gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the best ways to dress up a dumper, get it totally clean of rust and dirt, use gravel shake method. Dry thoroughly. Take a can of clear lacquer spray paint, good quality. Spray the whole thing, inside and out, get enough inside to slosh around to cover all the surfaces, and prop upside down on a wooden dowel to fully drain off and dry, dont touch it for twenty four hours. This is durable, and you can handle it without worry of touching any oils. But the lacquer treatment pales in comparison to a true polish, you can still tell its sicker than a dog.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there any way to get this terrible white cloudy staining off? Would tumbling work? By some miracle a piece of the metal closure is still on the neck after surviving YEARS in saltwater mud. Would tumbling hurt this? I don't think I can get the metal piece off. Any input would be appreciated.

That is a heck of a nice ice blue blob. It is at the very edge of tumbling. It might cost you thirty bucks. I could be a hundred dollar plus bottle after, or maybe more. As far as the brass ring around the neck, that is a highly unusual design, I almost want to say it is not original, I would bet thirty bucks on it.

OP
OP
bottlehunterofcoscob

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can guarantee, because I pulled this bottle out of the mud, that the brass piece is original. It doesn't seem to look like anything I've seen in pics.

OP
OP
bottlehunterofcoscob

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if I'm following what you're saying gleaner1. Your two posts kind of conflict each other. If this bottle was yours, what would you do with it? Thanks!

TrickyVik

Jan 2, 2013
If it was mine I would not pay to get it cleaned but I would keep that band on there use acid.(it won't destroy the band)

OP
OP
bottlehunterofcoscob

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just oiled it and it actually looks fantastic! I never would have thought.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure if I'm following what you're saying gleaner1. Your two posts kind of conflict each other. If this bottle was yours, what would you do with it? Thanks!

I just dont think the value is there to tumble. If you find out its worth sixty or eighty bucks or more in attic mint condition, then do it. That is a cool stopper band, is the loop soldered together, or just bent over??

band.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bottlehunterofcoscob

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's bent over. I can't find this blob anywhere. I'll have to find someone who knows about bottles in my local area.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'll look in the hutch book then paste a thousand pics about it then I will provide to tell you it is valueless and common but I would pay three bucks for it wet and shiny.
Thanks very little.

TrickyVik, all the bottles posted are cool, even yours. Please wake up and realize that most bottles posted are good, but probably aint worth crap. Especially yours. Now go get some more. Good luck to you!

OP
OP
bottlehunterofcoscob

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
TrickyVik, all the bottles posted are cool, even yours. Please wake up and realize that most bottles posted are good, but probably aint worth crap. Especially yours. Now go get some more. Good luck to you!

Well put!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
TrickyVik, you ghastly elf-like bottle dude. What the frik are YOU doin up at this ungodly hour? I am studying old topo maps of an abandoned village not far away, mid eighteen hundreds. Lots of foundations they say. Should be a hella good bottle dump in there somewhere I hope.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well said,gleaner1. It took me 20 years, of collecting to accecpt the fact that some bottles wont ever look new again! Sick glass will NOT clean up, no matter what you use

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug bottles for years. Have a basement full and most are sick and not worth anything. I do have a ton of coke bottles I have not pulled out in years. I need to clean them one day. Digging a small dump as I have time and got a nice little flask the other day it must be 1/8 narrow on the inside in the middle. I love old bottles though. Nice blob you found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread