A little help on this old Coca Cola bottle UPDATED: More Pics added Now for sale

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites
This bottle is now for sale
http://www.bonanza.com/booths/slikt...oca_Cola_Syrup_Bottle_Coke_Enameled_Label_ACL
I want to thank SODABOTTLEBOB for all his help with this bottle!
Original Post:
My landlord brought over this Coke bottle today and I need a little info on it. It appears that this is an old Coke syrup bottle but I dont know the age and can't find any info on the net. He had it stored on a shelf and in the past used it as a candle holder, so the blue streaks you see are candle wax. I have not had a chance to clean it up yet (kinda scared to clean it). The bottom of the bottle has an H in a triangle. It stands 11.5 inches tall.
Just need to know:
#1 Age
#2 Value
#3 How to clean it
#4 Is it real or just something someone made up for a collectors piece?

Thanks for any help
Picture028.jpg

UPDATE: Was able to get the wax off with simple hot water, melted right off! Thanks to SODAPOPBOB for the tip. Here are the cleaned up pics.

Attachments

• Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 528
  • Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 631
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 537
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 518

groundsmn

Sep 9, 2010
Re: A little help on this old Coca Cola bottle

What does the under side look like, and the top?

OP
OP
stewystarr

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites

groundsmn said:
What does the under side look like, and the top?
The underside just has a triangle with an H insede. At the top, the seam goes almost all the way to the top (about 1/4 inch down). It seems to have been ground down smmoth on the lip. I don't know much about boottles so I hope this is useful information.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

stewystarr said:
that is not Identical .. the ACL (PAINTED) Logo is different.. maybe be worth more or less then the one you own.. I am assuming the bottle shape is the same tho....

I found one Identical to your..however I would think your would be worth more since it has better ACL... as long as you can clean the wax off without peeling any of the ACL off with it..an there are no chips or cracks in the bottle

http://www.rubylane.com/item/316717-7966/Coca-Cola-13-Hutchinson-Glass

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The H in a triangle mark refers to J.T.& A. Hamilton, Pittsburgh, PA (1884-1943). Mark reportedly used approximately 1900-1943.

OP
OP
stewystarr

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites

Thanks creeper!
That looks like the same one. The wax should come off with no ill effects, only a small portion touches the lable. I have been searching all day to find one like this and didn't think of rubylane. The lable on mine is applied really thick, thats why I thought it might not be real, but all indications so far point to it being authentic. Landlord will be excited to find out but I am going to hold off till I get more info.

OP
OP
stewystarr

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites

diggummup said:
The H in a triangle mark refers to J.T.& A. Hamilton, Pittsburgh, PA (1884-1943). Mark reportedly used approximately 1900-1943.

Thanks, that narrows it down a bit!
creeper71 said:
stewystarr said:
that is not Identical .. the ACL (PAINTED) Logo is different.. maybe be worth more or less then the one you own.. I am assuming the bottle shape is the same tho....

I found one Identical to your..however I would think your would be worth more since it has better ACL... as long as you can clean the wax off without peeling any of the ACL off with it..an there are no chips or cracks in the bottle

http://www.rubylane.com/item/316717-7966/Coca-Cola-13-Hutchinson-Glass
I know the bottle is not identicle but The top and bottom of it wereand the shape was. The lable was not. Sorry for the confusion

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your bottle is a soda fountain syrup bottle and would have been used as such, at a soda fountain. Here is a group of three that sold for $850.00 in Oct. 2005, notice the one on the left. I would think yours dates near 1920 or before, but i'm no expert.

10473_0541_1_lg.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PS- I wouldn't clean it too much, leave that to an expert. You can stick it in the freezer and try to remove some of the wax that way since cold wax is usually easier to remove than hot wax but other than that I wouldn't go further than using some Dawn detergent and a bottle brush for the inside and a very soft cloth on the outside trying not to rub on any of the painted label.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

stewystarr said:
Thanks creeper!
That looks like the same one. The wax should come off with no ill effects, only a small portion touches the lable. I have been searching all day to find one like this and didn't think of rubylane. The lable on mine is applied really thick, thats why I thought it might not be real, but all indications so far point to it being authentic. Landlord will be excited to find out but I am going to hold off till I get more info.
I found what I found out about your bottle in less then 2 mins,but I have a certian way of looking things up.. seems to work most of the time....

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

diggummup said:
Your bottle is a soda fountain syrup bottle and would have been used as such, at a soda fountain. Here is a group of three that sold for $850.00 in Oct. 2005, notice the one on the left. I would think yours dates near 1920 or before, but i'm no expert.
price have gone up some for hard to find bottles an down some for the more common ones since 2005.. but most the money in the above post was probly for the seltzer bottle

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
price have gone up some for hard to find bottles an down some for the more common ones since 2005.. but most the money in the above post was probly for the seltzer bottle
Agreed, I still think it's a $200 bottle to a collector if it's not sick.

OP
OP
stewystarr

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites

diggummup said:
creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
Agreed, I still think it's a $200 bottle to a collector if it's not sick.
$200 would be nice, what do you mean by if it's not sick?

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

The sickness would be a white film that is etched into the inner part of the glass. It would have to be tumbled. But I dont believe you would tumble that bottle. :thumbsup: Nice find for sure. jgas

OP
OP
stewystarr

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites

Thanks, looks like I've got some things to learn about bottles. Have not attempted any cleaning yet so I dont know about any white film.
Is this a good candidate for eBay or is there a better place to sell this one?

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

stewystarr said:
Thanks, looks like I've got some things to learn about bottles. Have not attempted any cleaning yet so I dont know about any white film.
Ebay would be the best place for this bottle, but you will want to clean the bottle the best you can..also take clear crisp pics an use the zoom feature on ebay..cost extra but worth the money when it comes to bottles...

OP
OP
stewystarr

stewystarr

May 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites

creeper71 said:
stewystarr said:
Ebay would be the best place for this bottle, but you will want to clean the bottle the best you can..also take clear crisp pics an use the zoom feature on ebay..cost extra but worth the money when it comes to bottles...
Thanks Creeper, I sell a little at ebay so I am familier with them (just hate the fees). I'll get some better pics for sure. Not in a real hurry just want to make sure I am doing whats best for my landlord.

I found out a little history on this particular bottle. My landlord bought the building around 30 years ago. This bottle was in the building (along with alot of other things he had in the past that he sold). The building dates back to the 1830's and in the early 1900's was a General store and later five and dime store and did have a Soda Fountain at one time. So it's safe to say this bottle has lived here all it's life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions