Aging a Hires Root Beer Bottle?

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 4,075
OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Sherm:thumbsup:

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Cm ~

Your Hires bottle will have some embossed symbols/numbers/letters on the bottom. Tell me what they are and I will be able to tell you by who and when it was made ... but even without knowing the specifics, I can judge by the style that it is either a 1950s or 60s bottle ... and very possibly has a mark on it that looks like this ... 9 <(I)> 60

SBB

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
It does have numbers laid out just like you posted but the ones on mine are 7 <(I)> 53.

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, thank you very much. I appreciate the info. I think I'm going to start saving and collecting the old bottles I find.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
You're Welcome ...

Off and on I have been collecting (mostly finding/digging) old soda bottles for about 35 years and currently have about 500+. I know collectors who literally have thousands. Its a great hobby.

By the way (and I'm not sure this is the place to mention it) but I have a few (new-old stock) copies of Rick Sweeney's Painted Label Soda Bottle books that I got from Rick himself and have his permission to sell. They were last published in 2002 and hard to come by these days. They are considered the "must have" book by all painted label soda bottle colloctors. The books include a great deal of information and about 1,200 color pictures of bottles. I'm asking $45.00 each which includes free shipping. But I currently only have about two or three copies left and not sure if I will be getting anymore as I have been doing this since about January. Please send me a personal message (PM) if interested.

SBB

ACL Soda Bottle Book (447x600).jpg

ACL Book sample pages (640x477).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Would love that but no extra cash at the moment. Thank you though.

Jfoun

Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found an old Hires Bottle in my backyard. There isn't much left of the orange color on the bottle but all the white is still there. I was wondering if there was someway to what year the bottle is from?

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
Sodabottlebob Best book out there. Would you happen to know way they never printed number 4 like they where said they where going to. Do you know what happened to the girl that was putting out the news letter. Really miss it

Last edited:

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Sodabottlebob Best book out there. Would you happen to know way they never printed number 4 like they where said they where going to. Do you know what happened to the girl that was putting out the news letter. Really miss it

bottles10:

It's been a while since I've posted on T-net, but thought it only appropriate to answer your question ... The last time I spoke with Rick Sweeney (who lives here in southern California and spearheaded the books), he said the books had pretty much run their course and because of other reasons was done with it. As for the Soda Fizz magazines, Rick said Kathy (I forget her last name] had taken that over but do to health reasons and other factors had also called it quits. So I wouldn't expect anything more from either one unless somebody else picks up the ball where they left off and runs with it, which seems highly unlikely at this time.

As for Hires Root Beer bottles, I bet no one's ever seen the one attached below. I bought it a couple of years ago and have been researching it ever sine. As far as I know, it is the only one like it. It's from the 1904 St. Louis Exposition (World's Fair) and made exclusively for that event. If anyone has seen another like it, or knows anything about it, please let me know. Gracias.'

HIRES BOTTLE 1904 001 (196x500).jpg HIRES BOTTLE 1904 004 (600x344) (500x287) (400x230).jpg HIRES BOTTLE 1904 003 (600x378) (500x315).jpg HIRES BOTTLE 1904 007 (486x600) (405x500) (324x400) (324x400).jpg HIRES BOTTLE 1904 008 (600x433) (500x361).jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob, sit down, prop your feet up and hang around awhile. That other forum needs to share you. Lol, seriously, thanks for the visit sir

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Bob, sit down, prop your feet up and hang around awhile. That other forum needs to share you. Lol, seriously, thanks for the visit sir

Okey-dokey! Thanks.

And just for you, :thumbsup: I'll 'cap off' my visit with another pic of my extremely rare, only-known-example, possibly highly sought after, valuable, green glass, paper label, 1904 Hires Root Beer Bottle.

By the way, Hire's first Crown closure bottle was produced in 1897, which dates this one only seven years later.
HIRES BOTTLE 1904 CROPPED CAP (293x223) (293x223).jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish we could see the whole bottle

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw it Bob. Just messing around with you buddy. Trying to kidnap you to this site. Do you happen to own one of those hires/coca cola bottles?

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Do you happen to own one of those hires/coca cola bottles?

Nope! Seen 'em around but don't have one. I've curtailed my bottle buying and mostly doing research these days. I have about 500 soda bottles but only room enough to display about thirty of my favorites, which are the Big Chief acls.

I saw another thread I intend to post to about favorite bottles ... and my favorite ain't a Big Chief nor a Hires, it's a ... (see the other thread)

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i hate to hijack this thread but i think Coinstriking Michigan's question was answered. Bob, did you ever acquire the bottle you missed out on, the one you started a thread on titled "the one that got away" or something like that? It was a california bottle local to you if i remember correctly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions