Yankee Bottling works - CHICAGO

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this bottle last year, and can't seem to find any information about it online anywhere. I've never collected bottles, but enjoy finding them. I have kept several that have caught my eye, and they display very nicely on my wall. If anyone knows anything about this bottle, the help would be appreciated. I believe I tried posting it in the Whats it forum last year, but noone had a 100% positive I.D. on it. Thanks for all the help. I know someone out there needs to know something about it. If anyone knows, it'll be someone on this forum.

Attachments

• yankeewhole.jpg
    yankeewhole.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 357
  • yankeefr.jpg
    yankeefr.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 343
  • yankee-bottom.JPG
    yankee-bottom.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 338
  • 1932.JPG
    1932.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 343
OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I was hoping someone who knows their bottles would chime in by now. Are there any books anyone can recommend for bottles?

Either this is a very common bottle and I'm starting to look like a dee-di-dee, or its rare enough where noone knows anything about it :icon_scratch:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a good bottle, many people would be proud to own that one. I can't say it is awfully rare, and it probably isn't, but certainly it is a keeper. Its clean and has a very good embossing. Nice :icon_thumleft:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Your bottle is figured in SOFT DRINK BOTTLING: A HISTORY WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO ILLINOIS by Paul & Parmalee (1973) published by the Illinois State Museum Society. Unhappily, it is one of many Chicago bottles illustrated with no information on the bottler.

I suggest you send a formal request for information to the Chicago Public Library, attn: Reference Librarian. The Reference Librarian will have access to business directories which will have information on this bottler. My guess is that this bottle dates to the 1940s (directories are organized by date).

You might first do an Internet search for this bottler, and even a search for the business directories for Chicago.

Let us know what you find out.

MIKELGOLD

Jun 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YANKEE POP!

The Yankee Bottling Works was created and owned by my grandfather, Abraham Rubin, in Chicago, Illinois during the 1920's. Family lore has it that the company went out of business because of the stock market crash in 1929.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottle, but I don't do 20th century bottles..sorry

antlerman23

Jun 6, 2011
Rochester Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Fisher F2 (DD coil)
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The I in a Diamond on the bottom is the mark of the Illinois Glass Company, which merged with the Owens company in 1929 I believe, so this bottle predates that, the 27 on the heel could very well signify that this was made in 1927. If it was mine, that's what I would say. Very nice bottle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread