A question of value

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to sell off a few things, and was thinking of getting rid of a couple of my more interesting bottles and was wondering if anybody could give me a guesstimate on what they're worth? Try as I might, I'm finding it hard to figure the value on a lot these things, and I don't wanna screw myself over. The two I was wondering about, are embossed sauce bottles I can't find anything on, I assume that means they're rare; as far as I understand, that should increase the value, no? Anyway, I'm putting them up on ebay, but I wanna stick a reserve on 'em; what do you think?
The two of 'em are BIM with applied lip and from the pits they came from I'm dating them at 1880-1890. You can't see it in the pics but the texture on the Heslop is great (whittled? I believe).

Attachments

• IMG_2261.JPG
    IMG_2261.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_2267.JPG
    IMG_2267.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_2268.JPG
    IMG_2268.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_2264.JPG
    IMG_2264.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG_2271.JPG
    IMG_2271.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_2265.JPG
    IMG_2265.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_2266.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 703
OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the second bottle from Lewis & Co.

Attachments

• IMG_2278.JPG
    IMG_2278.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 861
  • IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_2277.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_2275.JPG
    IMG_2275.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_2273.JPG
    IMG_2273.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_2272.JPG
    IMG_2272.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_2281.JPG
    IMG_2281.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_2280.JPG
    IMG_2280.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG_2279.JPG
    IMG_2279.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 695

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
mile-ender said:
I need to sell off a few things, and was thinking of getting rid of a couple of my more interesting bottles and was wondering if anybody could give me a guesstimate on what they're worth? Try as I might, I'm finding it hard to figure the value on a lot these things, and I don't wanna screw myself over. The two I was wondering about, are embossed sauce bottles I can't find anything on, I assume that means they're rare; as far as I understand, that should increase the value, no? Anyway, I'm putting them up on ebay, but I wanna stick a reserve on 'em; what do you think?
The two of 'em are BIM with applied lip and from the pits they came from I'm dating them at 1880-1890. You can't see it in the pics but the texture on the Heslop is great (whittled? I believe).

mile-ender, you have a couple of very common bottles in uncommonly sick condition. To be perfectly honest with you, those two pieces are fifty cents or a buck in the antique shop.

OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/quote]

mile-ender, you have a couple of very common bottles in uncommonly sick condition. To be perfectly honest with you, those two pieces are fifty cents or a buck in the antique shop.

[/quote]
So why can't I find any info anywhere? :icon_scratch:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Its probably an off shore brand, or just too common to be noted in most US reference books or price guides. Believe me, if it were rare or valuable, you would get google hits on it.

OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
Its probably an off shore brand, or just too common to be noted in most US reference books or price guides. Believe me, if it were rare or valuable, you would get google hits on it.
I'm sorry, I can't agree with your logic that if it were rare I would find it on google. Rare by definition is unusual or uncommon. A Perrins or a Gartons I would say is common; I find all sorts of information on these easily through google; but when I search rather meticulously through all aspects of google, news archives, patents and such and I find no information; when I post the bottles on various forums here in North America and the U.K. and I get no responses; I have to believe that the bottle is rare.
As to the value :dontknow: you could be right. Value is always subjective though, no? I've sold bottles I figured were worth five bucks for five times that. I've sold busted bottles for the same. Then they are bottles I think are great, that people wouldn't give me fifty cents for :wink:
I do appreciate you input though, thank you.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies !!!! but have to agree with the earlier replies,Sorry ,not rare :(

OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. So, it's not rare :crybaby2:
I can't argue with experience :icon_thumleft:
But I can ask some questions.... If you don't ask - you can't learn
What should I be looking for? I'm guessing a good rule of thumb would be Odells "twelve value factors"?
Which means - if I'm getting this - the bottles above would bring me 5-10$ if I'm lucky and selling to someone who doesn't really know anything; and let's say the bottle below (a squat ale from the same period) could get me 30-40$ if I'm lucky :dontknow:
and what I should be looking for are things I'm seeing selling at Hecklers and other such online auctions?
Thanks again for every ones help :hello2:

Attachments

• IMG_1705.JPG
    IMG_1705.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 770
  • IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 789

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
mile-ender, you did a complete 180 with that indescribable and stupendous yellow?? squatty. Now when you see stuff like that, you know you are eyeballing a winner. If a common US pictoral flask was that color, it would double or triple the price. Your piece is damaged, and it is not a US bottle. So you lose a good percent of your value. If I saw it in a local shop for $20.00, damaged and all, I would suffer a tormented spiral of indecision and agony and self-loathing because I would just have to own it, and I would start haggling with the guy, will you take fifteen for it? And if he said no, I would flip out a Jackson, take the damn thing home, and take a good long look in the mirror wondering what the hell is so addictive about bottles.

OP
OP
mile-ender

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
mile-ender, you did a complete 180 with that indescribable and stupendous yellow?? squatty. Now when you see stuff like that, you know you are eyeballing a winner. If a common US pictoral flask was that color, it would double or triple the price. Your piece is damaged, and it is not a US bottle. So you lose a good percent of your value. If I saw it in a local shop for $20.00, damaged and all, I would suffer a tormented spiral of indecision and agony and self-loathing because I would just have to own it, and I would start haggling with the guy, will you take fifteen for it? And if he said no, I would flip out a Jackson, take the damn thing home, and take a good long look in the mirror wondering what the hell is so addictive about bottles.
:icon_scratch: Is that good or bad?

illinidigger

Jun 1, 2010
Illinois-St. Louis Metro
Detector(s) used
Explorer Se Pro White's IDX pro
I disagree as far as the common statement on the two sauce bottles. I have been digging and collecting for a long time and have a bunch of different Perrins look alikes and have seen a couple of the Lewis' and never the Helsops. Condition is a problem, that and the fact these types are not widely collected would keep value down.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post mile-ender. You covered the gamut of bottles. Crappy common sick aqua saucies, and a killer rare shiny straw yellow squatty. The mysteries of the bottles will never cease to confound......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread