Last Night Under the Deck

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
After nearly a year of digging around in my backyard I think I finally located the 1860's trash pit I've been looking for :hello2:

The ground behind my place is extremely rocky, so probing doesn't work well. I figured that the only way to find the bottles was to DIG IT ALL!!! :BangHead:

Well, after a pretty good start with a decent number of bottles, my luck turned sour. For the last 2 months - despite digging every week - I haven't found anything :'(

Sunday afternoon was looking to be more of the same. After a couple hours of fruitless digging I decided to take a walk around to see if the recent rains had unearthed anything.

I saw an aqua colored shard sticking out and gave it a kick with my boot. It turned out to be about 3/4th of an R.R.R. Radway. It was right under my back deck, but I figured why not dig a test hole anyway?

Soon enough I was hitting lots of broken china and right under it I found a cool "true" 4-piece mold, applied lip medicine bottle. It's unembossed, but I'd never seen a 4-piece mold with the seam line going right accross the middle of the base before. I had run out of time, but decided to come back after work on Monday to see what else was there.

Monday evening I got an early start and proceeded to dig a deeper hole starting down-slope and moving up to were I found the med. Didn't find anything lower down the hill, but as soon as I got to the spot where the med was I started to hit rust, china shards, bones and glass. This was it, I had finally found the trash pit! :o

I soon unearthed a J.W.Hunnewell. I had seen many food bottles with this shape, but never an embossed one :hello2:

No sooner had I stashed it in my pack than I uncovered the base of my very first intact punty boy! It's probably a common bottle, but having spent my whole bottle digging career in turn-of-the-century dumps it was pure gold to me :headbang:

I had to quite after that, but I'm going to dig even deeper tonight!

Here are some pictures I took plus some pictures of the bottles I found last week in Hilo, Hawaii. While visiting my mom I got permission to dig in the neighbor's yard. Got some nice 1880's gins and some other 1890's stuff. Thought you might like to see!

Attachments

• 4-peice in situ.JPG
    4-peice in situ.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 335
  • 4-peice rainbow.JPG
    4-peice rainbow.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 332
  • 4-peice base1.JPG
    4-peice base1.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 329
  • Punty in Situ.JPG
    Punty in Situ.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 289
  • Dirty Punty.JPG
    Dirty Punty.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 427
  • Hunnewell.JPG
    Hunnewell.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 430
  • 1860s pit.JPG
    1860s pit.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 431
  • Booty.JPG
    Booty.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 508
  • Black Glass.JPG
    Black Glass.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 471

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Colonel Ken

Dec 7, 2009
Oahu, Hawaii
Brah - sweet finds :o Seems slow here on Oahu. I did see a guy list a broken AW Hobson Hilo that he says he just found. Keep digging!

Aloha,
COLKEN

OP
OP
sodetraveler

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Colonel Ken said:
Brah - sweet finds :o Seems slow here on Oahu. I did see a guy list a broken AW Hobson Hilo that he says he just found. Keep digging!

Aloha,
COLKEN
Mahalo Ken!

I considered posting this up on the Hawaii forum, but was kind of embarrassed cause I didn't pull any sodes or other Hawaiian BIMALs during my Hilo visit :'(

You've given me some encouragement to post em anyway! Well, at least the Hawaii finds....... :icon_sunny:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Any Pontil find is a great day for sure. Looks like some very nice finds. Keep it going. Sometimes you hope the pits never end!! Congrats :thumbsup: jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread