mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I've got a Coke question...

My question is in regards to the bottle on the right - the green one. I mean it's like, green. Not aqua, I mean green, almost comparable to a sprite - slightly lighter. I'm figuring it dates from 60's or 70's.
What I'm wondering is - why can't I find anything similar on the net? Is this colour something particular to Quebec? I've got six of 'em - all with variations on the embossing, but all except one, having a stylized D. My initial thought is that they were produced by the Dominion Glass Company. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 424

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Re: Okay, I've got a Coke question...

there is no patent D with a date IE dec 25 1915 or a bunch of numbers with patent D in front of the numbers...on it? that green looks like a early coca cola color.. to me.

OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71 said:
there is no patent D with a date IE dec 25 1915 or a bunch of numbers with patent D in front of the numbers...on it? that green looks like a early coca cola color.. to me.
Nope. Here're some more pics. Only one of them is embossed on the bottom with coca-cola ( the D I'm talking about is visible above cola). All the others are marked differently - c 1 - 10 - c 9 - e 16 - and the sixth has no markings on the base. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Attachments

• IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 412

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

mile-ender said:
creeper71 said:
Nope. Here're some more pics. Only one of them is embossed on the bottom with coca-cola ( the D I'm talking about is visible above cola). All the others are marked differently - c 1 - 10 - c 9 - e 16 - and the sixth has no markings on the base. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
The patent D I'm talking about is in the middle towards to under the coca cola if you can take a pic of the coca cola embossing both sides I might be able to tell more...

OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71 said:
mile-ender said:
creeper71 said:
The patent D I'm talking about is in the middle towards to under the coca cola if you can take a pic of the coca cola embossing both sides I might be able to tell more...
Okay, I know where you're talking about - Like on the christmas cokes.
The only thing marked on mine is TRADE MARK REG 10 FL OZ and the same thing in french

Attachments

• IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 404
OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71 said:
I'm going with u after seeing it close up 60's
But what's up with the green? Any idea?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

I want to say that the wicked greens and teal cokes of all ages are particular to Canada, but only guessing. SodaBottle Bob, he has some answers. I know there is a post of a Canadian beauty here not long ago, maybe a year ago, I will find it.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Well I hunted and fished for a spell lookin for the Tnet post with the unusual teal Canada coke and I cant find it. Could not find anything on google. Strange species those green and teal colored coke bottles.

OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Appreciate that gleaner :wink:
I've got a feeling too that it's a Canadian thing.

OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just some info to add, as far as the D is concerned. Pulled it from some other glass forum..
Dominion Glass is a Canadian glass company, it was formed from a bunch of different glass companys, like the Diamond Flint Glass Co. and others. The D inside the diamond trademark started being used on the bottoms probably around 1928, (that's when the trade mark was registerd anyway) before that the most common marks were only mould numbers and marks. The D in the diamond was used till 1970 when it was replace with a kinda bottle mould style D with the top open and the shape of a bottle in the middle.
So... I was pretty close with the dating at least.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

I found it by accident, seen in a post by bcboy not long ago. This piece a great example of the remarkable colors seen in cokes.

Attachments

• bottles 004.JPG
    bottles 004.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 274
OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gleaner1 said:
I found it by accident, seen in a post by bcboy not long ago. This piece a great example of the remarkable colors seen in cokes.
Yes it is. But also a lot older then mine, no?
Anyway, I punted one of mine off on ebay, just to see what sort of responses...
It finished with a handful of watchers and one buyer. Only sold it for a buck, but shipping was $14 so, I figure maybe I get ten for it at my next garage sale :)

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

I haven't be online for awhile and was scrolling through some of these older threads when I saw my name mentioned on this one. I am going with the flow and saying that the unusual green color is definitely a Canadian thing. So too is the unusual embossing where one side says Coca Cola and the other says Coke. There is no American made embossed Coca Cola bottle that I know of that looks like that. Plus, it doesn't even look all that old to me. I will have to study the photo of the base closer to be sure. Some foreign countries like France - Africa - South America, are still making soda bottles (and not just Coke's) that still look like they did back in the 1950s and 60s. I never have fully researched or collected them, but I do find them interesting. One thing I will say for certain about the Canadian bottle in question here ...

It definitely ain't a "Georgia Green" color like most Coca Cola bottles are referred to!

I'd call it "Canadian Green." Lol :thumbsup:

SBB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread