Another broken dream

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Excavating some more under my house to prepare for an addition, I came across this DR. TOBIAS VENETIAN HORSE LINIMENT bottle. We cleaned and glued together what we could find, but you'll notice that several pieces are missing :'(. Why couldn't they have just laid it gently in the ground and then carefully added backfill over it?

Attachments

• horseliniment 001 (Small).jpg
    horseliniment 001 (Small).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 337
  • horseliniment 002 (Small).jpg
    horseliniment 002 (Small).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 314
  • horseliniment 003 (Small).jpg
    horseliniment 003 (Small).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 315
  • horseliniment 004 (Small).jpg
    horseliniment 004 (Small).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 315

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
I feel your pain my friend!

After 3 months of digging behind my condo I finally got a play on a punty boy :hello2:

Unfortunately my first backyard punty boy is a headless horseman :'(

Attachments

• Headless Pontil In Situ.JPG
    Headless Pontil In Situ.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 312
  • Headless Pontil Dirty.JPG
    Headless Pontil Dirty.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 307

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Ouch, I hate that when I do that with my shovel! >:( Horse Liniment must taste like glue :tongue3: jgas

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
jgas said:
Ouch, I hate that when I do that with my shovel! >:( Horse Liniment must taste like glue :tongue3: jgas
I didn't do it; I've been real careful under the house :wink:. Real sad to find it this way. :'( Probably a common bottle; I think I found a broken one in a pile of shards at our old farm foundation last fall.

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
halfdime said:
Probably a common bottle; I think I found a broken one in a pile of shards at our old farm foundation last fall.
Have you noticed that a bottle found on your own property is cherished about 10x as much as one found elsewhere?

I'd be willing to bet that you wouldn't even consider glueing those shards back togther if you found that anywhere but under your house!

I know how you feel because I'm pulling bottles out of my own backyard these days :hello2:

I've been bringing home ABM stuff that definately wouldn't make the cut if found anywhere else - and common bottles take on a whole new meaning when they come out of the backyard!

Last night I dug up a Chinese opium bottle. These are super common in Hawaii and I'd probably have dozens of them if they didn't have the anoying habit of suddenly breaking in half for no reason whatsoever :o

Hopefully this one stays intact, becuase it's far more valuable to me than any of the others I've found......

Attachments

• Dirty Ope.JPG
    Dirty Ope.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 247
  • Ope.JPG
    Ope.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 227
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
sodetraveler said:
halfdime said:
Probably a common bottle; I think I found a broken one in a pile of shards at our old farm foundation last fall.
Have you noticed that a bottle found on your own property is cherished about 10x as much as one found elsewhere?

I'd be willing to bet that you wouldn't even consider glueing those shards back togther if you found that anywhere but under your house!

I know how you feel because I'm pulling bottles out of my own backyard these days :hello2:

I've been bringing home ABM stuff that definately wouldn't make the cut if found anywhere else - and common bottles take on a whole new meaning when they come out of the backyard!

Last night I dug up a Chinese opium bottle. These are super common in Hawaii and I'd probably have dozens of them if they didn't have the anoying habit of suddenly breaking in half for no reason whatsoever :o

Hopefully this one stays intact, becuase it's far more valuable to me than any of the others I've found......
You read my mind!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread