Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy fishstick,

The British spell it that way.

Blackwhitewhiskey.jpg
Black & White (whisky)

Thanx SURF. Imagine that. They've had to been around for awhile because this is from the canal dump and everything is turn of the cent or earlier. What style wood you place this? Wood the #3 with the point on the bottom help? thanx. HH

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
What style wood you place this? Wood the #3 with the point on the bottom help?

Hey fishstick,

I'm not following you on "style." The 3 is probably a mould number. Where does the seam end prior to the finish?

17236_1.jpg

OP
OP
fishstick

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey fishstick,

I'm not following you on "style." The 3 is probably a mould number. Where does the seam end prior to the finish?

17236_1.jpg

Sorry for any confusion SURF. There's a seam that runs around the bottle right under the name and seams that run from there to almost the bottom ring on top of the bottle. I just thgt it mite be a certain style thats all.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the mold seam runs all the way to the top through the lip then it's not that old. It would have been made by an ABM. If the seam stops shy of the lip then it's blown in mold with an applied or tooled lip. If the seam runs up to the start of the neck and then has a circular mold seam around the neck then another seam running to the top it is a 3 piece mold. Hope that helps. Both of the latter ones could be late 19th century I think. HH

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
threemoldshoulder.jpg

threepiecemold.jpg

"...Morphologically, three-piece mold bottles have a horizontal mold seam encircling the bottle where the shoulder and body meet and two mold seams on opposite sides running vertically from the shoulder seam, up the shoulder, and variably up the neck and/or finish. Click on the small picture to the right to view a close-up of the mold seams on the shoulder and neck of this late (1900-1910) mouth-blown, three-piece mold liquor bottle. Some neck seams disappear right above the junction of the shoulder and neck, particularly on the earlier Ricketts' bottles which were not molded above the shoulder (neck formed with post molding tools). Later side mold seams end immediately below the base of the applied finish (1830s-1880s), and the latest three-piece mold bottles (1890s into the early 20th century) may have side mold seams ending within the improved tooled finish, like the bottle pictured to the right if one looks closely. Three-piece mold bottles are not embossed on the body of the bottle, though may have embossing on the shoulder (fairly common), neck (unusual), and/or base (very common).

Most bottles which are commonly referred to as three-piece molds were actually made in a mold that had at least a fourth base plate piece, like already noted for the Ricketts' patent mold bottles. The bottle pictured to the left also had a separate base plate even though the bottle is largely unembossed (there are mold numbers very faintly embossed on the base). Click three-piece mold base to view a close-up picture of the base showing the base plate seam ridge (mold numbers not visible). Use of a separate base piece undoubtedly made construction of the mold easier. Although most three-piece mold bottles actually had four mold parts, referring to them as "three-piece" molds will certainly continue due to its ubiquitous use over the years. To suggest changing the name would be confusing and unproductive since most people understand what is being referred to (Toulouse 1969b). What is called the four-piece mold is a variation of the three-piece mold with two body halves; it is discussed in the box below..." Bottle Bases Page Thanks to Bill Lindsey.

klamath-falls.png

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joshr29 said:
If the mold seam runs all the way to the top through the lip then it's not that old. It would have been made by an ABM. If the seam stops shy of the lip then it's blown in mold with an applied or tooled lip. If the seam runs up to the start of the neck and then has a circular mold seam around the neck then another seam running to the top it is a 3 piece mold. Hope that helps. Both of the latter ones could be late 19th century I think. HH

Great info surf. You put what I said to shame lol. I guess I wasn't too far off. I'm still learning. HH

Chrystal

Apr 5, 2012
Pauls Valley, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coudos to all of y'all for the help and info you gave fish stick!!! That's one of the reasons I love t net, what a wonderful website!!! :notworthy:

OP
OP
fishstick

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANX for all the GREAT INFO everyone!!!!!! HH....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions