Back to the Edge

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
I've been digging my cliff edge spot fairly regularly and it just keeps getting better!

Unfortunately, the 1880 layer is fairly thin and hasn't produced much, but the 1915 layer has gotten much thicker and is now producing lots of bottles!

These are about a 50-50 mix of BIMAL and ABM, but at least the ABM stuff is old. I've pulled over a dozen bottle in the last few days including 5 BIMALs last night alone!

Here are a few pictures of some of my latest finds both in situ and cleaned up. I took many more photos, but there are far too many to post. Most of the ABM stuff I left out - except for my first two sodes......

Attachments

• Green Ink.jpg
    Green Ink.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Sodes.JPG
    Sodes.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Clicquot.jpg
    Clicquot.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 117
  • SemiRound.jpg
    SemiRound.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 96
  • Wakelees.jpg
    Wakelees.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Bowerman.jpg
    Bowerman.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Paris.jpg
    Paris.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Paris in Situ.jpg
    Paris in Situ.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Owl Drug.jpg
    Owl Drug.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Owl in Situ.jpg
    Owl in Situ.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
sodetraveler

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
BTW - someone told me that the small green bottle in the first picture is an ink.....is this true?

It's certainly about the right size, but I've never seen anything like it before.

It has an applied lip and is embossed on the bottom with D.R.B.M. and N.405087.

Anything anyone knows about it would be appreciated, age, place of origin, company, manufacturer - all that stuff is good to know.

Could the N.405087 be a U.S. Patent Number? I suppose I can check that myself.....Thanks Guys!

Attachments

• Ink Base.jpg
    Ink Base.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 154

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Nice ink! That's a pen rest on the shoulder. It's a German bottle, so it's not a US patent number.
The DRGM stands for Deutsches Reich Gebrauchsmuster (German: German Reich Registered Design).

OP
OP
sodetraveler

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Nice ink! That's a pen rest on the shoulder. It's a German bottle, so it's not a US patent number.The DRGM stands for Deutsches Reich Gebrauchsmuster (German: German Reich Registered Design).
Thanks Harry!
I guess I'll stop trying to download U.S. Patent No. 405087 from 1889 then......

Last edited:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Very nice digs right there, Love the Insitu pics too. Keep up the great work and post some more please! jgas

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Nice ink! That's a pen rest on the shoulder. It's a German bottle, so it's not a US patent number.The DRGM stands for Deutsches Reich Gebrauchsmuster (German: German Reich Registered Design).

Thanks Harry!I guess I'll stop trying to download U.S. Patent No. 405087 from 1889 then......

Here is an illustration of the use of DRGM. These are metal tags attached with 2-legged staples to the wicker cover of German demijohns. (Note the spelling of "Liter" is German, not the French "Litre.")
demijohn_tags_5L.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
sodetraveler

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Very nice digs right there, Love the Insitu pics too. Keep up the great work and post some more please! jgas

I take in situ shots of every bottle I find and send them to my brother in Hawaii. Partly so he can share the experience, partly just to make him jealous! LOL

Normally I don't find too much in the backyard, so I can post an in situ, dirty and clean photo. However, the cliff edge hole has been quite prolific with over two dozen bottles coming out over the last few digs. I figured that posting 72 photos would NOT be such a good idea! There's also the issue that many of the bottles coming out are ABM.......

All that being said though, I too love in situ photos and when in doubt I will try to post more rather than less!

I'm hoping to hit this spot again Monday night, so keep an eye out for more pics. This spot doesn't disappoint!!!

OP
OP
sodetraveler

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
Didn't get much on Monday night, just a few ABMs.

However, I got to hit it for about 2 hours Friday afternoon and found lots and lots of bottles!!!

Unfortunately, as I mover further to the left the layer turned from 1915 to 1925. Everything coming out was ABM with a mix of I.P.G.Co (in diamond) and IPG (in triangle) base marks. Wouldn't you know it that the best pocket of bottles I've ever hit back there would be all ABM - and half of them screw tops :BangHead:

It did make for a nice in situ photo though! The pocket of bottles shown in the picture has 8 bottles and one light bulb showing - can you find them all?

The blank screw tops went back in the hole and I saved the cork tops. I don't much like ABMs, so I moved my operation all the way to the right side of the hole and quickly popped out 3 BIMALs right before it got too dark to see.

Next time I'm all about the right side!!! :headbang:

Attachments

• pocket.jpg
    pocket.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 96
  • finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 107

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread