old Coca Cola Bottles

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
DW ~

Thanks. It turns out that the 6 oz Hays is common and only worth maybe $5.00. I was hoping (for your sake) that it was a 6 1/2 oz, which is a currently unknown bottle from there. (Or possibly was never even made). The 95 is a glass plant/mold/tracking number. The 54 is for 1954 when it was produced at the glass factory. Nice bottle but not worth a whole lot.

It looks like the Red Bird is going to be the best of the bunch. The Squeeze is cool too, but also fairly common.

I'm not sure yet about the "named" Mountain Dew. If/when I find anything I will let you know, unless someone comes up with something before I do.

It's been a fun thread in any event, and hopefully we all learned a thing or two from it. Please let us know if you sell your bottles, especially the Red Bird.

Thanks,

SBB

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
DW ~

Thanks. It turns out that the 6 oz Hays is common and only worth maybe $5.00. I was hoping (for your sake) that it was a 6 1/2 oz, which is a currently unknown bottle from there. (Or possibly was never even made). The 95 is a glass plant/mold/tracking number. The 54 is for 1954 when it was produced at the glass factory. Nice bottle but not worth a whole lot.

It looks like the Red Bird is going to be the best of the bunch. The Squeeze is cool too, but also fairly common.

I'm not sure yet about the "named" Mountain Dew. If/when I find anything I will let you know, unless someone comes up with something before I do.

It's been a fun thread in any event, and hopefully we all learned a thing or two from it. Please let us know if you sell your bottles, especially the Red Bird.

Thanks,

SBB
I was trying to look up that Dew Bottle for DW an went into a dew collectors site an caught a virus, luckly my avast caught it an shut it down before any damage, I am only writing that for you Bob so you don't get infected when your clicking links to help DW....

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Creeper71 ~

Thanks. I have run into such viruses in the past. I now have a good security system to catch that kind of stuff.

Besides, just about the only website that has true Mountain Dew values is a pay-for site that the guy charges about $75.00 a year to join. Either that or he wants you to buy his book for the same amount. (I won't do either ... especially considering his site used to be free). His site is continually updated. The book, (I have heard) is basically outdated in relation to changing values, but does have a wealth of other information for the die-hard Mountain Dew collector, which I'm not.

However, I have other resourses at my disposal that I can tap into. It just takes time to get the proper replies.

I'll be back!

SBB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Creeper ~

That's creepy! Lol :tongue3:

To be honest with you, I bet it's a total fake! That sort of thing has been going on for decades with people claiming this-or-that was found in a bottle. The odds of something like that actually occurring at the factory are about a jillion to one.

SBB

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Creeper ~

That's creepy! Lol :tongue3:

To be honest with you, I bet it's a total fake! That sort of thing has been going on for decades with people claiming this-or-that was found in a bottle. The odds of something like that actually occurring at the factory are about a jillion to one.

SBB
I too have my doubt on it....

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Here's one that is "for real" and occurred on e-bay just this year. It involved the bottle shown below that was linked back to the factory. As with most companies, Mountain Dew has it's share of "goof-off" employees. Apparently a night shift crew took a Pepsi Cola/Teem bottle and printed a weird Mountain Dew label on it. (Pepsi bought Mountain Dew in 1964. The Teem bottle is dated 1965). Anyway, there is only one known example of this bottle (but there may be others ?) and it sold on e-bay for $1,500.00. I bid on it myself until it passed the $200.00 mark. And even it's sort of a fake. But since it was done at the factory, it is considered rare and valuable. As for the one with the toy inside, I wouldn't pay $20.00 for it. You would likely never be able to resell it to a serious Mountain Dew collector, no matter what you told them. It's so easy to un-cap and re-cap a bottle, that it's hardly even worth trying to pass off as original.

SBB

{So called night-shift bottle that sold for $1,500.00}{I don't think we have seen the last of it}

Attachments

• Mountain Dew Bottle AA.jpg
    Mountain Dew Bottle AA.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,723

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
DemonWolfe ~

I found out that the Mountain Dew "Filled By Lesile Hughes" bottle is considered somewhat common, and valued at about $10.00 to $15.00 in great shape. Yours appears to have some case wear (rubbed scars around base and shoulder) which would devalue it to maybe $5.00. Just about the only time a serious Dew collector will buy a case worn bottle like yours is if it is rare and one they don't have. Otherwise, the more abundant and common bottles really need to be in near-mint condition to attract any attention. But it is still a keeper in my opinion, and a good one to start with on your way to collecting all 900 of the other named bottles that are out there.

E-bay is probably as good a place as any to judge the demand and value of the various bottles. Currently there are about 200 listed. I usually only look at the "Auction" bottles. The "Buy It Now" bottles wouldn't there (at least not for very long) if they were priced right and in demand. The "Auction" bottles to watch for are the ones with multiple bids. That is a good indicator of the bottles that collectors are looking for and want the most.

Good hunting, and thanks again for the interesting thread.

Bob

Attachments

• Mountain Dew Bottle - DemonWolfe - Filled By Lesile Hughes.jpg
    Mountain Dew Bottle - DemonWolfe - Filled By Lesile Hughes.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 2,029

cwlead

Mar 24, 2008
I read on these posts that small town hobbleskirts were collectable. Does anyone knew if Flat River Mo. 6oz. 1953 bottles are uncommon? I have 2 and both have very little scuffing on sides. Thanks in advance for any help.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
CW ~

Considered common for that year and in the 6 oz. The later 6 1/2 oz Flat River, Missouri hobbleskirt is unknown to exist or possibly never made. Yours in near-mint condition is about a $5 to $10 bottle. Possibly more to a local collector. The ones that say D Patent are the most popular to collect. The 1915s and 1923s are too, but they are a lot harder to come by.

The inset below will help you to identify the five different variations of "embossed only" (not painted label) hobbleskirts.

SBB

Attachments

• Coke Book.jpg
    Coke Book.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,274
  • Coke Book.jpg
    Coke Book.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,854

cwlead

Mar 24, 2008
Thanks SSB. If no more collectable than that will put it back in storage and my kids can fight over it when I'm gone Hope you had a great Easter today. Thanks again

PA Girl

Aug 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question . I recently found a green embossed glass coke bottle that has a stamp of Wilkes Barre, PA and a "C" on the bottom.
The side stamp is a 58 with a dot over it and 34 is the other number. Is this bottle from 1958 or 1934? Is in good condition although
I'm not sure I can get the all the film left over from the river mud off the inside. It's been buried for at least 50 years in what used to
be a local dump in the front yard. We found while diving a grave for our dog a few weeks ago, What kind of value, if any, does this bottle have?

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
You will need to post a pic there are hundreds of coca cola bottles.. but from what your describing it may be a pat D bottle ..If so it will be a hobble shirt on one side in the middle of the bottle under the Coca Colla brand name in small numbers an letter that will say pat D then a bunch of numbers .. this one I will use as example is fictious so don't look for this exact number. Pat D888937642

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
PA Girl ~

Welcome to the forum.

According to Coca Cola guru Bill Porter, Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania bottles are listed in his book as follows ...

Note: The "Series" pertains to what is embossed just below the Coca Cola signature. Depending on what Series it is, we should be able to come up with a date. The C on the base is most likely for the Chattanooga Glass Company who made the bottle. Is it just a C by itself or a C in a Circle?

1915 Series = Scarce+
1923 Series = Scarce +
D'Patent = Common
6 Ounce = Scarce
6 1/2 Ounce = No Known Example and Possibly Never Made

SBB

Last edited:

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Creeper71 ~

Thanks. It's great to know we are all on the same page. And speaking of pages, this is another one to help keep things going until DemonWolfe gets back from his sheep killing spree. Lol :tongue3: (Yikes! I hope he finds that amusing). I realize the main thing here is in seeing pics of DW's bottles, but I could talk endlessly about Coca Cola if given the chance. Below is a picture of their various bottles throughout the years. If you ever come across one of their first Hutchinson types, 1899-1902 (even if chipped or ratty looking) be sure and snag it because one of those puppies in great shape is worth about $2000.00+ these days.

SBB

{Coca Cola Lineup}

Reminds me of a bottle site found in the early 1980's. At that time, I formed a metal detecting club. We became a non-profit society and were utilized by various counties and cities to dig urban sites. We would donate finds to museums; keep coins and duplicated finds. Sometimes, contractors allowed us on large project sites such as the first Miami, Florida basketball arena construction project. A 6-block area was demo'd and cleared and I brought several members of the club to search this expansive area. We found old bottles; coins; and I found a handful of WW1 uniform buttons and a Collar emblem, where they used to assemble and muster along old Miami Avenue. Even after WW1 my grandfather used to march in veteran parades in Miami--I still have his uniform. Anyhow, one of our club members searched along a RR spur, finding a perfect straight sided coke (circa 1906-1915). He saw numerous broken ones and called many of us over to investigate. A few more were found, but with numerous glass fractures. Eventually we found a large sump area, about 25-ftx50ft-plus in length. It was full of solid straight sided cokes, all with their tops twisted off by the old style mechanical capping machines. We never found how deep the sump was, being impossible to dig thru a solid glass cube of bottles-but, there had to be bottles numbering in the thousands. Soon after, dozers kept running over it. We were asked to clear out because soon after, backfill was placed on property and new building constructed over the sump.

Last edited:

PA Girl

Aug 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for getting back to me. The "c" on the bottom is in a circle and it is a 6 fl oz bottle.
I'm not seeing any Pat D. or numbers other than the dotted 58 34 number I mentioned previously.
Does this information help?

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
PA Girl ~

The 6 ounce embossed hobbleskirts were made between about 1951 and 1958. So it appears yours is a 1958. The 34 is some kind of a mold or style number. As I posted earlier, the six ouncers from Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania are considered scarce. Scarce (according to Bill Porter) means there are only about 20 to 100 examples known to exist which have been confirmed. As for value, it depends on (1) Demand. (2) Condition. For example: To a local collector in Pennsylvania the demand would be greater than it would for someone like me who lives in California. Even if the bottle was in mint condition and valued at $25.00 in Barre, Pennsylvania, if I saw one here in southern California for $2.00 I would probably pass on it simply because of the location. The same likely applies for Pennsylvania collectors when they see California bottles. And as far as selling one like it on ebay is concerned, that's a horse of a different color because then you really get into the demand aspect, especially if a Pennsylvania collector doesn't own one yet and just has to have it. All things considered, I hope it's in excellent condition as collectors these days (myself included) are getting more and more particular all the time about condition because there are so many venues now for acquirng decent bottles.

C in a circle ... Chattanooga Glass Company, Chattanooga, TN & other plant locations in later years (1901-1988), mark was used c.1927-1988. The circle reportedly may be either "single line" or "double line" on some earlier bottles.

I hope this information helps.

SBB

Last edited:

JD Lightle

Dec 29, 2012
I have couple Barstow hobble skirts that someone might be interested in. One is mint and the other one has been circulated but minimal scratching.

image-2515996109.jpg

image-3805193077.jpg

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a FLAGSTAFF ARIZ Coca Cola bottle (Pat.D-105529) It has a 5 (symbol) 39 near the base under Pat. It is in near perfect condition with no mineralization. Also (2) Albuquerque NM same Pat# 52 (copywrite symbol) 43 under patent. Is there any collector value for either of these bottles?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions