Bottle dump? Need advice

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I decided to do some metal detecting in a woods near my place I've never been to, and while I was out I found an embankment that had old bottles cascading down it. I walked over to the mess and noticed a 1 gallon glass jug, a 1950/60 era sprite bottle, and an old looking large brown bottle all completely intact. There was a ton of bottles and old metal cans practically flowing down the alcove. At the top of the embankment was partially dug pit which looked to be filled with more bottles with a really new looking trench shovel sticking in it.

So here is my question, I honestly know very little about bottles. It's not a form of treasure hunting I've ever tried but I'm very curious about this spot and whether or not it would be worth looking into again. Given the fact a brand new shovel was in it, I know that I'm not the first person to find this spot, and it would seem to me that an actual bottle hunter has partially excavated the spot. Should I leave it alone, knowing that somebody has already found it, or is it okay to check it out and take back a few good bottles.

Thanks

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well.. assuming that the person before you saw everything that you did and yet decided to dig leaving the visible ones still there I get the feeling he's looking for a few particular pieces. you never know how someone will react running into someone at there.." secret spot".. I think if this person were very paranoid about sharing his spot the shovel would be gone and branches and leaves would be covering where he dug. I don't see why you couldn't get some for yourself and just be respectful if you see him there. you never know what might have fallen out of pockets or come off fingers or wrists while dumping I would continue with the metal detector... just my thoughts

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to dig bottle dumps all the time and once left my shovel at a site, only to realize it half-way home. I turned around to go get it-thank God it was still there.... Anyway, maybe the person forgot like me and was heading back to get it or most of us treasure hunters seem like cool people,maybe whoever was there "first" would appreciate the company of digging with someone. Depending on the site, people could have been dumping there forever, so the deeper you go, the more treasure you are likely to find : )

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good point the deepest should be the oldest

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to say, Always Learning is very right-some of us treasure hunters may be a bit "off" so be careful as well!

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like he said deeper you go the older the bottles. I been digging my old towns dump site they (bottles) are old but older ones are just a bit deeper. Like med,soda,bitters,remedy bottles,and my favorite Hutchinson soda bottles.

canadiandigger

Jul 5, 2012
woodstock ontario
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter/whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if those bottles were sitting on top and he clearly coulda seen em than id say he was more interested in digging for the older bottle id take the ones on top if i were u but let the guy dig the ones below. whenever i find a bottle dump im the first one to dig it so iv never run into this problem so just take a couple off the top

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to be a buzzkill, but if it's private property try to get permission first. You don't want to be dodging lead fired by a ticked-off landowner.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good point.. rock salt is no fun either. did that as a teenager.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to be a buzzkill, but if it's private property try to get permission first. You don't want to be dodging lead fired by a ticked-off landowner.

I was going to mention this ................... did you have permission to be there in the first place?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread