bottle people... I am not... NEW BOTTLE NEW PICS

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Thank you, 'Road Dog'!! I am glad to see a label for these little flasks!

I think I posted a question about these flasks - perhaps on antiquebottles.net - some years ago (2003); but, I didn't get any definitive answer. I suspected Jamaican Ginger as one possibility or some other potent intoxicant in a ladies' handbag size. I am tickled to see the image.

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Let me add this pic as well.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!ikE1NjksNPGBN(fhRWLUg~~_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!ikE1NjksNPGBN(fhRWLUg~~_3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 364
OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Road Dog said:

That look almost identical... ya know when I found it I thought of castor oil but then I also said naaa its too small... it was found at an old homestead... so yeah I bet that is it!

Thanks

Chukers

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Road Dog said:

You guys are doing a great job of finding flasks that were not used for whiskey, but I'm quite certain that you would have a much easier time finding flasks that were used for whiskey!

I appreciate the learning experience and the effort. However, I think you are not helping Chuckers by doing this. He needs to know that for every castor oil, liquid asprin, etc. flask that's out there, there are hundereds of examples of similar flasks that were used for whiskey.

This bottle just posted up today (looking for cleaning advice) is a good example. Would any of you suggest that it's not a whiskey flask?

Attachments

• Whiskey Flask.jpg
    Whiskey Flask.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 342

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
PS. I'm not trying to pick a fight or suggest that Chucker's flask might possibly not be a whiskey. I just want Chucker's to understand the odds a bit better. Perhaps the fact his flask doesn't have the volume embossed on it suggests non-whiskey? Don't know, but I'd still place my bet on whiskey!

Peace! :icon_sunny:

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Yours is a definate whiskey and looks nothing like his. His probably could have been used for a number of things as the glass factory just sold generic bottles to distributers of all sorts of stuff. Although the caster oil is an identical type bottle to his. :hello:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
...I appreciate the learning experience and the effort. However, I think you are not helping Chuckers by doing this. He needs to know that for every castor oil, liquid asprin, etc. flask that's out there, there are hundereds of examples of similar flasks that were used for whiskey....
I think I detect a little "Confirmation Bias" -- the tendency to look for and perceive evidence that is consistent with our hypotheses and to deny, dismiss or distort evidence that is not.

Show us your little whiskey flasks, 'sodetraveler'.

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Harry Pristis said:

No fair! I asked first :laughing7:

Anyway, I don't have a whole lot of whiskey flasks in my collection. Those I do have are boxed and wrapped.......

What Road Dog said is correct. The glass factories sold generic bottles that the purchaser could use for whatever they please. I tend to think that most of these bottles would have been used for whiskey, but perhaps people preferred larger whiskey bottles and the smaller ones were not generally used for whiskey? Without more information we will never know. :dontknow:

Based on the information presented on the SHA website here:

http://www.sha.org/bottle/typing.htm

This bottle may have been used for liquid asprin, relabeled as a whiskey and then later used for castor oil! BTW - I'm specifically referring to the Lash's Bitters that is re-labeled as Amonia. I'm assuming that you wouldn't tell someone that an unlabeled version of this bottle was anything other than a bitters bottle.

Hopefully Chuckers is enjoying the lively debate and appreciating the two key SHA statements regarding any bottle identification excercise:

1) The same type or style of bottle may have been used for distinctly different products.
2) Any given bottle could have been recycled and reused many times for totally unrelated products.

It's been fun playing with you guys! :headbang:

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sodetraveler said:
Harry Pristis said:

No fair! I asked first :laughing7:

Anyway, I don't have a whole lot of whiskey flasks in my collection. Those I do have are boxed and wrapped.......

What Road Dog said is correct. The glass factories sold generic bottles that the purchaser could use for whatever they please. I tend to think that most of these bottles would have been used for whiskey, but perhaps people preferred larger whiskey bottles and the smaller ones were not generally used for whiskey? Without more information we will never know. :dontknow:

Based on the information presented on the SHA website here:

http://www.sha.org/bottle/typing.htm

This bottle may have been used for liquid asprin, relabeled as a whiskey and then later used for castor oil! BTW - I'm specifically referring to the Lash's Bitters that is re-labeled as Amonia. I'm assuming that you wouldn't tell someone that an unlabeled version of this bottle was anything other than a bitters bottle.

Hopefully Chuckers is enjoying the lively debate and appreciating the two key SHA statements regarding any bottle identification excercise:

1) The same type or style of bottle may have been used for distinctly different products.
2) Any given bottle could have been recycled and reused many times for totally unrelated products.

It's been fun playing with you guys! :headbang:

I am reading every word... anything I read is just an education for me... I am always learning. It all good to me!

Chukers

Rooter

Apr 14, 2009
Central Florida mountains
I just found and purchased a bottle like that from my local thrift store. It is very flat and has nothing on the bottom. There are remnants of a label. I thought it was a whisky flask also but it's so small it wouldn't even be a 1/4 pint. The label looks more medicinal and I can make out the partial words John and sons. I'll try to post a picture later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread