Bottle Stoppers in 1885

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
These are the patent drawings for new bottle stoppers in 1885, as published in 1886. It may be that some (or many) of these patents were not developed into functional closures in the bottling trade; but, some were.

I believe that none of these was as successful as the Hutchinson Stopper or the Crown Stopper, but bottles that accommodated some of the alternatives are readily found. In 1885, all of the lip-finishes that used an alternative stopper had to be hand-applied.

Who can share an image or two of some alternative-stoppered bottles in his collection?

bottlestoppers1885partone.JPG
bottlestoppers1885parttwo.JPG
bottlestoppers1885partthree.JPG

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Harry ~

Are you looking for bottles to match some of the patents you already posted, or stoppers not yet shown? It's the "alternative" part that's confusing me.

Thanks,

SBB

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Harry ~

Are you looking for bottles to match some of the patents you already posted, or stoppers not yet shown? It's the "alternative" part that's confusing me.
Thanks,
SBB
Bottles that used stoppers other than Hutchinson and Crown. For example, here are two Phoenix Bottling Works bottles (for beer, I believe) that used two different types of stopper. One is a basic blob-top with no evidence of special finish, but the other has what I've identified as a "Baltimore loop-seal" lip finish.

beerphoenixpair.jpg

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Next question ...

Is it okay to use pictures from the internet, or are you looking for examples from personal collections? If internet pics are allowed, then I'm in. Otherwise I'm out because all of my personal stuff is 95% crown and 5% hutch.

Gracias'

SBB

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
Next question ...

Is it okay to use pictures from the internet, or are you looking for examples from personal collections? If internet pics are allowed, then I'm in. Otherwise I'm out because all of my personal stuff is 95% crown and 5% hutch.

Gracias'

SBB
Perhaps you can get the thread started with some judiciously-selected examples from the www.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Here's one you don't see every day. In fact, it's just rare enough that you will likely never see one ... except here, of course. The text and pictures below will explain it for the most part, but it appears to be the sort of thing you would need an operator's manual to figure out. If you ever see one of these in an antique shop, buy it! I doubt the dealer will even know what it is, and will likely describe it as a radiator cap or something like that. But we know better, don't we? And in case you are wondering about drinking from a bottle like this, that's why mugs were so popular back in the 1800s.

SBB

~ COIL SPRING STOPPER ~

The patent is #36,266 issued in 1862 to Albert Albertson. Albert Albertson, of New York, N.Y., created this unusual closing device that required an elongated bottle lip, designed to hold a metallic rod having a button attached to it's lower end. Secured to this button was a disk of rubber, and then attached to the metallic rod was a coil spring that provided upward pressure to make the seal. At least five examples of Albertsons bottles are known to exist. Some are base marked with; "Albertsons Stopper/Made By J. Mathews, New York/Patented Aug. 26, 1862." This stopper was to be marketed by John Mathews, another up and coming bottle supplier, destined to wield great influence over the bottling trade. Albertson's idea eventually evolved into the famous Mathews Gravitating Stopper.

Attachments

• Coil Spring Stopper Picture.jpg
    Coil Spring Stopper Picture.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,272
  • Coil Spring Stopper Illustration.jpg
    Coil Spring Stopper Illustration.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,447

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Our Mr. Albert Albertson was a pretty inventive guy. Here's another one of his ingenious stopper patents from 1864 ...

Attachments

• Albert Albertson Stopper Patent Oct 11, 1864 (488x700).jpg
    Albert Albertson Stopper Patent Oct 11, 1864 (488x700).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 748

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
And then John Matthews Jr. (Mentioned in the first part of this evolution of stoppers) comes along with this 1867 patent. It is typically referred to as the "Gravitating Stopper." (With the "graviting/gravity" part being self explanatory, as it "fell" into the bottle when released). But I really dont't see a great deal of difference between this 1867 patent and Albertson's 1864 patent. :dontknow: Of course, these and numerous other patent stoppers to follow were all made obsolete with the introduction of the "Hutchinson" closure in 1879 ... and even that eventually fell to the wayside with the invention of the "King of all Closures" which was the crown cap invented by William Painter in 1892.

Attachments

• John Mattews Gravitating Stopper Patent Aug 13, 1867 (263x700).jpg
    John Mattews Gravitating Stopper Patent Aug 13, 1867 (263x700).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 676

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Harry ~

I hope I didn't over do it. I based my postings on your recommendation to be ...

Judicious

ju·di·cious   /dʒuˈdɪʃəs/ Show Spelled
[joo-dish-uhs] Show IPA

–adjective

1. using or showing judgment as to action or practical expediency; discreet, prudent,
or politic: judicious use of one's money.

2. having, exercising, or characterized by good or discriminating judgment; wise, sensible, or well-advised: a judicious selection of documents.

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Then there is the Codd stopper, patented in Britain in 1872 by Hiram Codd, and still in use today in some parts of the world. There are a few American Codd stopper bottles; but, there are many variations (early and late) of this stopper used in many countries around the world.

Gas pressure holds a marble againt a rubber washer in the lip.

sodaCoddstopper.jpg

Attachments

• sodaCoddstopper.jpg
    sodaCoddstopper.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 645

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a David Boyle with a Thomas Patent Closure, similar to a hutch with more squared off shoulders it only appears on 25 bottles and it had a o-ring style washer in the neck and a marble to seal against it. This is the info from the Sodas and Beers website.

Thomas or Thasmo Closure, circ: 1895-1905, Occurs on 25 bottles,
Invented by: Frederic R. H. Thomas,
American Patent: April 23, 1895, Number: 537,946,
American Patent: December 10, 1895, Number: 551,102,
This closure was another improvement to the glass ball stopper that sealed against a rubber disk in the lip of the bottle. The improvement was that the marble jammed in the shoulder of the bottle when the contents were poured out.

BoyleThomaspatent.jpg

and this is the very common Putnam Closure.....Jim

PfannebeckerAmber.jpg

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice one epackage. Never seen that type before. Bob that spring one, never seen that either. I have this one, Zett's, I posted not too long ago. Common but in uncommon condition. I never bothered to unscrew it, I assume there is a cork seal. I will do some more close up pics of it disassembled. I do not know anything about this type.

Attachments

• slim 087.jpg
    slim 087.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 625
  • slim 086.jpg
    slim 086.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 619
  • slim 087.jpg
    slim 087.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 611
  • slim 086.jpg
    slim 086.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 526
  • slim 085.jpg
    slim 085.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 562

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting Gleaner, this is an unknown closure as of right now according the sodasandbeers.com website, you should send an e-mail with pic's to Tod who runs the site, I'm sure he would love to show pic's along with the bottle credited to you on the site.

I wonder if this might not be some sort of after market closure to keep the contents fresh ??? Thanx for showing it...Jim

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Here's one that is (somewhat/sort of) similar to the one Gleaner posted. It is described as follows ...

There were scores of different types of closures patented and used on beverage bottles, though most, like James T. Walker's 1885 patent closure pictured below, it had minimal impact. The seven primary closures/stopper types were the Cork, Gravitating, Codd's, Hutchinson, Lighting-Type, Bottle Seal, and Crown. These seven likely accounting for about 95% of the closures used on beverage bottles during the time span between 1800 through the 1950s.

[ James T. Walker - 1885 ]

Attachments

• Closure - James T. Walker Patent 1885.jpg
    Closure - James T. Walker Patent 1885.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,286

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
epackage said:
Very interesting Gleaner, this is an unknown closure as of right now according the sodasandbeers.com website, you should send an e-mail with pic's to Tod who runs the site, I'm sure he would love to show pic's along with the bottle credited to you on the site.

I wonder if this might not be some sort of after market closure to keep the contents fresh ??? Thanx for showing it...Jim

Jim I can't seem to be able to find the time or energy to do all this but I will soon. I work with the guy that I bought this one from, he had a few Zett's and they all had the same closure. I think I'll try to buy the lot. I agree with you, I think this could be an early aftermarket type closure, its too good to be true.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Harry ~

My understanding of the 1862 "Albertson Coiled Spring Stopper" is that it would require a "lip" or "groove" on the "inside" of the neck area to work properly. It's hard to tell from the picture you posted, but it sure looks like it "might" be the same or similar style of bottle. I don't believe when Anderson invented his stopper that a bottle to go with it had been designed yet. Sort of like putting the cart before the horse deal. I swear, I saw a picture of one of those bottles somewhere, but when I just looked for it again, I couldn't find it. Maybe it's me that's putting the cart before the pony. Lol :icon_scratch: If/when I ever find it again, I will be sure to post it. (But even as I write this, I have to wonder, if I did see a picture of one, why didn't I posted it already? Which I believe I would have). :dontknow:

Anyway, weird bottle!

SBB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions