diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or anyone else that may know. Would the small 7oz. Orange Crush bottle on the left have originally been an ACL bottle or did it come like this?
100_4093.jpg

Attachments

• 100_4093.jpg
    100_4093.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 383
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: Good link. So it looks like the answer is no since it doesn't say ACL in the descrip.?
The diamond, front ACL

1) diamond orange ACL with white lettering [Fig 14]

2) diamond orange ACL with amber lettering [Fig 15]

3) diamond, fully embossed [Fig 16]

It's called an Amber ‘krinkly’ bottle, diamond front, fully embossed. My bottle is the wider 2 1/4in wide and the standard 7 3/4in tall. It's made by duraglas with the numbers 9 and 4 on either side of the Owens-Illinois logo on the underside of the base.
Question- The bottom of the base has what looks like C or G 909 embossed on it. The seam on the bottle curves at the base.Is that an effect caused by the base being applied during the ABM process while the glass is hot? Because it looks like the base was attached seperately during the manufacturing process.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Diggum ~

Correcto mundo! Good job. Your bottle is fully embossed and was never intended to have a painted label (ACL). The C?/G? 909 is a mold or tracking number of some kind. The Owens-Illinois / Duraglas mark ... (There should be a dot after the 4.)

9 <(I)> 4.

Duraglas

... would indicate that it was made in 1944. Owens-Illinois and Duraglas merged in 1940. So any bottle with the combined mark would be 1940 or later and easy to date. (See illustration below).

Automatic Bottle Machine (ABM) bottles were made in one piece, but involved various stages during the process. (See illustrations below). The entire process from gob (molten glass) injection to free-standing cooling of the bottle took about ten seconds. It's a little complicated to explain, but easy to understand when you actually see one of the machines in operation. ABMs were first introduced around 1905.

Bottle bases were part of the initial molding process, but in many cases they will have a visible mold seam. Prior to about 1892, (when the crown top was invented) soda and beer bottle closures (lips/tops) were applied seperately, but this process was, for the most part, discontinued by the turn of the century.

Orange Crush bottles are highly collectible, especially the fully embossed amber variations like yours. The website I posted explains the variations better than I would be able to do here.

I hope you find this information helpful. No one I am aware of knows it all. I am constantly learning new things myself.

SBB

[ Below ]

1. Owens-Illinois makers mark.
2. ABM stages 1-2-3
3. ABM stages 4-5-6

Attachments

• Base snippet from ACL book Owens Illinois.jpg
    Base snippet from ACL book Owens Illinois.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 360
  • Base snippet from ACL book Owens Illinois.jpg
    Base snippet from ACL book Owens Illinois.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 316
  • Owens ABM Stages 123 (700x339).jpg
    Owens ABM Stages 123 (700x339).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 327
  • Owens ABM Stages 456 (700x419).jpg
    Owens ABM Stages 456 (700x419).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 359

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Now I'm confused. Isn't the answer to the original question, "Yes, this 7 oz. amber bottle is an ACL bottle."?

Isn't the diamond label considered ACL? When new, the bottle in question would have had such a painted label, no?

(From the Orange Crush web-site) "Amber ‘krinkly’ bottles may be differentiated into several styles according to the pattern and color of the diamond patterned ACL on both the front and back of the bottles. The brown, or amber, was introduced as a special new technique to protect the product inside from deterioration of ultra-violet light.

"Fig 11 Fig 12 Fig 13"

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Harry ~

I agree that the guy's explanation is a little confusing. Figures 11-12-13 refer to the bottle "shape" and not necessarily embossing vs acl. Take another look where it shows the following ... (copy/pasted).

The diamond, front ACL

1) diamond orange ACL with white lettering [Fig 14]

2) diamond orange ACL with amber lettering [Fig 15]

3) diamond, fully embossed [Fig 16]

... and you will notice the bottom one ... 3) ... indicates "fully embossed." Why these are mixed in with the acls is a little confusing to me as well. But I do know for a fact that Orange Crush at one point made embossed only amber bottles. The ACLs all had smooth surfaces under the paint.

I will stand humbly corrected if anyone can provide empherical proof that Orange Crush never made a fully embossed, amber bottle.

Thanks,

SBB

[ Figure 16 / 3) From Website ]

Attachments

• Orange Crush Embossed Amber Bottles (300x403).jpg
    Orange Crush Embossed Amber Bottles (300x403).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 369

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
In the "clear" bottle section of the website you will see numerous pictures like the one below. They "appear" to be embossed/acls, but they were actually hand painted by the author himself simply to highlight the embossed lettering. I am including Michael Rosman's e-mail address should anyone have questions for him.

[email protected]

SBB

Attachments

• Orange Crush Bottle - Clear - Hand Painted To Highlight Embossing (286x435).jpg
    Orange Crush Bottle - Clear - Hand Painted To Highlight Embossing (286x435).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 436

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I see now . . . the bottle resembles Figure 16, not Figure 11 as I thought. I couldn't make out the embossing in the diamond in the original image -- old eyes, I guess. Thank you. I manipulated the image to see it better.

100_4093.jpg

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there is a dot after the four and further research tells me that the plant number 9 is Streator, Illinois.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Harry ~

I was surprised by your reference to "old eyes." I honestly pictured you as being in your 30s. Unless you are in your 30s and think that's old? If so, just wait until you're 59 like me - talk about bad eyesight! :tard: Lol. I have always enjoyed and appreciated your comments. You obviously have a cataloged understanding of old bottles that few others have. Please keep up the good work and research. You are a credit to the hobby.

Diggummup ~

My continuing attempts to date old soda bottles has been a bit of an obsession with me. There are a number of glass maker codes that still befuddle me, and make no sense whatsoever. But I do have a fairly good understanding of the Owens-Illinois / Duraglas bottles. So if you ever have a question regarding them, please feel free to ask. I will always do what I can to help.

SBB

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Harry ~

I was surprised by your reference to "old eyes." I honestly pictured you as being in your 30s. Unless you are in your 30s and think that's old? If so, just wait until you're 59 like me - talk about bad eyesight! :tard: Lol. I have always enjoyed and appreciated your comments. You obviously have a cataloged understanding of old bottles that few others have. Please keep up the good work and research. You are a credit to the hobby.

Diggummup ~

My continuing attempts to date old soda bottles has been a bit of an obsession with me. There are a number of glass maker codes that still befuddle me, and make no sense whatsoever. But I do have a fairly good understanding of the Owens-Illinois / Duraglas bottles. So if you ever have a question regarding them, please feel free to ask. I will always do what I can to help.

SBB
Thanks SBB. Your knowledge and efforts are always appreciated. I'm sure i'll find something else that i'll need your help with. You are a gentleman and a scholar. :thumbsup:
You were mentioning "old eyes", i'm only 45 but i'm blind in my left eye and have glaucoma in my right (both actually), so I just hope I can still see when i'm 59. :) I just started wearing reading glasses last year, even though my right eye is supposedly 20/20 still. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread