Looking for tips on bottle basics

KinjoVT

Jun 7, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Prizim IV, BHID, GTAX 400, GTA 350, and a few others
I really haven't gotten into the bottle world until this weekend. My friends mother owns a house that was built in 1850 and told me that some sort of healer/medicine man built. I naturally inquired about using my metal detector which she seemed open to and then told me about a "bottle dump" about 50 yards from the house in a patch of woods that is surrounded by farm fields.

When I entered I saw shards of glass and pottery all around. Then I came across a huge area that was covered will all kinds of tin cans. I presume maybe oil cans and old Budweiser Cans too. I started moving the cans and found that the bottles underneath the cans were all mostly whole.

I picked out some I thought were interesting or old because I don't know anything about bottles. I found some Pepsi bottles that were embossed with no colors or labels that were not curved in the middle, found a bunch of small bottles with interesting shapes but no marks, a few green bottles that talked about it being a federal offense to refill or reuse, a small bottle that was some sort of liniment, a few Mum containers with some sort of cream inside, a few little blue what I believe to be Vicks because that is what the homeowner remembers them looking like. There was so many bottles that I did not want to carry them all out. I left them there so when I go back and continue to search I will know what I am looking for. This area is approximately 50ft by 50ft full of bottles.

My questions are what should I be looking for and what should I bring out and leave? This is the only thing I brought so far. It says it is a Full gallon, Wayne County, the Wayne County Produce Co, Registered do not refill. I could not find much on this but I assume it is fairly new.

photo.JPG

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
If it gets worse than that jug, leave it in the dump. Actually, although newer, that jug is fancy and might get a buck or so, wholesale. Color is a good starter. Look for color and embossing. That is a starter for a tough question to answer. It is not easy knowing bottles, or stamps or coins or marbles, or antiques of any sort, it is almost impossible to say with any meaning as to what to look for in these matters. Keep digging and posting, and study bottle collecting books.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread