Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Chicago Consolidated Bottling Co." (age?) & Morel Mushrooms

Met up with Lookn4seated in the morning for a little hunt, I didn't find much in way of morels but I did see the bottom half of the bottle sticking out of the ground and was suprised to see it was intacked (99 times out of 100 they are broke). The bottom has no markings on it, just a rim/ring around the bottom. I did find a brown embossed bottle (I think its also a Chicago Consolidated but the neck was sheared off so I left it. Im gonna go back sometime and dig around and see what else I can pullup. This bottle is heavier than a hutch bottle and wouldn't doubt if it weighed over 1lb, also the mold seam stops before the lip and it has 2 chips in it (1 on the base and the other on the lip) but anyday I can walk out of the woods with an oldie is a great day for me - they definitely don't make them like they used to.

This was found out in the woods maybe 10' from the edge of a road so I want to check and see if its a dump site or maybe it was tossed from a car way back in the day. I know its after the "Hutch's" period with this style of lip and was thinking maybe 10's-30's, am I close?

"Chicago Consolidated Bottling Co."
"George Lomax Pres."

Attachments

• 5-10-11 01.jpg
    5-10-11 01.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,361
  • 5-10-11 02.jpg
    5-10-11 02.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 599
  • 5-10-11 03.jpg
    5-10-11 03.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 566
  • 5-10-11 04.jpg
    5-10-11 04.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 467
  • 5-10-11 04.jpg
    5-10-11 04.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 435
  • 5-10-11 03.jpg
    5-10-11 03.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 519
  • 5-10-11 02.jpg
    5-10-11 02.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 506
  • 5-10-11 01.jpg
    5-10-11 01.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 472

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Re: "Chicago Consolidated Bottling Co." (age?) & Morel Mushrooms

TreasureFiend ~

Great find and interesting bottle. My initial reaction is that it's a beer bottle. Are there any numbers or letters anywhere on it other than on the label itself? Look close around the "heel" or outer rim of the base. It appears to be machine made, (post 1905) and likely (as you said) from the teens, circa 1915.

SBB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

TF ~

I found the following that may help. At the bottom it indicates there is also an amber brown variation that was hand blown. If you are not already familiar with dating those types of crown-top bottles, start by checking the mold seams on the sides and see if they go all the way up and over the lip, or if they stop somewhere in the vacinity of the shoulder? And are the seams solid straight lines or do they waver in what appears to be two seams side-by-side? I am trying to determine if it was machine made or hand blown. If hand blown it would date prior to about 1905. The crown-top was invented by William Painter in 1892, but I'm pretty sure it's not that old, but possibly from about 1900 to 1905. I'm still convinced that it's a beer bottle.

Thanks,

SBB

Bottle 55852AA - Chicago Consolidated Bottling Company
Embossed: () CHICAGO / CONSOLIDATED / BOTTLING CO. / ILL. // TRADE / CCBCo (monogram) / MARK / () REGISTERED / C & Co LTD //
Dimensions: 7 x 2 1/2 (3 1/2)
Manufacturer: Marked - Cunningham & Company Limited
Material: Glass Design: None Mold Type: Two Leaf Mold
Form: Cylindrical Edge Design: None Plate Mold: No
Shape: Porter Base Design: None Plate Code: None
Sides: Shoulder Design: None Sealed: No
Sunken Panels: None
Pictures: None
Notes: No Notes.

Variants:

1. Amber, Smooth Base, Rounded Taper, Hand Blown, Metal Lightning Stopper, Chicago, IL, United States

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266

Nice find. The company made soda and mineral water in the early 1900's. The Mfr's were Paulina and Kinslo. Bob's time frame is right but the company was around in the 1880's. Do a search in Google books, they have info on them.

Wolverine.

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank guys, I was able to see 2 sets of faint numbers on the (back/reverse from the front) just above the base is says -

"345" "ROOT" "9"

And the seam looks like a perfect straight line and definitely stops about a 1/2" before the base of the lip and does not go thru it. Thanks again the great info!

Attachments

• bottle1.jpg
    bottle1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 465
  • bottle2.jpg
    bottle2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 524
  • bottle3.jpg
    bottle3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 454
  • bottle4.jpg
    bottle4.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 408
  • bottles5.jpg
    bottles5.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 493

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

TF ~

Great pictures. Thanks.

The Root Glass Company was in Terre Haute, Indiana and became part of the Owens-Illinois Co. around 1932. Root Glass was the first glass factory to make the well known Coca Cola hobbleskirt bottles, which are dated 1915 but not issued until 1917. The 345 is one of the Root companies mold numbers. They used (I believe) 405 and 408 for their Coca Cola bottles. I am not 100% certain about the 9, but I suspect it may be for 1909.

Your bottle appears to be a BIM (Blown In Mold). And even though ABMs (Automatic Bottle Machines) were first introduced around 1905, hand blowing continued well into the late teens. It took years for some companines to transition from hand blowing to machines. It was a very expensive transition at the time, and some of the smaller glass factories fell to the wayside because of it.

The picture below was taken in 1908 and shows a typical small operation of bottle making. Of course an operation like Root would have been much larger, but the principals were basically the same. The copy/pasted info that follows accompained the picture ...

~ * ~

The 1908 image below is from a West Virginia glass factory and shows a "gaffer" (blower) at work to the far left with his crew. This is a typical mouth-blown shop crew which included the "mold tender" boy (lower right) with a set of "tongs" in his right hand, the "gatherer" (behind gaffer) with the next gob of glass for the gaffer on a second blowpipe, and the "snapper up" (to the right standing) with a snap case tool in his left hand. The caption to the photo is: "Glass Blower and Mold Boy. Boy has 4 1/2 hours of this at a stretch, then an hour's rest and 4 1/2 more: cramped position. Day shift one week: night shift next. Grafton, W. Va. Location: Grafton, West Virginia" (Lewis Hine photo, Library of Congress).

Attachments

• BIM Photo 1908 (700x475).jpg
    BIM Photo 1908 (700x475).jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 570

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California

Here is a little more info on Root Glass ...

ROOT... Root Glass Company, Terre Haute, IN (1901-1932). Mark is often embossed very lightly along the lower heel, and sometimes is almost illegible. Root produced a huge variety of soda, mineral water and beer bottles. There were two separate factories in the early years, one for fruit jars and the other for bottles. The fruit jar factory was purchased by Ball Bros. in 1908, and operated by Ball until it was closed in 1912 or 1913. Root Glass Co. was bought by Owens-Illinois Glass Company in 1932. Later the plant became part of the American-Wheaton Glass Corporation. In 1962 it was sold to the American Can Company, and then sold again to Midland Glass Company in 1968. After being purchased by the Anchor Glass Container Corporation, the property was closed down in 1984.

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW Thanks for the info SODABOTTLEBOB !!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice bottle.. I have a hutch not worth much from Chicago Consilidated.. paid $5 for it and highlighted the embossing since it was weak

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread