Iron City: Once you get there, youll never want to leave.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Iron City: Once you get there, you'll never want to leave.

When I was a kid, the immortal Bob Prince brought me the Pittsburgh Pirates night after summer night on the radio. One of the sponsors was Iron City Beer, and "The Gunner" (as Prince was known), would extol its virtues frequently during the game. Iron City was brewed by the Pittsburgh Brewing Company, which really was never a concern to me. Until yesterday, when I unearthed this beer bottle from Pittsburgh Brewing Co. Pittsburgh, PA U.S.A. I found one that looked similar on EBay, with the seller claiming late 1800's, but I doubt that this bottle is that old. For one, his had a maker's mark on the bottom; mine is bare. The only other markings on my bottle is a small inscription: D.O.C. 225. The bottle is 9.5" tall, and there are a few bubbles in the glass. The seam ends before the lip. I thought perhaps that Glenshaw glass would have been a possibility, but there are no markings to support that. Any ideas on age? Would there have been a paper label opposite the embossing? I've been excavating under part of my house, preparing for an addition, and the bottles have been interesting if not very old. Found a small Listerine (cork top) and a threaded Absorbine Jr. Wasn't that for Athlete's Foot? I don't know if I'll reach bottom before the excavator comes, but I'll be watching him work if not!

Attachments

• ironcity 001 (Small).jpg
    ironcity 001 (Small).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 286
  • ironcity 002 (Small).jpg
    ironcity 002 (Small).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 249
  • ironcity 003 (Small).jpg
    ironcity 003 (Small).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 253

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
Re: Iron City: Once you get there, you'll never want to leave.

Have to see top to tell age

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: Iron City: Once you get there, you'll never want to leave.

bottles10 said:
Have to see top to tell age
I'll get another picture up tomorrow. Looks like a modern pop bottle top to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread