Aging a Hires Root Beer Bottle?

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Well i hate to hijack this thread but i think Coinstriking Michigan's question was answered. Bob, did you ever acquire the bottle you missed out on, the one you started a thread on titled "the one that got away" or something like that? It was a california bottle local to you if i remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

I have dug broken examples of the bottle over the years but likely will never find another like the original paper label example that sold on eBay recently for about $450.00. As it turns out, I went to high school with the guy who purchased it but doubtful he will ever want to sell it. His great-great-grandfather was the original bottler back in the late 1800s even though the bottle itself is from the early 1900s. Here's a couple of pics ...

1. Buckman Springs Lithia Water bottle ~ The bottle might be older than the 1909 dated label.

2. Part of what remains of the old bottling plant today.
(I have been digging around the place for the past 40 years)

Buckman Springs Bottle 1.jpg Buckman Springs Bottle.jpg Buckman Springs Today.jpg

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info on that one Bob. Love the story behind it and the photos as well. It could be the only one still existing as you stated. Good luck to you and we certainly appreciate you stopping by to visit with us. - Bass. p.s., i'll get back to you on the big chief bottle

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

DINGER

Mar 9, 2011
central new york
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bottles10:It's been a while since I've posted on T-net, but thought it only appropriate to answer your question ... The last time I spoke with Rick Sweeney (who lives here in southern California and spearheaded the books), he said the books had pretty much run their course and because of other reasons was done with it. As for the Soda Fizz magazines, Rick said Kathy (I forget her last name] had taken that over but do to health reasons and other factors had also called it quits. So I wouldn't expect anything more from either one unless somebody else picks up the ball where they left off and runs with it, which seems highly unlikely at this time.As for Hires Root Beer bottles, I bet no one's ever seen the one attached below. I bought it a couple of years ago and have been researching it ever sine. As far as I know, it is the only one like it. It's from the 1904 St. Louis Exposition (World's Fair) and made exclusively for that event. If anyone has seen another like it, or knows anything about it, please let me know. Gracias.' View attachment 1016783 View attachment 1016784 View attachment 1016785 View attachment 1016786 View attachment 1016787
Hey SODABOTTLEBOB Nice old hires root beer paper lable,Have you ever seen one of these HIRES ROOT BEER CONCENTRATE MAKES FIVE GALLONS cork top bottle i dug a few years ago.Any info on this one

Attachments

• my documents money maker two 009.jpg
    my documents money maker two 009.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 157
  • my documents money maker two 008.jpg
    my documents money maker two 008.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 142
  • my documents money maker two 007.jpg
    my documents money maker two 007.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 131
  • my documents money maker two 006.jpg
    my documents money maker two 006.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 159
  • my documents money maker two 004.jpg
    my documents money maker two 004.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 142
  • my documents money maker two 010.jpg
    my documents money maker two 010.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 132

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey SODABOTTLEBOB Nice old hires root beer paper lable,Have you ever seen one of these HIRES ROOT BEER CONCENTRATE MAKES FIVE GALLONS cork top bottle i dug a few years ago.Any info on this one

I've found a few similar bottles ABM, I assume they're on the common side, and I think it's the syrup or solution to make root beer at home.

baileyswla

Jan 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hires Bottle

Can you please post a photo of the bottle cap that is attached to that Hires bottle? Thanks.

bottles10:

It's been a while since I've posted on T-net, but thought it only appropriate to answer your question ... The last time I spoke with Rick Sweeney (who lives here in southern California and spearheaded the books), he said the books had pretty much run their course and because of other reasons was done with it. As for the Soda Fizz magazines, Rick said Kathy (I forget her last name] had taken that over but do to health reasons and other factors had also called it quits. So I wouldn't expect anything more from either one unless somebody else picks up the ball where they left off and runs with it, which seems highly unlikely at this time.

As for Hires Root Beer bottles, I bet no one's ever seen the one attached below. I bought it a couple of years ago and have been researching it ever sine. As far as I know, it is the only one like it. It's from the 1904 St. Louis Exposition (World's Fair) and made exclusively for that event. If anyone has seen another like it, or knows anything about it, please let me know. Gracias.'

View attachment 1016783 View attachment 1016784 View attachment 1016785 View attachment 1016786 View attachment 1016787

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread