Digging Along The River **UPDATED PICTURES**

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
So I have been excavating an area along the St. Joe river for a while now. I came across a bottle partially buried and as continued digging it up noticed lots of fragments of other bottles. So the next day I went back with shovel and found this. Can anyone give me a date on it. I was guessing about 1860 ??

2.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks for looking and for your replies !

Mark

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Re: Digging Along The River

That is a strange looking bottle. Has a top like a Hutchinson style( 1879 and later). What does the bottom have on it. I doubt its pontiled but can you get a pic of it? The good ole St. Joe, its murky but full of finds :thumbsup: jgas

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
ivy_walls ~

Great find!

I honestly think it's an 1890s/1900 ginger ale myself ... but on a side note, some of those so called "Blob Top" sodas can be tough to date, especially without a brand name embossed on them. Take for example this page from a 1906 Illinois Glass Co. catalog. Notice the bottle in the upper left corner. It's weird to think they were still making blob tops at the same time they were making crown tops which started showing up around 1895, and would eventually dominate the market by about 1910. So in reality, your bottle could actually date anywhere from about 1880 to about 1910. More research on some of it's other design features would have to be done to be absolutely certain. (The base and mold seam features would be a place to start).

SBB

[ 1906 Illinois Glass Catalog ]

Attachments

• Illinois Glass Catalog 1906 (700x478).jpg
    Illinois Glass Catalog 1906 (700x478).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 315

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread