Gorgeous Late 18th - Early 19th Century Demi John Bottle!!

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a gorgeous late 18th - early 19th century Demi John bottle. It was recovered from Key West Harbor (along with many other antique bottles and relics) many years back when diving was legal in the harbor area... before 9-11 happened. This huge handblown historical beauty is completely intact and has a small pontil on the base, applied lip, and bubbles galore throughout!! It is dark olive green and makes an amazing display piece!!

I have had it in my collection for many years but unfortunately need to part with it now. I have many options to sell it but I thought I might post it on here first to see if anyone here would like to add it to their collection... I want it to go to someone who will really cherish it as my family has. It is valued at approx. $175 but I will part with it for $100. I have packaging materials but buyer would have to pay for shipping and insurance. If anyone has an interest in this bottle... email me at [email protected] and we can converse there and I can email you pics. Thanks...

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some Pics of the Demi John...

Attachments

• DemiJ4.jpg
    DemiJ4.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,168
  • DemiJ3.jpg
    DemiJ3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 851
  • DemiJ2.jpg
    DemiJ2.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 784

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hey buddy, nice one there. I will ask around my circles to see if anyone is interested. I will let ya know. jgas

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
A hundred dollars is probably a reasonable price for your bottle. I have one similar with a sand pontil scar about four inches in diameter.

I am pretty sure these bottles are not American (maybe Canadian) and date to the mid-1800s. It's a big (you didn't give dimensions), impressive bottle. It was probably used as a wine fermenter, as were so many of these big ovoids.

If you have any other demi's, I'm always interested in a bottle that will add something to my collection.

demi6mantel.jpg

Attachments

• demi6mantel.jpg
    demi6mantel.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 441
OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your replies guys... I was told that mine was possibly of early European origin (although I don't know much about Demi Johns). It looks to be very similar to the 2nd one from the right that you have in your photo Harry! I do have another demi (not ovoid shape but cylinder type and is amber in color) but I will be holding on to that as it is smaller and a bit less common to find. Any leads to get this larger olive green one sold would be greatly appreciated. I haven't got anything to measure it with but it stands at about 22-23 inches tall...

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to buy it, can you give me a price for shipping to NJ 07424...
Thanx,
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread