Finger Lakes Bottling Wks WS Watkins.N.Y.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• Picture 46.jpg
    Picture 46.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 376
  • Picture 47.jpg
    Picture 47.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 324

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Watkins, New York was named after Dr. Samuel Watkins, for his contributions to the community.
The post office changed name from Catlin to Salubria, November 2, 1829, and to Watkins, Sept. 20, 1852-so your bottle post-dates the 1852 date.
The town's current name, Watkins Glen, was adopted in 1926--so your bottle predates that date.
Don........

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
As a future reference regarding the IDing of other soda bottlers/brand names, did you know there are approximately 10,000+ soda brands that have already been confirmed? And the list seems to keep getting longer and longer every year. But only a very small fraction of the bottlers themselves have known histories. Its mind boggling. That's why it always impresses me when someone ID's a somewhat obsolete name that no one else ever even heard of.

SBB

OP
OP
G.A.P.metal

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mackaydon said:
Watkins, New York was named after Dr. Samuel Watkins, for his contributions to the community.
The post office changed name from Catlin to Salubria, November 2, 1829, and to Watkins, Sept. 20, 1852-so your bottle post-dates the 1852 date.
The town's current name, Watkins Glen, was adopted in 1926--so your bottle predates that date.
Don........
Yes Bob
Its funny i got that bottle out of a old dump on my property 20 yrs ago 10 miles south of Watkins Glen N.Y. and never notesed that the bottles just said Watkins noe Watkins glen on them till Don set me stright thanks don that was cool.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
G.A.P., I enjoyed doing the research--and learning. Contacting the historian of Watkins Glen (or the county historian) might produce information to further shrink the time frame; and learn more about the company.
Don.....

tdrexford

Jan 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watkins bottle.JPG
i found two of these with the number 55 on the bottom under the addition of my house in Tyrone NY just west of Watkins glen, and also newspapers in the walls dated 1855. the addition has no access under it and floors seem to be original so i would guess some time around 1855 would be the date of mine. .... just an educated guess but not fact...

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello tdrexford,

Welcome to the TNet, and thanks for showing us a portion of your bottle. I don't think it is at all close to 1855, as a born on date. The "55' is more likely a mould number.

You didn't show the whole bottle. G.A.P.'s is a crown cap, is yours?

Here's a bit of history:

"William Sproul, proprietor of the
Finger Lakes Bottling Works, has
purchased a Samson truck in order
to facilitate delivery. His son, Wal-
ter left the employ of F. F. Irish &
Son in order to be in business with
him." The Watkins Express, May 31, 1922.

An ad showing the Bottling works at "26 Garden Street with a phone: 2268" as a distributor for Rochester Brewing's Old Topper can be found @ Fulton History

See the ad for Arbee Lager here: Fulton History

Rochester_Arbee_Lager.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread