photo 1 sm.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 796
  • photo 2 sm.jpg
    photo 2 sm.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 813
K

Kentucky Kache

Re: Weekend Dig... Part 2

Good score. Those old jugs should be worth something.

K

Kentucky Kache

flipper said:
What about the hires water jug? Are they worth anything?

I don't know, but I would think all the old jugs would be worth something. Should be able to find out about them with Google.

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet

lets see some close ups of the crook jugs and soda bottles. that carboy is a nice find in the box. a wild guess with out close ups i would say you have at least 300.00 there maybe a lot more

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

flipper ~

Great finds! I would be interested in the date of the Hires bottle, and whether or not the bottle itself has any other embossment on it. Look on the underside of the base and there should be a glass makers mark along with some other numbers and letters. Please describe and/or photograph what you find. A closeup of the sodas would be cool too.

Gracias'

SBB

P.S. The High Explosives box is pretty dang cool also. And I know you've heard this one, but I'm gonna share it anyway ...

Q: What makes this noise? ... "Shissh Boom Baah"

A: An exploding sheep!

OP
OP
flipper

flipper

Feb 21, 2011
Middleport Pa

I will post close ups tonight. What is a carboy? Sorry, still wet behind the ears... ???

That was baaaaahhhd Bob.... ;D

Flip

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet

Carboy or demijohn is what the big bottles are called. not positive of the spelling but I think that is right. any bottle 5gal or larger is a carboy. A demijohn can be as small as a gal

OP
OP
flipper

flipper

Feb 21, 2011
Middleport Pa

Thanks for the info....

Below are some closer pics of some of the bottles.

Attachments

• hires 3.JPG
    hires 3.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 656
  • hires jug.JPG
    hires jug.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 676
  • sunrise.JPG
    sunrise.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 690
  • peppers.JPG
    peppers.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 707
  • lotta.JPG
    lotta.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 707
  • jug 3.JPG
    jug 3.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 721
  • jug 2.JPG
    jug 2.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 718
  • acl.JPG
    acl.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 744
  • asci.JPG
    asci.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 821
  • atlas.JPG
    atlas.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 711
  • german.JPG
    german.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 714
  • jug 1.JPG
    jug 1.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 737

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Flipper ~

Thanks for the pictures. And while we have you in the hotseat, how'z about a couple of more questions ...

1. Please tell exactly what the deco style soda bottle says. All I can make out is something like ...

wap ... Pepper SS

Plus any info on the base like a makers mark - numbers - etc.

2. Hold on to and take good care of that five gallon Hires bottle. I suspect it may be something extremely rare. Are there any makers marks - numbers - etc on it's base?

Thanks a lot.

SBB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Flipper ~

I found the following connection between Charles Elmer Hires and "Purock Water." But there were no dates associated with it. However, it reads like it took place while Hires was still alive, which was ... Born 1851 - Died 1937

Charles E. Hires

Rose Hill

Charles E. Hires is best known as the originator of Hires Root Beer, a soft drink which gained great popularity in the 1870s. Hires began his career as a pharmacist and sold a variety of health remedies and flavoring extracts before introducing root beer as a healthful and refreshing alternative to beer.

He also sold ginger ale which was called champanale. While soft drinks were at the heart of his enterprise, he was a pioneer in manufacturing condensed milk and had factories in towns near dairy centers including Malvern, Pennsylvania. His Purock Water Company distributed spring water around the region and Hires water coolers were found in many Philadelphia area buildings. Hires’ sugar plantations in Cuba supplied his bottling plants around the country.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Flipper ~

I've discovered they also produced "Purock Water" in quart sizes with paper labels from the 1920s. Apparently these quart size bottles are not necessarily rare or valuable, but definitely interesting.

There is also a variation to the five gallon bottle (see below) which is described as a Demijohn. Notice the different closure (lip/top) on the one below and compare it to yours. The five gallon bottle below has Philidelphia, Pa. on it, but it does not have "Hires." Perhaps it was made before Hires bought the company.

Attachments

• Purock Water Bottles 1920s (600x538).jpg
    Purock Water Bottles 1920s (600x538).jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 731
  • Purock Demijohn non-Hires\' (438x700).jpg
    Purock Demijohn non-Hires\' (438x700).jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 944

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Flipper ~

I apologize for bombarding your thread like this. But it's just my nature to do so when someone discovers something of interest to me. I just wish I knew a thing or two about ceramic jugs. Which I don't. But no doubt someone will come along soon who does.

There is a "Purock" bottle almost identical to yours on e-bay right now. The seller is not familiar with dating codes, but based on his description I know it's an Owens/Illinois Glass Company bottle and made in 1952. The mark on the e-bay bottle looks something like this 28 <(I)> 52 Yours may have a similar mark. The two digits on the right are for the year it was made. The e-bay example currently has only one bid of $9.99, which indicates that the interest and rarity of it may not be as I suspected. Of course yours has the original wood frame, so that would just about double any true value. Straight up, without having to deal with shipping, etc., my educated guess on the value of your Purock/Hires bottle with original case is about $75.00 to $100.00. (I'd likely pay that much for one if I saw it in a local antique shop and didn't have to mess with shipping).

e-bay link. Check it out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PUROCK-CHARLES-...529?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b90ba4d9

SBB

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I would call all these water bottles "carboys" . . . right down to the half-gallon size.
demi5Lteardrop.jpg
Among collectors of hand-finished bottles, carboys are generally large bottles with short necks and wide mouths. Demijohns are thought of as being smaller with longer necks and a more-or-less standardized mouth diameter (without checking, I believe that diameter to be 1.25").
mineralwatermcdermottNM.jpg carboyspanishb.jpg

[size=12pt]
ETYMOLOGY OF THE TERM "DEMIJOHN"

The origins of the terms "demijohn" and "carboy" are interesting as they shed light on the historical details of their manufacture and use.

McKearin and Wilson, in their book AMERICAN BOTTLES & FLASKS AND THEIR ANCESTRY, provide this account:

Sometime about the middle of the 18th century, two new names entered the language to designate large glass bottles, usually wickered and used for transport of liquids. They were "demijohn" and "carboy," which were used sporadically by merchants and bottle manufacturers before the 19th century. "Carboy" was used far less often than "demijohn," at least in advertisements. Also, it would seem, neither was admitted to a dictionary until well into the 19th century.

According to accepted derivation, "carboy" was a corruption of the Persian "garabah"; "demijohn" of the old French "dame jeanne," as large bottles were called. Though the spelling of "carboy" apparently was consistent, that of "demijohn," perhaps because it was spelled mainly from its sound when spoken, was most unsettled before 1815; "demi-john," "demi jeanne," "Dame John," "dime-john," "Demie-John," "Demi John," "Demy John," "dimijohn," and "demijohn." "Demijohn," which became official, occurred most frequently.

In the newspaper advertisements covered, the name was not found until 1762, but in 1753 "wickered bottles wthat will hold 5 gallon" were advertised -- demijohns, of course -- which suggests that "demijohn," however spelled, was unfamiliar before the 1760s. In fact, THE OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY (1933) gives 1769 as the date of its first appearance in print, and for "carboy," 1753, fourteen years before it was found in the advertisements.

In 1767, carboys ranging from a quart to seven gallons in size were offered to the public, and in 1792 demijohns of eight and nine gallons containing spirits of turpentine. The two names, it would seem, were used interchangeably in the eighteenth century, and for the same sizes of bottle. Afterward, the majority of demijohns were bottles from a quart to five gallons in capacity, a few up to ten gallons; carboys were principally a gallon to twenty gallons, with sizes from six gallons predominating.

And demijohns, wickered, were destined to contain non-corrosive and bland liquids, whereas carboys, set in very heavy wicker "tubs," were for acids and chemicals.

Attachments

• mineralwatermcdermottNM.jpg
    mineralwatermcdermottNM.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 576
OP
OP
flipper

flipper

Feb 21, 2011
Middleport Pa
Thanks for the info..

To answer some of the questions:

The Purock/Hires - Bottom is hard to read because of the dirt inside. It is ## <I> #. I will try to decifer tonight,.
Pepper S - it is not WAP it is CAP... Bottom reads Ashland PA and some numbers. I will try to decifer tonight.

Thanks again...

Flip

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
flipper said:
Thanks for the info..

To answer some of the questions:

The Purock/Hires - Bottom is hard to read because of the dirt inside. It is ## <I> #. I will try to decifer tonight,.
Pepper S - it is not WAP it is CAP... Bottom reads Ashland PA and some numbers. I will try to decifer tonight.

Thanks again...

Flip
That's a pretty nice haul! I like the stoneware jugs. Their hard to dig in this condition. DD

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Flip ~

Thanks for the follow-up. It turns out that the so called Pepper S bottle is actually called "Pepper's" The large S on the end is just a clever designing of the spelling. The pictures below are variations of the different Pepper's bottles. All of them are from Ashland, Pa. I have no specifics on the dates, but they seem to range between the 1920s and 1950s. It wouldn't surprise me if the Dr Pepper Company sued the brand for copyright infringements. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm this yet, but I am still searching. The bottle doesn't appear to be rare or valuable, but it would likely be of interest to a Dr Pepper collector who also collects knock-off and copycat brands.

SBB

1st pic .... Possible variation of early embossed bottle (Smooth Sided. Yours appears to
be vertically fluted on the sides).
2nd pic ... Paper Label Variation
3rd pic .... Painted Label Variation "Pepper Up"

Attachments

• Pepper\'s Soda Bottle variation Ashland, Pa. (298x700).jpg
    Pepper\'s Soda Bottle variation Ashland, Pa. (298x700).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 586
  • Pepper\'s Orange Soda Bottle (281x700).jpg
    Pepper\'s Orange Soda Bottle (281x700).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 596
  • Pepper Up acl Ashland, Pa (259x700).jpg
    Pepper Up acl Ashland, Pa (259x700).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 562

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
It looks like our mysterous Mr. William Pepper was also involved with bottling beer in the early days. Note that the following says he was a "Bottler" but not a "Brewery." Which has always seemed strange to me, but I have heard of this sort of thing occurring before. The bottle is a blob-top and would date sometime into the late 1800s. During the Prohibition years, which lasted between 1920 to 1933, a lot of beer makers/bottlers switched over to making soda pop. This may be what the Wm. Pepper & Co. of Ashland, Pa. did.

Wm. PEPPER & CO WEISS BIER (embossed beer bottle)
BEER BOTTLER - NOT AN ASHLAND, PA BREWERY
Aqua Green
½ Pint
Blob-top
Plate Mold
"REGISTERED" on back at heel

Attachments

• Pepper Blob-top beer bottle.gif
    Pepper Blob-top beer bottle.gif
    42.1 KB · Views: 477
OP
OP
flipper

flipper

Feb 21, 2011
Middleport Pa
Awesome info Bob, Ashland is about 25 mins from me. Will have to keep any eye out for the others.. Maybe get a set.. :wink:

What is the deal with the ARCO bottle? Soda/Water?

flip

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Flip ~

Great minds must think alike. Lol :tongue3: It just so happens that I am currently researching both the "Asco" and the "Ragazinsky" bottles. Unless someone comes up with something before I do ... I'll be back. And to tell you the truth, I'm thinking the "Ragazinsky" acl may be the best of the lot. Especially for a serious Pennsylvania collector.

By the way ... what do the date codes on the bases of both bottles show?

Thanks,

SBB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread