old Coca Cola Bottles

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
DemonWolfe ~

I noticed the title on your pics had Camden, Arkansas. Was that name on the bottle itself? Those types of straight-sided Coca Cola bottles with city and state on them are usually worth more than those without it. Typically the no-name ones sell for about $25.00 in case-worn condition and more for near-mint examples. They usually date from around 1902 to about 1917/20. The most popular of that era are the amber brown bottles. Especially ones with an arrow embossed on them. Most would have had paper labels as well like the one I posted earlier. Bottles with original paper labels are worth about double for ones without labels. There are so many variations of Coca Cola bottles I doubt anyone knows exactly how many.

Thanks for sharing.

SBB

{1915 ad}

Attachments

• Coca Cola ad 1915 Eddie Collins White Sox.jpg
    Coca Cola ad 1915 Eddie Collins White Sox.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 5,685

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
wOW! I wasn't expecting them to be straight-sided Coca Cola bottles ... I didn't go back to orginal post, but these was the ones bought at estatesale/auction?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
wOW! I wasn't expecting them to be straight-sided Coca Cola bottles ... I didn't go back to orginal post, but these was the ones bought at estatesale/auction?
Yeah right, I was expecting the ones we used to return to the store for a nickel or a dime back in the 60's-70's since it was at an auction and they weren't bid on.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
creeper71 said:
Yeah right, I was expecting the ones we used to return to the store for a nickel or a dime back in the 60's-70's since it was at an auction and they weren't bid on.
That is what I thought.. I like to see the rest of the bottles he bought if there was a straight-sided there probly is a x-mas coke in there too.. This is why it is so important for someone who has no clue what they have to post pics... I'm pretty sure We all thought they was 60's or later cokes.....

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
A lot of them are 60s 70s I believe. I had to dig through them to find the older ones. That was the only one like that I found and it did say camden arkansas on it. I need to find my camera to take better pictures.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Interesting ~

If the bottles were/are 60s-70s they would have painted white labels. The older ones would either be straight-sided or the contour/hobbleskirt bottles, and embossed only. Check out the website below for a good sampling of various Coca Cola bottles. Just click on all of the blue links. And especially the "Hall of Fame" and "Bottles for Sale." (In fact, all of them)!

SBB

Digger O'Dell Website Link: http://www.antiquebottles.com/coke/index.html

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Here is another link, and one of my favorites. It shows the evolution of the Coca Cola bottle in chronological order with detailed information for each one, including dates. I'm sure everyone will enjoy it, especially if you are obsessed with soda bottles like I am. Lol :thumbsup: I'm no expert, but I sure do "dig them old soda bottles." (I have at least 100 Coca Cola related pictures in my photo gallery, plus dozens of pictures of other brands. I also have about 50 soda pop related website links like the one below).

SBB

Coca Coca Bottle Evolution Link: http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/ETclanSETH114/bottlehistory.html

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
It would be so much eazier for Sodabob an I to help if we could see pics of the bottles... those mountain dews could have value ,but would have to see to say

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
here are some more pictures if i can ever get them loaded on here.

Attachments

• 100_0023.jpg
    100_0023.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 2,589
  • 100_0024.jpg
    100_0024.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 5,966
  • 100_0025.jpg
    100_0025.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 2,581
  • 100_0026.jpg
    100_0026.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 2,503

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
DW ~ :notworthy:

Thanks. It know it can be a little tricky posting pictures sometimes. But you gott'er done and that's what counts.

The majority of your bottles look to be in pretty rough shape. If they don't clean up well it will dramatically diminish their value. I can't tell precisely every detail of every bottle, but based on what I can see, even in great shape most of them are likely not worth more that about $5.00 each.

However, you may have noticed that I said "majority" and "most," which means there is a silver lining to every dark cloud. And that silver lining is the "Red Bird." It's the best one of the lot. If it cleans up nice it could be worth about $20.00 to $35.00. And possibly even $50.00 if it turns out to be in near-mint condition.

There are a lot of different opinions on how best to clean acl (painted label) bottles, but I recommend soaking it first in "distilled white vinegar" (not red vinegar) for at least 24 hours. Vinegar is safe and effective for removing a variety of stains, including rust. After soaking it, use a mild dish detergent and luke-warm tap water to clean it up a little more. Use one of those yellow sponges with the green scrubber on one side and gently give it a light but good scrubbing. Unless the paint on the bottle is totally wasted (which it doesn't appear to be) it should clean up real nice. Test it first with the scrubber side, and if nothing drastic happens, don't be afraid to use a little elbow grease. I have done this exact thing to dozens upon dozens of bottles and never had a problem. If the inside needs cleaned, tear off a small piece of the sponge and use a straightened out, wire coat hanger, and scrub-a-dud the innards.

And then take another picture of it and show us your ready to sell $50.00 bottle. But if it doesn't clean up, and brighten up, then I'd put it in the box with the other $5.00 bottles. :thumbsup:

Of course, your Mountain Dew bottle might be something too. Exactly what hillbilly names are on it? I can't quite make them out. There are about 900 named Mt. Dew bottles. Some are worth a lot more than others. The values depend on the "names" and the "condition."

Check out those small embossed Coca Cola bottles, too. Please tell us exactlly what they say under the script on the main label, and also what city/state names (if any) are on the bases.

Thanks again,

SBB

Speaking of pictures ...

Attachments

• Red Bird Bottle (2) (155x650).jpg
    Red Bird Bottle (2) (155x650).jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 2,358

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
DW-I believe my bottle collecting friend told me once to use a S.O.S pad to clean ACL'S (painted labels) BUT YOU NEED TO LIGHT RUB DO NOT FORCE..... SodaBob I never seen the redbird bottle but I picked the Redbird an the Hillybilly dew as the "money makers" I was right about one of them.. are you sure the hill billy dew isn't a higher dollar value?

Ps I just read the whole post you did mention the Dew bottle...

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Creeper71 ~

The MD might be something if we knew what hillbilly names were on it. If you can make them out, great. (I can't). Otherwise, I'm sure DW will be along soon and let us know.

The only reason I no longer use SOS pads (I used to) is because they are kind of scratchy on the paint. That's why I now use the yellow/green sponges because they are safer. SOS pads are okay for non-painted labels.

SBB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I did some of my secret detective work and determined that the Mountain Dew bottle says ...

Filled By Lesile Hughes

(And was made in 1965)

So far so good ... Now more research is needed to determine rarity and value.

SBB

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
You guys are good, thats exactly what the mountain dew bottle says. Thanks for all the info, it is much appreciated. I will get some more pictures in the morning for you to look at

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
I did some of my secret detective work and determined that the Mountain Dew bottle says ...

Filled By Lesile Hughes

(And was made in 1965)

So far so good ... Now more research is needed to determine rarity and value.

SBB
I did probly exact same thing as you did an what you wrote above is all I could see also...

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
I seen atleast one pat D coke bottle also, can you take pics of the coke bottles We want pics of the coca cola that is in middle of the bottle.. we are interested in seeing what is wrote under coca cola... also the town name on the bottom of the bottle of the cokes can make a huge difference in value...

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
DW ~

I overlooked the Dr Pepper bottle. I know it says "Good For LIfe" on the ribbon below the name. But does it have the "10-2-4" clock on the other side? Also, does it have a city/state on it?

Thanks,

SBB

Attachments

• Dr Pepper design 1929-1930.gif
    Dr Pepper design 1929-1930.gif
    97.5 KB · Views: 2,901
  • Dr Pepper bottle DW - TN - 4-17-11 (650x488) (100x323).jpg
    Dr Pepper bottle DW - TN - 4-17-11 (650x488) (100x323).jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 4,341
OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
here are some more pictures, I hope you can see the one of the bottoms, its kinda blurry. I rinsed the red bird bottles out, they cleaned up a little bit, one has better color than the other one does. and yes the dr. pepper bottle does have 10-2-4 on the back. thanks for looking at all these. some of the town names on the bottom of the coke bottles were wichita ks, greatbend ks, hays ks, all of them were kansas towns

Attachments

• 100_0029.jpg
    100_0029.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 3,849
  • 100_0028.jpg
    100_0028.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 2,334
  • 100_0027.jpg
    100_0027.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 3,783
  • 100_0030.jpg
    100_0030.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 2,204

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
DW ~

Thanks again.

It appears the Dr Pepper is pretty common. Maybe $2.50

The Red Bird on the right looks good = Maybe $20.00. It is no doubt from Hayes, Kansas also. Likely 1950s. There should be a two-digit date code on the bottom like a 53 for 1953. Too bad the other one is sun faded. If you intend to display them, try applying a little vegetable oil to the label. It won't hurt anything and will temporarily brighten them up.

Please tell me more about the Hayes, Kansas Coca Cola bottle. Is it a 6 oz or 6 1/2 oz? Remember, the smaller the town the rarer and more valuable they are.

SBB

OP
OP
DemonWolfe

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
the hays kansas coca cola bottle is a 6 ounce bottle, it has the coca cola logo embossed on it and below it it says trademark registered in U.S. patent office, otherside says trade mark registered min. contents 6 fl oz. bottom of bottle reads hays kans. there are a couple small numbers embossed on the side about 3/4 of the way down, kinda hard to read but i think they say 54-95.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions