Double-die clear Hemingray - 42!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Recently I found a huge lot of CD 154 insulators along a spur line; the poles had been cut down and many still had insulators still on them. All but one are CD 154; I did find one Hemingray 40 (CD 152) which, unfortunately, I asked Miss halfdime to clean out. I didn't realize at the time that there was one that was different, and she chipped it. Good learning experience for both of us! The Hemingray's all had a dark coating of (soot?) on them, and I finally discovered something that would remove it: The Works toilet cleaner. I let them soak for a day, then use a Scotch pad and the dirt comes off pretty easily. Until today, every one of the Hemingray-42 that I've cleaned (20?) has been a dark aqua. I noticed one that had a "double-die" Hemingray on the front skirt, with a 0 below it, and decided it was next in the cleaning line. This morning, after I removed it from the acid and started scrubbing, it was quickly apparent that this one was clear (or nearly so; I can't decide if there is a slight aqua tint to it). I checked the Hemingray resource on the Internet and it shows a short mold variety "always clear or nearly clear." Unfortunately, or not, this one is no shorter than the many dark aquas I've found. I've discovered that there are many different varieties of lettering, and they all appear to be the 070 style. Has anyone seen a clear Hemingray-42 before (in other words, how common are they?) that isn't the short mold variety? I still have a few dozen Hemingray -42 to clean, so I may find another. I've also included a picture of a Lynchburg No. 44 (I've found two).

Attachments

• clearhemingray 001 (Small).jpg
    clearhemingray 001 (Small).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 172
  • clearhemingray 002 (Small).jpg
    clearhemingray 002 (Small).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 4insulators (Small).jpg
    4insulators (Small).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 138

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I was unaware of them in clear until you posted this one, Ebay is our friend...LOL:hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread