Valentines Soda

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Re: Valentine's Soda

Rich ~

I intend to do some research for you. In the meantime I was wondering if it has a glass makers mark on it? It should. Look for anything out of the ordinary, and please show a picture or describe the mark as best you can if one exist. A lot of the acls like yours were made by Owens-Illinois. Their mark looks something like this 23 <(I) 57 By the way, I suspect the 57 on it is for 1957. That sounds about right based on the style, etc.

I'll be back!

SBB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Rich ~

First: I would like to update this for you with the picture below that I transfered from your original thread.

Second: It is definitely not a 1920s soda bottle. The painted label (acl) process wasn't even introduced until around 1934-35. It still looks like a 1957 era bottle to me. Nor do I believe it to be a Coca Cola related bottle. I can almost guarantee you if it was it would say Coca Cola on it somewhere.

Following this reply I will post a picture of a bottle cap and see if it leads us anywhere.

SBB

Attachments

• Valentine\'s Soda from TreasureNet (197x400).jpg
    Valentine\'s Soda from TreasureNet (197x400).jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 477

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

So far this is the only thing I could find that's even closely related to your Valentine's bottle. It's a "Valentine Punch" bottle cap from the 1930s. It's from Wilmington, Deleware. And even though not exactly the same, there may be a remote connection somewhere.

Lastly (for now), I would say because there were no e-bay bids on the bottle, that it most likely is not rare, and more than likely common. I know collectors who search e-bay on a regular basis (myself included) and just about anything considered rare and valuable is sought by someone, somewhere, and gets nabbed up immediately.

I'll be back. And hopefully with something more definitive and useful.

SBB

{Valentine Punch ... close but no cigar, yet! :dontknow:}

Attachments

• Valentine Punch Cap 1930 - 1939 Wilmington Delaware (200x190).jpg
    Valentine Punch Cap 1930 - 1939 Wilmington Delaware (200x190).jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 450

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

I cannot remember for certain,but it seems like I do remember this soda,either in the late 40's or early 50's.It could have been in the Kansas City area exclusively.There was a Valentine's Drive-In there that was very popular with the kids.

OP
OP
S

SammyRye

Greenie
Mar 27, 2011

SBB & Warsawdaddy -

Thanks so much for what you've offered so far! :icon_thumleft:

Is it possible that it's so obscure that no one realizes how rare it really is? I have never seen one like this before - on eBay or anywhere else! If it were more common, you'd think that someone, somewhere would have some info on it.

BTW - the bottle on eBay did sell on a re-list, although it only went for $13.95.

SBB - I looked again, and there is nothing else on the bottle other than what I described and pictured. Makes it more of a challenge, I guess.

Again - thanks for your help on this!

Rich

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rare is in the Eye of the Beholder,
Even Things Reported as rare in books,
Dosn't mean there isn't 10,000 of them Out there.

In the case of the Bottle, The fact you can't just Google it
& Find info to Me means Rare.

Valuable is different then Rare in My Mind.

Some call CSA Plates "Rare" There will probaby
be over a dozen Posted here this year again.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

I'm not jumping on the "Rare Wagon" just yet. After 35 years of collecting soda bottles I have learned the hard way that it's better to wait on that one until the jury is in. In the meantime, I think dilligent research is the way to go. That, and the possibility that someone who has one and can tell us more about it turns up.

I have numerous books and price list on soda bottles, but with the advent and popularity of e-bay and the internet in general, most books (rarity factors and prices) are almost obsolete these days. Bottles that were once considered rare have in some cases turned out to be dirt common. But I openly admit that the "Valentine's" bottle is one I have never seen or heard of, and it definitely has my interest. But I still hold true to empherical evidence regarding it's rarity and value.

I fully realize the illustration below is only "slightly similar" in design, but it "could" be an early generation "cousin" to the bottle in question. The only reason I even show it is because the more evidence (possible connections) we come up with, the closer we get to solving the mystery.

SBB

1927 Deco-Style (embossed) Soda Bottle w/Hearts. (Text pertains to patent and not brand).

Attachments

• Deco Bottle with hearts 1927 (2) (395x650).jpg
    Deco Bottle with hearts 1927 (2) (395x650).jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 441

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

And here is the "Valentine's" bottle again for close proximity comparison. Notice the similar shoulder sloping and double-ring mid-section.

Attachments

14.4 KB · Views: 441
    14.4 KB · Views: 417

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Rich ~

I know we just went through this, but please humor an old man's obsession just one more time and look really, really close for a glass makers mark. The odds of it not having one are about 100 to 1

Use a magnifying glass if you have to, and especially look around the "heel" which is the outer portion of the very base. Look for "anything" no matter how insignificant it may appear. Numbers - Letters - Anything! Also look on the lip. "Glenshaw Glass Works" hid their mark on the lip in the form of a tiny-tiny letter that can only be seen with a magnifier.

I transfered this info from your other thread so I wouldn't have to keep going back to see and remind myself exactly what you posted ...

"On the bottom, from the glass mold, it says "1257" and "7 Fl. Oz."

Thanks again,

Bob

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Rich ~

The more I look into this, the more convinced I am that your bottle was made by the "Glenshaw Glass Co." Everything points to it. At first glance the picture below just looks like a big blur. But within the white box that I "painted in" you will see the letter ... R

This R is on the lip of one of my bottles and is so small you wouldn't believe it. That's why you need a magnifying glass to see it. And even then you sometimes have to tilt and turn the bottle just right to see it. But if your "Valentine's" bottle does in fact have a letter like this on the lip, we will know exactly when it was made.

In the case of my "Tom Tucker / Southern Style" bottle, the R represents 1946

(I told you I was obsessed ... Lol :o)

Bob

Attachments

• Base - Lip photo of Glanshaw Glass bottle R for 1946.jpg
    Base - Lip photo of Glanshaw Glass bottle R for 1946.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 388
OP
OP
S

SammyRye

Greenie
Mar 27, 2011

Bob -

As you suggested, I got out my magnifying glass and looked over the entire bottle carefully.

One thing I forgot to note, is that on the bottom there is a 1/2" diameter circle with, what appears to be, a "C" in the center. There is nothing else anywhere on the bottle. I even looked at it under my lighted magnifier. Does this help?

Rich

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Rich ~

Heck, ya it helps. That's what I was hoping for. It doesn't necessarily date it for us yet, but at least we're making some progress now.

Thanks, I'll be back

Bob

C in a circle ... Chattanooga Glass Company, Chattanooga, TN & other plant locations in later years (1901-1988), mark was used c.1927-1988. The circle reportedly may be either "single line" or "double line" on some earlier bottles.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Rich ~

I intend to do some research for you. In the meantime I was wondering if it has a glass makers mark on it? It should. Look for anything out of the ordinary, and please show a picture or describe the mark as best you can if one exist. A lot of the acls like yours were made by Owens-Illinois. Their mark looks something like this 23 <(I) 57 By the way, I suspect the 57 on it is for 1957. That sounds about right based on the style, etc.

I'll be back!

SBB
yeah I was going to tell him that it was probably 1957 earlier today, but I didn't want to piss anyone off for telling them there was no way it was from the 30's.. if I remember correctly since the mods erased alot of the post.. the original post said it had either 2157 or 1257 on bottom of base... which would lead anyone familiar with bottle to know it's prob 1957....

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71 said:
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Rich ~

I'll be back!

SBB
yeah I was going to tell him that it was probably 1957 earlier today, but I didn't want to piss anyone off for telling them there was no way it was from the 30's.. if I remember correctly since the mods erased alot of the post.. the original post said it had either 2157 or 1257 on bottom of base... which would lead anyone familiar with bottle to know it's prob 1957....

Are you referring to the other post the OP did concerning this bottle? The one that they linked in the first post and is still up. Or is there something else?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice bottle, I would love that beauty in my collection. No doubt it's rare, maybe more rare than a number of the classic pieces that run into the thousands of dollar value at auction. But the record soda is maybe 500 beans. That's the rub with bottles. I say sit on it a bit.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71 said:
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Rich ~

I'll be back!

SBB

Nothing was erased.
The other post Is in What is it

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

a Question.

even though it says
a refreshing & Delicious beverage
The fact they do not have a Company address.

Could this Mean these were not made for soda at all.
& Instead contained Candy or a Single rose,
And sold Simply as Valentine's gifts ?

Every soda Bottle I Own says
where it comes from.

OP
OP
S

SammyRye

Greenie
Mar 27, 2011

Bob - Thanks for finding the info on Chattanooga Glass. I'll try and take a photo of it tonight. It's difficult, but I'll see what comes out.

Jeff - I'm making the assumption that it was soda - or, at least some kind of bottled drink, as it states 7 FL. OZ on the bottom of the bottle and printed / painted on the reverse lower rim. I guess they (whoever "they" may be) could have put just about anything in there, but my bet is still on soda or other beverage.

Creeper - I think someone noted that the eBay auction had stated the bottle was "circa 1920's" - I have no idea when it was made, but I think we're getting closer to finding out.

Yes, the original post is still in "What is it", but I thought this would be more appropriate, so I linked this posted to that one. Thanks to Bob for pulling in my original pics into this post - just in case the first one gets removed.

I think we're getting somewhere on this - not just for me, but for anyone else who may come across one and for collectors in general. As mentioned, I couldn't find any info in the Antique Bottle Collectors website, so, evidently, no one there knows about it either.

Thanks - Rich

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Rich ~

I'm still doing some "digging" but it's starting to look more and more like your "Valentine's Soda" may in fact be a hard to find and/or rare soda bottle. It's definitely a soda bottle, that much I know for certain. But where it originated, just how rare, and how valuable it may be, still remain a mystery. I have done quite a bit of research on the proper dating of various soda bottles, and it just so happens that the Chattanooga Glass examples are some of the most difficult to pin-point regarding their weird codes. But the consensus so far is that 1957 is currently the most logical date.

I intend to stick with this for the time being until I either find something worthwile or else hit a dead end. Either way, I'll be back.

SBB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions