Owens-Illinois Plant Numbers

mdavidf

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had this site bookmarked for about year and have used the information a lot. However, I'm having difficulties locating specific information and I am hoping someone can help.

I have the charts (.jpg and .gif) I've seen shown on this site and the internet listing the Owens-Illinois Plant Codes, but I am unable to find a list that shows a specific plant.

I have a "Christmas Coke" bottle with this embossed on the bottom:

EUGENE
24 <(I)> 5
OREGON

I know "24" is the plant code, the symbol is Owens-Illinois, and the "5" refers to the year of manufacturing - in this case either 1925 or 1935.

What I am unable to find is a complete listing of the plant codes used by Owens-Illinois. None of the lists I have, or that I'm able to find state where Plant Code 24 is/was located...can somebody help?

Obviously, I'm just looking in the wrong area. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
coketext.jpg

Hello mdavidf ,

Would you be able to post some photos of this bottle, please.

SODAPOPBOB will enjoy your observations, I think. I'm far from a Coke guy, and don't have Bill Porter's book, but am surprised there was a Christmas Coke in Eugene.

franklin_med.jpg
History of the former Lew Williams/Joe Romania Chevrolet Dealership Showroom in Eugene, OR. Mid Century Modern Architecture

OP
OP
M

mdavidf

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually have two Eugene, Oregon Christmas Coke bottles, the information on the other was easier to identify.

Anyway, here are the photos of the bottle I'm asking about...Thanks!

Eugene_Bottle.JPG Eugene_Bottle_2.JPG Eugene_Bottle_3.JPG

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !
Could the glass mark possibly be other that O-I? I ask that because the mark "I" appears indistinct and the O-I lists that I've seen have omitted plant number "24".
Don.......

OP
OP
M

mdavidf

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think so, I've even looked at it with a loupe and I'm fairly certain there's an "I" in the mark, but here's a close-up view in case anyone knows of manufacturing mark that looks similar.

Thanks you guys!

Eugene_Bottle_4.JPG

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think so, I've even looked at it with a loupe and I'm fairly certain there's an "I" in the mark, but here's a close-up view in case anyone knows of manufacturing mark that looks similar.

Thanks you guys!

View attachment 724667

Hey mdavidf,

That's an Owens Illinois mark, for sure.

Mansfield, MA was plant 24. Owens Illinois 1st Anniversary Bottle Plant 24 Mansfield MA 10" | eBay

1975 Owens Illinois Mansfield MA Glass Soda Bottle | eBay

Thus far, I've found no further information about the plant. The University of Toledo has the O-I archive.

"...Some Owens-Illinois-made Coke bottles actually used the standard Owens- Illinois format (e.g., 24 OI mark 4 - Porter 1996:4, 7)... SHA Owens-Illinois Glass Company

lockhart_two.gif

OP
OP
M

mdavidf

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Surf...

Yeah, I saw the SHA article and thought it was odd that 24 was used in an example without any reference to it.

Mansfield is a good find, maybe that's it.

David

missabear

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey i'm going to resurrect this thread. a friend and i were digging in an old hospital dump site here in michigan. the hospital opened in 1911. i'm not sure when it was closed down. my friend is in her mid 30s and remembers it being boarded up and caving in since she was a kid. anyway. i found some duraglas bottles there. one is a 2oz bottle with measuring gradient on the side and says pour here on the top. the other is a 3oz bottle with measuring on the side and an embossed 3iii on the top.

on the bottom of the 2oz bottle it has the logo in the middle which is a diamond shape with a circle over it and an I in the middle of the circle. to the left of the logo the plant number is 8 followed by a dot then to the right of the logo there is a 9 followed by a dot

on the 3 oz one it has the same logo the plant number on the left is 5 (i couldn't find that number on any list) the date number to the right is 6 no dots after any number.

i'm curious about the 3oz one because i couldn't find a plant listing for 5 . any idea of the dates? i'm curious, theres a whole junk yard left to excavate

photo (1).JPG photo (2).JPG photo.JPG

missabear

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey i'm going to resurrect this thread. a friend and i were digging in an old hospital dump site here in michigan. the hospital opened in 1911. i'm not sure when it was closed down. my friend is in her mid 30s and remembers it being boarded up and caving in since she was a kid. anyway. i found some duraglas bottles there. one is a 2oz bottle with measuring gradient on the side and says pour here on the top. the other is a 3oz bottle with measuring on the side and an embossed 3iii on the top.

on the bottom of the 2oz bottle it has the logo in the middle which is a diamond shape with a circle over it and an I in the middle of the circle. to the left of the logo the plant number is 8 followed by a dot then to the right of the logo there is a 9 followed by a dot

on the 3 oz one it has the same logo the plant number on the left is 5 (i couldn't find that number on any list) the date number to the right is 6 no dots after any number.

i'm curious about the 3oz one because i couldn't find a plant listing for 5 . any idea of the dates? i'm curious, theres a whole junk yard left to excavate

View attachment 976630 View attachment 976631 View attachment 976632

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread