Unopened, straight-sided, clear glass Coke bottle.

texmarke

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2011
I purchased this unopened bottle yesterday at the Thomasville Emporium Antique Mall in NC. I can't find any info on this bottle except just below the L.G.W on the bottom plate, barely visible, "1202E" is embossed. I'm thinking that may mean December, 1902, operator/machine E? Can anyone shed any light on this? Any idea of the age and what this bottle might be worth? Thanks!

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 1,294
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    306.1 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    391.4 KB · Views: 696
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    441.2 KB · Views: 701

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you can't believe what you see. I may be wrong but, technically I don't think it's an actual Coke bottle. I can tell you that Straight-sided "Coke" bottles embossed in script letters contained Coke, while the "Coca-Cola" bottles embossed in block letters contained a flavored drink other than Coke and are not as valuable. I'm not familiar with the styling of crown caps used on early bottles, however it is suspect to me and I think it is an added cap (and contents) not original to the bottle. The information I have found, tells me that the Lexington N.C. Coca-Cola building was built around 1935. Another source says that it was built in 1941. Bottling operations ceased there in the early 1970s. I believe your bottle predates this era. The "lgw" on the base may refer to Laurens Glass Works Laurens SC. The company used LGW since 1913, The date code is a little confusing though. There's usually a number to the left of the L and a number to the right of the W. I believe the bottle is called a "ring neck". I'm sure SODABOTTLEBOB will be able to help you when he gets on here and sees this post. I'm interested to hear his thoughts on this bottle and whether i'm correct or not.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
Sometimes you can't believe what you see. I may be wrong but, technically I don't think it's an actual Coke bottle. I can tell you that Straight-sided "Coke" bottles embossed in script letters contained Coke, while the "Coca-Cola" bottles embossed in block letters contained a flavored drink other than Coke and are not as valuable. I'm not familiar with the styling of crown caps used on early bottles, however it is suspect to me and I think it is an added cap (and contents) not original to the bottle. The information I have found, tells me that the Lexington N.C. Coca-Cola building was built around 1935. Another source says that it was built in 1941. Bottling operations ceased there in the early 1970s. I believe your bottle predates this era. The "lgw" on the base may refer to Laurens Glass Works Laurens SC. The company used LGW since 1913, The date code is a little confusing though. There's usually a number to the left of the L and a number to the right of the W. I believe the bottle is called a "ring neck". I'm sure SODABOTTLEBOB will be able to help you when he gets on here and sees this post. I'm interested to hear his thoughts on this bottle and whether i'm correct or not.
I with you Digs, I can't believe this either..be one hell of a find if it would be true tho..

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
texmarke ~

Welcome to the forum.

Cool Coca Cola bottle.

However ...

1. Very common.
2. Non 'true' Coca Cola bottle - Used by franchise bottler for fruit flavors.
3. Likely 1920s - 1930s.
4. Cap appears to be about 1951 to 1958 because of 6 oz/Trademark info./ General
apperance.
5. Likely re-filled and re-capped.
6. L.G.W. mark on base probably no later than about 1935.
7. Mid grade condition - Case wear - scratches, etc.
8. Value - maybe $5.00
9. The 1202E is likely a factory location/mold number.

10. All things considered, your bottle is still a "keeper." :icon_thumleft:

L G W ... Laurens Glass Works, Laurens, SC (1910-1996). Plants also operated in Henderson, NC (opened 1957) and Ruston, LA.

I hope this helps.

SBB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
To expound a little on the "Non-Coca Cola" - "Franchise Flavors" ...

The Coca Cola Company never had it's own (patented) line of fruit flavors until it introduced "Fanta" in the United States in 1960. Which was first introduced in Germany around 1940. Prior to this, the individual bottlers were responsible for producing their own flavors. However, since they were under contract by Coca Cola, the parent company required their name be on all of the bottles. Thus the "Coca Cola Bottler" designation that is so often seen. One of the more popular brands during the 1950s was "Big Chief. " It came in numerous flavors like strawberry - grape - orange - lemon, etc. I have about twenty Big Chief bottles in my collection, and I believe everyone of them is marked "Coca Cola Bottling" in one manner or another.

So that's why we see so many straight-sided bottles from the 1920s and 30s that have "Coca Cola" on them. Which was only allowed in "block" letters. The Coca Cola "script/signature" was exclusive to true Coca Cola only.

Not everybody liked Coca Cola, especially kids, and every bottler needed to have an assortment of fruit flavors to compete with the likes of "Orange Crush" - "Nehi" and various other brands that were on the market at the time.

SBB

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
That definitly is not factory sealed over 100 years old.. That bottle cap script wasn't common until the 40's.. Unless it was one of the fruity sodas made from the bottling companys around then

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To expound a little on the "Non-Coca Cola" - "Franchise Flavors" ...

The Coca Cola Company never had it's own (patented) line of fruit flavors until it introduced "Fanta" in the United States in 1960. Which was first introduced in Germany around 1940. Prior to this, the individual bottlers were responsible for producing their own flavors. However, since they were under contract by Coca Cola, the parent company required their name be on all of the bottles. Thus the "Coca Cola Bottler" designation that is so often seen. One of the more popular brands during the 1950s was "Big Chief. " It came in numerous flavors like strawberry - grape - orange - lemon, etc. I have about twenty Big Chief bottles in my collection, and I believe everyone of them is marked "Coca Cola Bottling" in one manner or another.

So that's why we see so many straight-sided bottles from the 1920s and 30s that have "Coca Cola" on them. Which was only allowed in "block" letters. The Coca Cola "script/signature" was exclusive to true Coca Cola only.

Not everybody liked Coca Cola, especially kids, and every bottler needed to have an assortment of fruit flavors to compete with the likes of "Orange Crush" - "Nehi" and various other brands that were on the market at the time.

SBB

Thanks for that information - I learned something from it about coke bottles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread