Is this a Stoddard bottle?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Mhill70 said:
I have two of these, and I think they're Stoddard bottles, but I don't know anything beyond info passed down to me.

These were found by my father in a trash pile way back in the far corner of our barn's attic in Marlborough, NH.
Could be from one of the Stoddard glass-houses. Here's my example. Someone else here dug one, I recall, and we discussed it here a year or two ago.
flaskamber.jpg

Attachments

• flaskamber.jpg
    flaskamber.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 445

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Stoddard I believe is a NH glasshouse so your very nice piece is almost certainly Stoddard. Nice find. That one has plenty of good crude glass character. Mhill70, one more thing, welcome to Tnet. And please feel free to post more pics of that one.

youk

Aug 11, 2007
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Sunray Probe
Whether Stoddard or not that is a fantastic bottle. Welcome and please feel free to post more pics, we at T-Net love pictures. Picture of the old barn would be cool also.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
gleaner1 said:
Stoddard I believe is a NH glasshouse so your very nice piece is almost certainly Stoddard. Nice find. That one has plenty of good crude glass character. Mhill70, one more thing, welcome to Tnet. And please feel free to post more pics of that one.
That's not correct, 'gleaner1' -- Stoddard is a town in NH which has a long glass-making history. At least three glass works are mentioned in McKearin & Wilson:

Granite Glass Works

New Granite Glass Works (dates are about right for this flask)

South Stoddard Glass Works.

Sooo... "Stoddard" glass is actually a reference to the locale where it was made, not to a specific glass works.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
gleaner1 said:
I see. Thanks for the shape-up and education. Harry at times is brutally tough...but always fair.
I don't mean to be brutal, 'gleaner1'; I am concerned with accuracy. You are an old hand at bottle collecting, but there are unknown numbers of newbies who will read these threads and take 'em as gospel. Misinformation spreads like a virus.

I wish I knew how to be more diplomatic and still be effective.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
No problem Harry I kinda had that coming to me anyway. I never knew the specifics about "Stoddard" and now we all do. Brutal was not a good choice of words on my part, and I don't think you are over-bearing in any way. At the end of the day we learned something, and that's good. Keep it up. Best regards, gleaner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread