Hello from NC + AWESOME LOCAL PIECE!!!!!

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad for 15 minutes! :laughing7:

Hey everyone! Greetings from NC! I am super excited to share a great find with everyone! This my first post on this part of the forum, so I apologize for any mistakes: I am only an amature bottle digger, with a little bit of knowledge, and a whole lot of success! A little bit of history of me and my find:

I have been bottle hunting for two years now. I really got into bottle digging when I discovered an early 1900's bottle dump 5 minutes from my house. I have pulled over 60 bottles out of there and still am! (I can post some pics later if ya'll want) Anyway, I have also found many insulators and other misc.

I live in Rowan County, which is where the famous "southern" soft-drink "Cheerwine" was invented in 1917. Cheerwine is still mainly found North and South Carolina, but is quickly spreading to Georgia, Florida, and other places north. For a bottle digger, an original 1917 Cheerwine straight-side soda bottle with an embossed cherry would be the crown jewel. I beleive the cherry embossed design was only made for 6 months. (I myself have only seen 2: One at a local bottle show, behind a glass case with a $1,000 price tag, and my friend has one that his neighbor gave him, not knowing what it was. It has some scratches and chips, but still appraised for over $300!)

Then they replaced the cherry with an embossed "CW" crossed over each other. They used this design from 1918 - 1923 I believe and still run high prices. I have found 3 of these, all broken. But yesterday, while waiting for my church to start, I walked back into the woods to a small 1940's era bottle dump that I had found a couple months ago. I had found a few milk glass jars, some old sodas, etc. But yesterday, while kicking up a small embankment, I saw the top and an embossed "CW". I obviously got excited, but not hopeful because alot of the bottles around me were broken. But when I pulled it out... you could hear me a mile away! :o:hello2:This dates this dump to the early 20's at least! (The church is over 100 years old.) I also found some milk glass, and some sodas, but this was definetly the prize! Sorry to talk so much... forgive me. Just excited and wanted to share! Hope you enjoy my rambling and find! Take care, HH, and God Bless!

-ncsilverspider

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
-Matthew 6:21

IMG_20120822_182647.jpg

IMG_20120822_182655.jpg

IMG_20120822_182938.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20120822_183050.jpg
    IMG_20120822_183050.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 126

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
that is a nice bottle. locals are always great to find. I would be digging there every day.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find, the ones from Salisbury do OK on Ebay, they made them later than 1928 though, Laurens Glass Works made them into the mid 1930's and possibly later...

OP
OP
ncsilverspider

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, the ones from Salisbury do OK on Ebay, they made them later than 1928 though, Laurens Glass Works made them into the mid 1930's and possibly later...

Didn't know that... thanks for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread