OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.. Its just that I have several top finishes from a second Seminole war fort from the 1830's that are applied which is defferent of course but not at all crude. Also in the bottle I have pictured there is a lot of air bubbles and clearly visible tool marks on the finish. There is no seam anywhere. I just don't see thing that points to machine made. also no one has pointed out anything another than it would be more warn or crude. You should be able to see the air bubbles when backlit. So far I have posted alot of visible evidence of it not being machine made.

ForumRunner_20121126_131547.png

ForumRunner_20121126_130739.png

ForumRunner_20121126_130923.png

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) there is no seam
2) there is air bubbles
3) there is tooling marks on finish in a circular pattern
4) it was found at a homestead site dating 1903. Can someone give something other than a vague opinion? Point out something searchable about this piece?

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
1) there is no seam
2) there is air bubbles
4) it was found at a homestead site dating 1903. Can someone give something other than a vague opinion? Point out something searchable about this piece?

If you are happy with your find we have no right to talk down about it or try to say it is no different than what you percieve it as. If you are happy with it, and are satisfied with what you know, than ignore anything we have to say.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don't be condescending... all I'm asking for is some bases in fact. Can you point out anything to back your opinion? I don't know why this is like pulling teeth!

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted one bottle and Harry posts an entire thread about numerous types.. and says this is what we know...wow. If someone posts an artifact in the Indian artifacts forum we speak directly to the piece in question backing our observation with specific facts and reports..not just because I know so.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
MrSchulz said:
If you are happy with your find we have no right to talk down about it or try to say it is no different than what you percieve it as. If you are happy with it, and are satisfied with what you know, than ignore anything we have to say.

Dude I am impressed with your attitude. All people your age and mine could take lessons from you. It's going to be more difficult to bust your chops in the future. But your only fifteen so I Most likely will.

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
1) there is no seam
2) there is air bubbles

French wine bottles are typically blown in paste molds, and are called "turn-mold" bottles. You won't find seams.

Air bubbles in bottle glass are common well into the 20th century.

Circular marks are left on turn-mold bottle because they are, literally, rotated in the mold.

The French were about a decade ahead of US technology in bottle-making at the TOC20. A 1903 date for the bottle is a possibility . . . but, so is a date of 1923 or 1953 or even later. Everything about champagne - including the bottles - is tradition-bound, very conservative. That is still true today.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was well put together. Thank you for the clarification Harry.

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the bottle did not actually do much tumbling. I saw the area where the find was made, lots of 'cushion' there-some sort of sea oats, plant material, dead plant material that resembled soft hay and soft sand. Lots of other stuff emerged from the sand after Sandy, things that were never there before, so probably the bottle was buried in the sand for years and years rather than tumbled around. The area was a popular one back in the day. The bottle is still a gorgeous and given its age, in very good shape despite the elements.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions