maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what looks to be a good bottle dump, from the late 1800's, in the SF bay. But its an area that can only be accessed at a very low tide, and will need a lot of digging. Is there any problem with the Fish & Game, or anyone else, with digging in the mud flats? Im sure there are at least a dozen organizations that might have something to say about it, so does anyone know of the laws about disturbing the tidal flat areas? Or does anyone have any experience?

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go picking those kinds of places all the time. Have never been approached and who cares if someone disturbs muck that is most of the time underwater anyway? I wouldn't worry about it. Also, wouldn't want to tip anyone off on what sounds like a virgin area. Never know. Just my thoughts.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello maipenrai,

I'd just go clam digging. No worries, eh.

"Clams

Open all year from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset. It is unlawful to be on any clam beach with any instrument capable of being used to dig clams during the closed night time hours. The limit on Littleneck Clams, Soft-shell Clams, Chiones, Northern Quahogs, and Cockles is 50 in combination. All softshell clams dug, regardless of size or broken condition, must be retained until the bag limit is reached." Current Ocean Fishing Regulations, San Francisco Management Area

caljsiol_sio1ca175_004_060.gif
The Edible Clams, Mussels and Scallops of California

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your place is wide open and every person walking by would see you, that would be a different story. If that area has a lot of people nearby it could be awkward. Again, just thoughts.

OP
OP
maipenrai

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never thought of clam digging, but I would sure hate to be busted for digging clams without a license and out of season!! That would be a big laugh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread