not so old, but found in rocky creek

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Anytime I find an unbroken bottle in a creek, I'm amazed! The pictures don't show it to well, but there is an "I" inside the diamond on the bottom, so with internet research I found out it's an Illinois Glass Company bottle/jar from 1915-1929, which fits with some other "junk" I find in this creek. This was buried, I believe, and just uncovered with recent high water. My question, what kind of closure did it have, and is it really that old? Thanks for looking! 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

Naturegirl

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
I think it's beautiful. In a case like this,love it as it is. Don't ask how much it's worth. The bottle has history. When you were a child you might have seen a similar bottle in your grandmother's cupboard. My grandfather born in 1870 died in 1954. I sat on his lap as a child. I'm now digging up bottles that as a little boy I handled from his medicine cabinet. They are same age as your bottle. Don't let 'experts' tell you the bottle you found is worthless crap. It's sad that in today's world that all things must have monetary value or else they're junk.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks marbleguy, I think it's beautiful too! I only said it isn't "too old" because as bottles go, I don't think it is. But given where I live, it's old for white man trash, I'm very happy with it, I should have gotten an insitu so everyone could see how rocky an area I found it in, but I never believed it would be whole when i pulled it out of the mud. Monetary value never crossed my mind with this one! That's cool you are finding bottles you remember as a kid!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello; My assumption on the lid, was that it was the forerunner to the present metal screw cap. The indentations and raised portions near the mouth were where the cap fastened on.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks old digger, I still haven't found what the lid looked like, but I've learning a lot about the Owens Automatic bottleing machine, pretty interesting stuff! I also found three catelogues some wonderful soul put on line of bottles made by the Illinois Glass Company. My bottle has ghost seams! so cool to understand them, I've thought they were cracks of a badly made bottle. Any way, I'm thinking it may be a paint jar, seems to be the closest as far as size (32oz??) and shape.

http://www.sha.org/bottle/Typing/IGCo1920/page58.jpg

here are pictures of it's resting place! 001.JPG 002.JPG

Last edited:

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know that would look good with a bunch of flint in it to fill it up :wink: .

I love old jars---especially big ones......I use them to store all my smalls(little antiques).
Vintage jars are great organizers for things! Or even as a vase for wildflowers!
Neat find, Lisa! Glad you got to get out!

Carmon

IMG_0824 (648x800).jpg

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Carmon! That's exactly what I thought!!! a jar of pretty Kay county flint! Yep, great minds think alike:thumbsup: I love ALL your collections!

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
What a neat find! I've not seen a bottle like that one. Looks like you found it just in time...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread