6 1/2 oz 10-2-4 "Good for Life" Dr Pepper Bottles

CalebTreasurenet

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two 10-2-4, "Good for Life" bottles. One of them has the city it was bottled in as well as the Owens-Illinois Glass Company mark embossed on the base (The rest is debossed).

The other has no bottling information, is slightly shorter, and the glass is nearly twice as thick on the base (debossed as well).

I assume they're around 1930, but I can't explain the differences in bottling info. Any help?

OP
OP
C

CalebTreasurenet

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found that on the first bottle, the mark goes as follows: 3 "I-in-an-oval-superimposed-on-an-elongated-diamond" 50
The 50 is supposed mean 1950, but the city it was supposedly bottled in was Atlanta. That bottling factory in Atlanta wasn't started till the 60's. Also, the code for Atlanta is 10, not 3. I'm hopelessly confused.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I just found that on the first bottle, the mark goes as follows: 3 "I-in-an-oval-superimposed-on-an-elongated-diamond" 50
The 50 is supposed mean 1950, but the city it was supposedly bottled in was Atlanta. That bottling factory in Atlanta wasn't started till the 60's. Also, the code for Atlanta is 10, not 3. I'm hopelessly confused.

Happy Christmas, Caleb,

I think you may be scrambling up your information here. Some clear photos of the bottles might contain the answer.

Are you reading the Owens Illinois date codes correctly?

image001.gif
Owens-Illinois Glass Company

The Owens-Illinois plant the bottle was made at was Fairmont, West Virginia. The Owens information on your bottle has nothing to do with Atlanta.

Owens-Illinois opened a glass plant in Atlanta ca. 1960.

Dr. Pepper was engaged in a 1951 Restraint of Trade lawsuit with Coca-Cola. I do not know when Dr. Pepper was first bottled in or distributed to Atlanta, but I bet it was considerably prior to 1960. There is currently a "1954 Atlanta Dr. Pepper" at that e-place for $5.99 BIN. It is poorly photographed, and not described.

img_0093.jpg

OP
OP
C

CalebTreasurenet

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I haven't responded for so long. After a month or so, I figured no one knew and moved on. I'll have some pictures of the bottle up shortly. :)

OP
OP
C

CalebTreasurenet

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DPBottom.jpg
On the first picture you can see that it says "ATLANTA GA." as well as "3-OI-50" with an "S" superimposed on the "50". So it would have been bottled in Fairmont 1950? Then what of the ATL business? Also, why is the 1930's bottle being produced in 1950? Thanks for your help!

P.S. I also found some embossed numbers on the very bottom of the bottle. On the front it says "C 1289" and the number "12" is on the back. Not sure if that's important.

Front
DSC05109.JPG

Back
DSC05108.JPG

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
So it would have been bottled in Fairmont 1950? Then what of the ATL business? Also, why is the 1930's bottle being produced in 1950? Thanks for your help!

Hello Caleb,

Owens Illinois was a glass manufacturer, not a bottler. The bottle was made at the Fairmont, WV plant in 1950 for the Atlanta bottler. Duraglas was a patented Owens Illinois process that debuted in 1940.

I'm not sure what you mean by "1930's bottle." This style bottle was used for many years. The other numbers may refer to mould numbers or customer information. I do not know.

dr_pepper_1947.jpg
At 10-2 and 4 O’Clock, It Was Dr. Pepper Time

OP
OP
C

CalebTreasurenet

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, thanks for the info. All the bottling information was really confusing me. :)

WhitesofPCB

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2012
Panama City Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro - BeachHunter 300 - Prizm 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got one yesterday - Panama City, Fla on bottom and the letters LGW in the middle with the clock 10-2-4 - can anyone help me here with a date ??

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Barbara,

Thanks for telling us of your find. Could you post some photos of your bottle and the markings in question, please.

"L G W………………Laurens Glass Works, Laurens, South Carolina (1910-1996). Plants also operated in Henderson, North Carolina (opened 1957) and Ruston, Louisiana. The Henderson and Ruston plants are now part of Saint-Gobain Containers. Laurens Glass Works was a prolific manufacturer of soda bottles. The “L G W” is often seen on the bases of these soda bottles, along with mold , date, and/or style code numbers." GLASS MANUFACTURERS' MARKS ON BOTTLES & OTHER GLASSWARE~~ PAGE TWO

161352710.jpg

May 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a debossed 6 1/2 oz. Dr. Pepper Good For Life bottle which has no information on the bottom. However, around the very bottom rim it has 4 LGW 2. I believe that the LCW stands for the Laurens Glass Works and the 4 and 2 indicate that it was manufactured in 1942. Am I correct in my thinking?

Thanks,
James

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a debossed 6 1/2 oz. Dr. Pepper Good For Life bottle which has no information on the bottom. However, around the very bottom rim it has 4 LGW 2. I believe that the LCW stands for the Laurens Glass Works and the 4 and 2 indicate that it was manufactured in 1942. Am I correct in my thinking?

Thanks,
James
Yes...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread