OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Re: SOUTHWEST SODA BOTTLES & MORE

d2 ~

Thanks for closing the gate. And, nope, the cattle didn't get out. Around these parts the most popular breed are Black Angus. Like the ones you get at "Jack In The Box."

Below is a bottle I don't have, but hope to one of these days. There is an amber variation of it on e-bay right now with a current bid of $81.00. And now you know where I got my B~B brand (Buckaroo Bob).

[ Bronco Beverages - 1950s ]

Attachments

• Bronco Beverages.jpg
    Bronco Beverages.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 567
OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

And here's me back in the day looking for bottles I didn't have ...

( Back then they called me "Bear Claw Bob." But that's another story )

Attachments

• Indian Statue.jpg
    Indian Statue.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 554
OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Here's a picture of myself taken in 1974 when I was 22 years old. Now you know what I meant when I said ... "that's another story."

Attachments

• Me - 1974 - Cuyamaca State Park, Calif. (406x402).jpg
    Me - 1974 - Cuyamaca State Park, Calif. (406x402).jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 570
OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

And here I am from the 4th of July, 2010. I'm standing in front of my 8-foot-tall corn, which is a carry-over hobby of mine from my so called "Wild as a Native American days." I haven't planted my corn crop for this year yet, but intend to next week.

Attachments

• 4th of July 2010 - 3 (513x600).jpg
    4th of July 2010 - 3 (513x600).jpg
    120 KB · Views: 582

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

SODABOTTLEBOB said:
And here I am from the 4th of July, 2010. I'm standing in front of my 8-foot-tall corn, which is a carry-over hobby of mine from my so called "Wild as a Native American days." I haven't planted my corn crop for this year yet, but intend to next week.

Excellent stuff Bob. Here in upstate NY we say (about corn) "Knee high by 4th of July".

OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

gleaner1 ~

I have heard that saying myself ... but due to the abundance of sunshine we receive here in southern California, we are able to plant and harvest earlier. I typically pick and eat fresh corn around the first of August.

I was dusting off a few more of my bottles and found the one shown on the right that I had forgotten about ...

[ Dillon Beverages - Dillon, Montana - 1947 ]

[ Plus a $250.00 Roy Rogers lunch box and thermos that I only paid $20.00 for ]

Attachments

• Montana Bottles and RR Lunch Box 001 (640x363).jpg
    Montana Bottles and RR Lunch Box 001 (640x363).jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 567
OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Here's a better picture of my 1947 Dillon bottle. I just love those bucking broncbuster labels. In another life I would like to have been one. That is, I mean a rodeo cowboy, not a horse! (Although I have been called a horse's rear-end a time or two). :whip2:

B~B ... a.k.a. ... "Broncbuster Bob"

Attachments

• Dillon, Montana acl soda bottle - 1947 001 (284x700).jpg
    Dillon, Montana acl soda bottle - 1947 001 (284x700).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 530
OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Here's my collection of 1960s Boy Scout arrowheads that I spoke about earlier. I placed a penny at the bottom for scale. It still amazes me how small some of them are. In order to find arrowheads that small we used a screen-box to filter out the dirt. I have always believed the smaller ones to be more ceremonial (jewlery) than functional. They are so small they wouldn't even attach to an arrow shaft properly. The second one in from the top right is a scrapper of some kind.

Attachments

• Arrowheads from Boy Scouts 1960s 001 (700x485).jpg
    Arrowheads from Boy Scouts 1960s 001 (700x485).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 541
OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

There is also a Boy Scout story related to this olla. My troop and I were on a campout when I found it. Artifacts like this are rarely found out in the open, which means you typically have to crawl into rock cavities and caves to find them. I still remember my scout master yelling at me the day I found it, when he said ... "Bobby, if you get snake bit under those rocks, don't come crying to me for help!" (He was a jerk anyway that none of us boys liked very much). But was he ever surprised when I came out holding the pot in my hands. We had it looked at by a so called expert later, who dated it circa 1910. He referred to it as a "Water Jug" because it was found along and old Indian trail in the desert foothills. It would originally have had a deer or rabbit hide secured over the top to help hold the moisture in and keep out the bugs.

Attachments

• Indian Pot Olla.jpg
    Indian Pot Olla.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 537
OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

I was dusting off a few more of my bottles and found another one I thought would be of interest here. It's not exactly what I would call a true southwest bottle with a cowboy or Indian on the label, but still one that is popular with southwest collectors. I have seen them sell on e-bay in the $50.00 price range.

It is a "Lockhart" acl from Lockhart, Texas. Which is located about fifty miles northeast of San Antonio. Notice in the picture that it has three overlaping images on the label ... 1. Texas. 2. A heart. 3. A padlock. Plus, on the shoulder it has the embossed image of the town's skyline.

Also to follow is an article about the bottle that I scanned from one of my books.

B~B Lock :love9:

[ Lockhart, Texas - 1939 ]

Attachments

• Lockhart ACL.jpg
    Lockhart ACL.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 455
OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Article from my acl book. (Shown on two pages. But the publishers put the wrong pictures on the wrong pages).

Attachments

• Lockhart article from my acl book (700x485).jpg
    Lockhart article from my acl book (700x485).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 494
OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

If you ever end up with so many bottles that you don't know what to do with them, you might try using them to build a house like some guy did at Calico ghost town. Calico is a California state park and located in the desert just north of Intersteate 15, and just a few miles east of the town of Barstow. Both towns are on the highway between Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

I can't recall the exact count, but there are supposed to be "thousands" of bottles used in the construction, which are plastered and/or cemented into place. I believe it was built in the 1930s or 40s. Calico used to be owned by the Knotts family (of Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park, Ca.) but was donated to the state sometime in the 1950s. It was the families ownership of Calico that influenced the creation of the theme park.

BOTTLE"HOUSE"BOB :smileinbox:

Attachments

• Calico Ghost Town Bottle House.jpg
    Calico Ghost Town Bottle House.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 517
  • Calico Ghost Town Bottle House.jpg
    Calico Ghost Town Bottle House.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 452
  • Calico Bottle House Closeup (482x685).jpg
    Calico Bottle House Closeup (482x685).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 460
OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Although not a true southwest bottle, (unless you consider the Gulf of Mexico to be part of that region) I wanted to share this particular bottle because it is my alltime favorite and one I have been hoping to acquire for a long, long time. I don't have one yet, but hope to someday. The problem is they are extremely rare and typically sell for $700+ when they show up on e-bay, which they rarely do. It's a "Kidd's Cola" from the 1950s and, in my opinion, one of the most graphically interesting acl soda bottles that was ever produced. If I were a rich individual I would glady pay up to $1,000.00+ to add one to my collection.

This will just about wrap things up on this particular thread, as I have shown every bottle I have that is southwest related. But if you have a southwest bottle not already shown, please feel free to share it with us.

Thanks again for all the friendly comments ...

Adios Amigos ... or should I say ... "Arrrggh Maties" :icon_salut:

SODABOTTLEBOB

[ Kidd's Cola - Pirate - Ship in background - Treasure chest ]

(Below) [ 1933 Captain Kidd Chewing Gum Card ]

Attachments

• Kidd\'s Cola.jpg
    Kidd\'s Cola.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 450
  • Kidd\'s Cola.jpg
    Kidd\'s Cola.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 423
  • Captain Kidd 1933 Bubble Gum Card (546x662).jpg