162.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 321

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
the bottle was probly clear at one time but the sun colored it purple.. some clear glass will change purple if exposed to sunlight for long periods of time..

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
billyazprospector said:
Any Ideas as to what it was used for and value>?
It's a food jar, pickles probably.

Value? Not much, unless you find someone who really, really needs that jar to complete a Bishop collection. A dollar or two at the flea market.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not real sure that a 5 x 3 bottle would be used for pickles - especially considering the age. Its kind of small for that.

However, I cannot find anything on that sized bottle - even in my Kovel's book. So.......................I don't know.

Beth

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
mrs.oroblanco said:
I'm not real sure that a 5 x 3 bottle would be used for pickles - especially considering the age. Its kind of small for that.

However, I cannot find anything on that sized bottle - even in my Kovel's book. So.......................I don't know.
Beth
When I say "pickles," Beth, I am referring to a range of pickled garnishes and relishes . . . from banana peppers to sweet pickle relish to giardiniera.

From Wikipedia: (Italian giardiniera is also called "sotto aceti", which means "under vinegar", a common term for pickled foods. It is typically eaten as an antipasto or with salads.

In the United States, giardiniera is commonly available in traditional or spicy varieties, the latter which is sometimes referred to as "Hot Mix.")

This is the sort of foodstuff that Bishop & Company produced (along with many other things).

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry,

No issue for me, here - I just don't know. I found a couple that were larger in my Kovel's book, (pickle, but not the same shape) but not that size, that's all. That's why I was thinking apothecary-type - though, I didn't find one of those either.

It's a neat bottle.

I hope someone can find an exact match.

Beth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions