A few bottles dug up while searching for a septic tank ..

ouachitacaveman

Mar 12, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bottles dug searching for a septic tank- new info on Clorox bottles

I recently dug these up from the backyard of
a recently torn down old home-place. The first photo
shows what looks like soda-pop bottles, but they're so
small I don't think they would even hold 5 oz.
Second photo old Clorox bottle, date/era unknown.
Info. on the age of any of these bottles would be appreciated.

New info. on the Clorox bottles on my post on page 2
100_4596.JPG

100_4582.JPG

100_4576.JPG

55.jpg

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen bottle like in the first picture. It's hard to tell from the pic but they look machine made.

the third pic is a bitters bottle, and dates back to the early 1900s

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
1920's-30's

I concur with epackage, assuming these bottles are all the same age.

I found one of those Clorox bottles in my backyard and it has a manufacturer's mark from Illinois Pacific Glass Corporation - IPG in a triangle. This pegs the date as being between 1925 and 1932.

You can probably find this mark on the base rim of your bottle as well - look carefully because it can be quite faint!

Look on the base and along the base rim of each bottle and you may be able to locate distinct manufacturer's marks on several of them. If you find some marks, describe them here and we'll be happy to identify them.

If you are REALLY interested in pursuing this hobby and dating all your finds, I'll be more than happy to share a great website with you that lists most marks. I'd give you the link now, but I'm not on my own computer so it's not bookmarked!

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting bottles no matter what the age.

If you are REALLY interested in pursuing this hobby and dating all your finds, I'll be more than happy to share a great website with you that lists most marks. I'd give you the link now, but I'm not on my own computer so it's not bookmarked!

Could you please put that link up or pm it to me when you get a chance? I would like to add it to my reference library if I don't already have it. I would appreciate it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting bottles no matter what the age.

Could you please put that link up or pm it to me when you get a chance? I would like to add it to my reference library if I don't already have it. I would appreciate it.
This may be it, if not you can add it if you don't already have it. GLASS MANUFACTURERS' MARKS ON BOTTLES

OP
OP
ouachitacaveman

ouachitacaveman

Mar 12, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. everybody ! I was guessing 30's to 40's. The Clorox bottle has been gone
over quite thouroughly, I don't see a makers mark as described. The bottom simply has a diamond
with "Clorox" in it in large letters. The base just has
"Clorox" embossed all the way around. One possible clue, it does say 16 oz. with a downward arrow, at the body-top near the neck.
As for the first photo, I have searched for smile-pop bottles online and all of those appear to be embossed, but the ones I have found have no markings, except for the bottom, which has a few numbers and a mark which I could not find on the Makers Mark Link. It looks like half of a swastika with a slash through the middle, or, a type of flowing " F ". They do have mould lines from the bottom up to the top.
Thanks for the links !

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

sodetraveler

Mar 3, 2010
Historic Saratoga CA
The Clorox bottle has been gone
over quite thouroughly, I don't see a makers mark as described. The bottom simply has a diamond
with "Clorox" in it in large letters. The base just has
"Clorox" embossed all the way around.:thumbsup:
Hmmm.....it may be different from the one I found. However, it may be worth another look if you want to make the effort.

By "base rim" I was not referring to the actual bottom. Look at the side of the bottle very very close to the bottom. What you are looking for is a very small and faint triangle shape. You may also be able to discern the letters IPG inside the triangle - assuming it's there at all!

Here's a couple pictures showing the Clorox and the IPG. Like I said, the IPG is hard to see - and even harder to photograph! On my bottle it's located directly below the "OR" in CLOROX. Note: there are 2 CLOROXs on the bottle, so look under both! :tongue3:

Attachments

• Clorox.jpg
    Clorox.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IPG.jpg
    IPG.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I.P.G. in a triangle........Illinois Pacific Glass Corporation, San Francisco, CA (c.1925-1930 or 1932). Glass plant locations at Los Angeles, Oakland, Seattle & Portland. May have a tiny triangle inside the larger triangle, squeezed in above the letters. This mark might have been used earlier than 1925

OP
OP
ouachitacaveman

ouachitacaveman

Mar 12, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your help everybody ! With what you all have told me, plus checking a few other websites, here is what I have discovered about Clorox bottles:

Clorox4.jpg

Clorox2.jpg

...with help from sodetraveler, I found that mark he was referring to on my base:

Clorox6.JPG

Then I found more info. on the plant codes with date:

Clorox3.jpg

more useful information on Clorox company and its bottles :

Clorox 1.jpg
so with one more look, I think I have it pegged :

Clorox7.JPG

It appears my bottle was made at the San Francisco (1) plant
in it's last year of operation, 1937. I do not know what the 11-A means that
is alongside the "7" date code, but I am happy enough with all the info. you folks
have given and what I have found. I don't even desire to collect bottles, but the
info. is very interesting ! Thanks !

:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread