jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I stumbled upon a bottle dump today in Southern New Jersey while metal detecting. Being mainly interested in metal detecting, I cannot let this site go to waste. It is very remote and I stumbled upon it strictly by accident. I doubt very many people would ever find this place. I posted a pic of one bottle that caught my eye. I cannot date the bottles but I do know I found an "Arthur Whitney for Governor" pin among the bottles. He ran for NJ Governor in 1925.

Attachments

• IMG_2096.jpg
    IMG_2096.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 679
Last edited by a moderator:

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
You found a hot spot..

I'm working a site in Trona,Ca circa same era. Dug up a piece of art glass from that period yesterday. Etched upon it's base are 'CZECH' and 'SLOVAK'. It was made near the Carpathian Mountains in Slovakia when Slovakia was a province of Czechoslovakia. On January 1,1993 Slovakia gained nationhood. Expect to find LOTS of goodies at your site.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Don't give away that site too quickly, it may have some bottles worth their weight in gold. The one pictured appears to be just a utilitarian bottle maybe ABM( automatic bottle maker) or BIMAL..( Blown in mold, applied lip) Not too old but if you dig down in that area the bottle dump may have some age to it. Look for the seems on the sides of the bottles. This will give you a general idea how old it is. The seem over the top of the bottle would suggest post 1910 or so, ones that do not extend over the lip would be earlier in most cases( but not all). Okay goodluck and I wish I lived close by cause I would come and dive in their with ya :thumbsup: jgas

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The bottom of the bottle has an embossed "4" with a triangular symbol like <8> with "7" next to a sideways "6" (or "9").

The site is actually Colonial but I am fairly certain that this particular bottle dump originates from the 20s and 30s.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jgas said:
Don't give away that site too quickly, it may have some bottles worth their weight in gold. The one pictured appears to be just a utilitarian bottle maybe ABM( automatic bottle maker) or BIMAL..( Blown in mold, applied lip) Not too old but if you dig down in that area the bottle dump may have some age to it. Look for the seems on the sides of the bottles. This will give you a general idea how old it is. The seem over the top of the bottle would suggest post 1910 or so, ones that do not extend over the lip would be earlier in most cases( but not all). Okay goodluck and I wish I lived close by cause I would come and dive in their with ya :thumbsup: jgas
I will be in NJ in 2 weeks but I'll be in Central NJ near Rahway...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread