Who Collects Cobalt-Blue Bottles? Show us!

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Harry Pristis said:
Here's another from my shelf. This Acker's English Remedy is more "cornflower blue" than some bottles we've seen here. I assume that this lighter, more-transparent blue is produced by using less cobalt in the glass batch.

eye water.JPG
I found one of those Hooker bottles years ago in Buffalo N.Y. How about an eye water and a castor oil bottle. DD.

Attachments

• castor oil.JPG
    castor oil.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 664

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Harry Pristis said:
I agree . . . that eye bottle is unusual. It has the shape of a kumiss bottle. What is the embossing on it? Size?
This bottle is 4 3/8" tall X 1 3/4" across the bottom. The embossing has L O R Co. around an eye. I'm just guessing it is an eye water because of the embossing. Without a paper label it's anybody's guess. DD.

Attachments

• MVC-822F.JPG
    MVC-822F.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 645
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
DiggerDave in Pa. said:
Harry Pristis said:
I agree . . . that eye bottle is unusual. It has the shape of a kumiss bottle. What is the embossing on it? Size?
This bottle is 4 3/8" tall X 1 3/4" across the bottom. The embossing has L O R Co. around an eye. I'm just guessing it is an eye water because of the embossing. Without a paper label it's anybody's guess. DD.
It's counterintuitive, but the embossing is read counter-clockwise: "ROL Co." for "Reading Optical Lotion Co."

In Knapp's 2006 Price Guide, a 5.5" example is listed as selling for $74.00.

How about that! Nice little bottle!

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I had a bunch of cobalt but :icon_scratch:

I have 2 of these that I found at a bottle dump. The second one is very plain looking with some simple embossing around the bottom.

I generally don't photograph bottles so sorry about the crummy pic, just thought I'd contribute..

BROMO SELTZER
EMERSON
DRUG CO.
BALTIMORE, MD

4 3/4" high - bottom stamp = 28

Attachments

• bromo.jpg
    bromo.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 603

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting here late on this post but wanted to share one that I dug in Albany Georgia. One of the best bottles that I have ever found.

Attachments

• Colbalt Soda (1).JPG
    Colbalt Soda (1).JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 494
  • Colbalt Soda (3).JPG
    Colbalt Soda (3).JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 501
  • Colbalt Soda.JPG
    Colbalt Soda.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 503

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here in Texas,I've seen people display these blue bottles on trees,homemade trees made out of 2x4's,and displayed outside. :icon_scratch:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy said:
Down here in Texas,I've seen people display these blue bottles on trees,homemade trees made out of 2x4's,and displayed outside. :icon_scratch:

Produce Guy,

I've seen those here too in S.W. Georgia. Most, if not all of them that I've have seen are recently drank wine bottles. I don't know why someone would display new bottles in the front yard except to advertise "Hey, we are a bunch of drunks over here" :laughing7:

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen those here too in S.W. Georgia. Most, if not all of them that I've have seen are recently drank wine bottles. I don't know why someone would display new bottles in the front yard except to advertise "Hey, we are a bunch of drunks over here" :laughing7:
[/quote]

Actually, I've wondered that too, except some of the wire "trees" are kinda cool. That big, tall one isn't so artsy, though. They're probably along the same lines as "gazing balls" in the midwest. Something purty to look at. Which is why I have new cobalt wine bottles on my kitchen window sills (because I don't have any OLD ones). I haven't put any in my garden yet. I've heard some have upended them and lined them up to make a garden edge. Now THAT would take some serious drinking.

Tigger

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cripple Creek hutch is the only one we have found/seen in 30 years,it is cornflower blue (not aqua) and is darker than the pic show,s ,forgive the pic it was taken looong ago ,sadly I dont have it anymore,one of my digging partners made me an offer that I just could'nt refuse. The cough drop container is the girlfriends ,mom got it for her at the bottle show a couple of years ago

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PikesPeakCharlie said:
The Cripple Creek hutch is the only one we have found/seen in 30 years,it is cornflower blue (not aqua) and is darker than the pic show,s ,forgive the pic it was taken looong ago ,sadly I dont have it anymore,one of my digging partners made me an offer that I just could'nt refuse. The cough drop container is the girlfriends ,mom got it for her at the bottle show a couple of years ago
What a bonehead !!! I brag about a couple of cobalt items,,,,and didnt post the pic's,,,,,Ahhhh gotta love old age ;D

Attachments

• 100_4204.JPG
    100_4204.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 811
  • cornflowerblue.JPG
    cornflowerblue.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 755

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Got this poison my first dig this fall. God Bless Chris

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 545

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ran into this at: http://www.squidoo.com/bottletrees
it says, "Southern Spirit Catchers with African Roots --
It used to be that you could see bottle trees scattered all over the Southern landscape. Usually in the country or along the bayous of Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennesee, and Alabama, bottle trees are a colorful folk tradition with the purpose of warding off evil spirits, while at the same time recycling colorful bottles. . . keeping evil spirits out of the house. The spirits become mesmerized with their dancing colors in the sun, and are drawn into the bottles only to be trapped for all eternity. At least, that's the way the story goes."

interesting site, and at least now we know the "why?" of it!

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
I received these two from Puerto Rico. Need cleaning. Any ideas about history, age or era?

Attachments

• Picot-1.JPG
    Picot-1.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Picot-2.JPG
    Picot-2.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Jarabe-1.JPG
    Jarabe-1.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 130
  • Jarabe-2.JPG
    Jarabe-2.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 126
  • Jarabe-3.JPG
    Jarabe-3.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 138

ouachitacaveman

Mar 12, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have two so far, which are probably the more common ones.
Milk of Magnesia and Vicks Vaporub. These are likely to be
at least 50-60 years old :

100_4587.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread