Small "Ball" canning jar: Help!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Small "Ball" canning jar: Help!

I was detecting at a friend's old farm on Sunday and didn't find much. The only coin was a 1947 wheat and I did manage one of those heartbreaking 18K plated rings, but most of the finds were scrap or bullets. Down at their house at the end of the day, I noticed an aqua Ball canning jar up on a shelf. We'd talked a bit over the last few months about different old canning jars we've known and loved, but I'd never seen this variety before. It doesn't have threads, or a wire bail; does anyone know what kind of sealing system this would have used? I'm going to check the thread about dates for Ball jars and add more information from that; for now, I'll post the picture and hope someone knows what we're looking at! I checked the "Ball" chart and it appears to be 1910-1923.

Attachments

• lisamason.jpg
    lisamason.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 573

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Re: Small "Ball" canning jar: Help!

Hi, It should have a glass lid with a wire snap enclosure. I will dig mine out and post a pic if someone else doesnt first :icon_thumright: Paul :coffee2:

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

pganjon said:
Hi, It should have a glass lid with a wire snap enclosure. I will dig mine out and post a pic if someone else doesnt first :icon_thumright: Paul :coffee2:
So the wire snap enclosure would be secured under the rim, but not in holes like the classic wire bails?

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250

Hi, yeah it looped around and under that glass lip and had two more loops. One went over the top of the lid and nestled in a groove in the center of it and after you did that , you would pull the other loop down and it would over center with tension and then snap tight :icon_thumleft: Paul :coffee2:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Common jar, the bail was anchored by a fine wire twisted about the neck.

Attachments

• wirebale.jpg
    wirebale.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 772

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agreed, glass lid,wire closure. very common jar. HD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread