Need Privy help

Bumpa66

Feb 4, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone! I am new to this site, but have read a lot of good info off this site. I have found an old homesite back in the woods. The site sits about 100 yards up a hill from the old dirt road. The driveway seems to lead up to the side of the house. All thats left is the cellar hole, a cistern on the side of the house, and the fallen down brick chimney on the same side of the foundation. I have located the trash pit about 50-70 yards down hill, and all the surface finds have been from the 30's and 40's. I have started to dig this pit, but haven't found anything old yet. I have been trying to locate the privy with my 4 1/2 ft probe. About 30-40 ft out from the back corner of the house, I found a depression in the ground. When I probed it, it seemed to hit rock or brick a couple feet down. Everywhere else around the property seems to allow the probe to go down almost all the way to the handle. Could this depression be the privy, that was maybe filled in with rock or brick? It's the only depression I can find. From the other back corner of the foundation, there is a fenceline corner about 20-30 ft. I probed here too (although there was no depression), and was able to take the probe all the way down. Nothing came up on my probe except dirt, and I couldnt find any walls to a privy, going in at an angle. The confusing part for me is that the majority of the ground around the yard of this old site allows me to sink the probe all the way to the handle. But the only depression I have found so far seems to have rocks or bricks stopping me at about 2 feet. Any suggestions??

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Howdy Bumpa66,

Welcome to TNet. I'm not getting a feel for this site from your description, sorry.

I'd dig down & around on the rocky spot and have a look, and re-probe. Take your camera and show us the lay of the land, if you would, please.

Have you dug down in the cellar hole itself?

early_settlers_rabbit_run.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bumpa66

Feb 4, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Bumpa66,

Welcome to TNet. I'm not getting a feel for this site from your description, sorry.

I'd dig down & around on the rocky spot and have a look, and re-probe. Take your camera and show us the lay of the land, if you would, please.

Have you dug down in the cellar hole itself?

early_settlers_rabbit_run.jpg

Thanks Surf. I wil be back to this site in a week, and I will take some photos. I have not dug in the cellar hole yet. It is loaded with brick from the large chimney that has fallen down, and with metal. I have been busy trying to locate the privy, and also digging the trash dump which is located in a small ravine. I will post pictures and keep you posted with finds when I return to site.

OP
OP
B

Bumpa66

Feb 4, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you hit the privy to me, you describe the classic signs. Get diggin and dont forget the pics please.

Thanks gleaner1. I am returning to this site this weekend. Do you think the depression that I found, which the probe is hitting rock or brick, is the privy? I will dig a test hole when I return.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread