new inkwell

fishaddicit

Feb 9, 2011
Oahu, Hawaii
I'm new to the sight and tried to post a thread earlier but it didn't work out. Had a long description and introduction..oh well. I'll keep it short this time and see how it works out. This inkwell was found under an uprooted tree in Ewa Beach HI. Based on the timeline of what I could find on the net it is between 1867-1879?? i couldn't find anything in any bottle book though and we would appreciate any information that the pros may have. It is just under 2" tall and is a Keuffel & Esser CO. from NY.

Attachments

• SV204401.JPG
    SV204401.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 346
  • SV204403.JPG
    SV204403.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 322

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Machine made probably 1920+, drafting ink. Cool piece. Value... not too much, buck or two. If crystal clear wet shiny, maybe five skins.

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
gleaner1 said:
Machine made probably 1920+, drafting ink. Cool piece. Value... not too much, buck or two. If crystal clear wet shiny, maybe five skins.

Now that you mention it, that sure does look like an ABM seam right below the lip. The sickness of the glass makes it look older, but seams don't lie!

OP
OP
F

fishaddicit

Feb 9, 2011
Oahu, Hawaii
sodetraveler said:
gleaner1 said:

Now that you mention it, that sure does look like an ABM seam right below the lip. The sickness of the glass makes it look older, but seams don't lie!

I gotta ask..ABM seam??

808kaz

Nov 22, 2009
OAHU, HAWAII
ABM is automatic bottle machine...they started making bottles automatically around 1915 I believe when the machine was invented...the hot glass went into the mold and the machine would blow the bottle all at once what you are looking for is the seam line of 2 pc. mold in a ABM bottle the mold seams goes all the way to the top of the lip of the bottle because the bottle was made all at once...In a BIMAL (blown in mold applied lip), each bottle was blown individually then the lip was applied later, they put the hot glass in the mold and blew each bottle individually after they finished blowing the bottle they reheated the unfinished bottle and add on the lip later, that is why the seam line of a bimal bottle does not go all the way up to the top... Hand-blown bottles are unique and two bottles are never alike...The cruder the bottle the better...If you google you can find some really good information....aloha Kaz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread