Bed Bug Bottle found in wall, any ideas?

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
Hey guys, my parents purchases a mid-1800's house and my dad found a cache of sorts in the one floor void. Many 13 starred flags, old clothing, an old cane, an 1800's indian head penny and this bottle pictured. The pharmacy, in Tremont PA is about 4 miles from where they now live. They have had a few offers on this bottle from locals, pretty hefty offers at that. Is this because it is a local piece, or is this bottle something more? Thanks for the help, i'd love to find out it has a large value as they could use the cash right now.

Attachments

• photo123.JPG
    photo123.JPG
    459.4 KB · Views: 375

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the thirteen-starred flags are genuine post-revolutionary flags, they are worth quite a bit. The real value is beyond my scope, but they should be checked out. Nice bottle though, especially with the label intact.

OP
OP
djm of PA

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
Thanks, I never thought of the flags being the big find, i'll see if dad can forward me pics and let u see them. I hope he still has them and didn't sell them, ugh!

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of what you mentioned in your first post, are highly collected items in one form or another. Regarding the bottle, do you have a picture of the bottom? Some of those early bottles, were hand blown into molds and have a pontil mark on the bottom, that would give an idea of it's age. Also those "slip-molded" bottles are very collectable.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you's have at least 2 collectables in one, on the bottle

Poison bottles are collectable.
Local bottles are collectable.

odd I can't find mention of the pharmacist Schultz in the history books.
perhaps a trip to the historical society in tremont,
will help date his business but definitely older then Leidich
I think they are open 2nd. sat each month.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Established 1868 ? oldest pharmacy in county

listed as Circa 1940 post card
Untitlede.jpg

OP
OP
djm of PA

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
I'll get a bottom picture this afternoon and post it up hopefully tonight.
Jeff, believe it or not, we found a broken Schultz Tremont bottle in the creek at my place, 45 miles away! all that was left was the face with the name on it. imagine my surprise when looking down and seeing my hometown name staring up at me :)

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottle is worth about $25 ..... But also worth what a collector would pay.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll get a bottom picture this afternoon and post it up hopefully tonight.
Jeff, believe it or not, we found a broken Schultz Tremont bottle in the creek at my place, 45 miles away! all that was left was the face with the name on it. imagine my surprise when looking down and seeing my hometown name staring up at me :)

Cool ! being it's the oldest Pharmacy in Schuylkill county I could imagine allot traveled there

a google search of j.h. schultz tremont pa found a Few other things including his Obit but nothing suggesting the age is that old

https://www.google.com/search?q=+j....1b85a699ef1b350&bpcl=35466521&biw=800&bih=437

Last edited:

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DJM,
You might trying contacting The National Bottle Museum at "nationalbottlemuseum.org". They were very hepful to me a number of years ago when I was trying to find out the history of some case gin bottles a friend had found. They can also direct you to bottle auctions to help you dispose of the bottle if you wish. They also have an annual auction themselves.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little bit of a tangent.... but, aren't blue bottles made from a gold solution during process? EDIT: Cobalt is added to make blue glass. (gold makes ruby (red) glass. TTC

Last edited:

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
djm of PA said:
Hey guys, my parents purchases a mid-1800's house and my dad found a cache of sorts in the one floor void. Many 13 starred flags, old clothing, an old cane, an 1800's indian head penny and this bottle pictured. The pharmacy, in Tremont PA is about 4 miles from where they now live. They have had a few offers on this bottle from locals, pretty hefty offers at that. Is this because it is a local piece, or is this bottle something more? Thanks for the help, i'd love to find out it has a large value as they could use the cash right now.

Great story and finds!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
that bottle in attic condition with label may push a bit more that twenty five beans, I say maybe fifty to one hundred for serious poison collectors.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to see the flags. The bottle is cool.

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here, here;

Please get some photos of the flags.

thanx,
capt-zero

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, with the storm, I'm not sure if he's gotten too busy to remember this thread at the moment or ?
I'll send him a note

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread