A crushing discovery - broken pop bottle

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'm continuing to excavate along our foundation in preparation for putting on an addition. Last week, more or less, I found a beer bottle from The Pittsburgh Brewing Company and was fortunate to add to my collection this afternoon. Unfortunately, it wasn't the happiest discovery :'(. In a corner where two foundation walls meet, I saw the distinct look of a pop bottle sticking out. In this area, "pop" means soda. It was embedded in clay, under a stone, so I knew I'd have to work carefully to get it out. This I did, but was disheartened when the top came out and the rest of the bottle didn't follow (again :'(). At this point, I didn't have any identification, but figured we might be able to get something off the rest of the bottle. A minute or two later, out it came, in two pieces. I think when the stone was placed on top of it, there was a little too much violence! :wink: The other two pieces had the answers to the mystery, and this bottle was a 7.5 ouncer from the Zelienople Bottling Works. On the bottom is a large (I assume) Z, or maybe it's an N. I'll go with Z. I checked the Internet for this company and it's listed under "Carbonated Beverages" in a 1916 list of PA businesses. I'll have to do some asking around town here to see if there is any more information on this company. Maybe Sodabottlebob will know something? I managed to super glue the thing together for display purposes only.

Attachments

• zeliebottle 001 (Small).jpg
    zeliebottle 001 (Small).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 304
  • zeliebottle 002 (Small).jpg
    zeliebottle 002 (Small).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 304
  • zeliebottle 003 (Small).jpg
    zeliebottle 003 (Small).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 296

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
HD ~

I will have to go with the :icon_scratch: scratching my head animation on this one for the time being. I will look around (Internet/Books/Etc.) and see what I can find.

That's what I call a B.I.B. = "Bummer it's broken."

I'll be back!

SBB

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
HD ~

I will have to go with the :icon_scratch: scratching my head animation on this one for the time being. I will look around (Internet/Books/Etc.) and see what I can find.

That's what I call a B.I.B. = "Bummer it's broken."

I'll be back!

SBB
Thanks Bob!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread