bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
337.JPG 346.JPG 347.JPG 348.JPG 349.JPG IMG_4041.JPG I'd like to get some info on this coke bottle. Here's its story.

After Hurricane Sandy, many trees were down in my area of Southern CT (as was the case in most places in the tristate area). Just a little while after the storm my friend and I were walking around near my favorite trout stream looking for glass when I saw a tree that had been completely uprooted and toppled by Sandy. It was in the middle of the wider and deeper part of the stream on the edge of an island. As I looked at it from shore I could see some shards of glass in the roots along with a whole bottle. I quickly called dibs on the tree to my friend and tried to think of a way to get across the icy cold stream with no waders. There was no way but to just suck it up and walk across. My first few steps were painful, but after a while my feet became numb from the water filling my boots. Finally, I made it to the island and proceeded to run to the tree. It had been partially submerged, but now it was lying across the island with its roots on the edge of the shore. I grabbed the bottle stuck between the roots that I had seen earlier. Could be a 1920's or so soda but no embossing. No good. Too bad. Then I started feeling in the water where the roots used to be, and there was this coke. The tree had grown completely over it! That's kinda cool.

Anyway, this coke is icy blue and embossed TRADEMARK REGISTERED BOTTLE PAT D NOV, 16 1916 and on the other side TRADEMARK REGISTERED MIN CONTENTS 6 FL-OZS. On the bottom it is embossed 4. This bottle is clean but has cracks and chips ( a tree grew over it!). I didn't think coke bottles from ths time were embossed 1916 but 1915. It definitely says 1916, though. What's the deal? Any info would be appreciated. Here are some pics.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey bhCC,

This is indeed the date of the first generation of the iconic hobble-skirt Coca-Cola bottles. Called the "Contour Bottle" by some. Is there a maker's mark? City?

$(KGrHqJ,!lIFCe0G6WneBQyN3if3Vw~~60_57.JPG

Here's a great article by Bill Lochart & Bill Porter: Tracking the Hobble-Skirt Coca-Cola Bottle

200px-HobbleSkirtPostcard.jpg

OP
OP
bottlehunterofcoscob

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info surf, great picture. No embossing other than what I described.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a good bottle. There isn't a city on the bottom for sure?

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Your bottle is a early example, either 1917 or 18, in 1919 they started embossing the town/city on the bottom

OP
OP
bottlehunterofcoscob

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. Thanks for the info. This bottle's in rough shape and has chips and cracks. It's clean though. What's the value? Five bucks tops?

iamkevyn

Jun 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY…SPEAK OF THE DEVIL . I FOUND THIS SAME COKE BOTTLE IN NEW HAMPSHIRE Same CROOKED LETTERING AND LOGO AND IT INDEED HAS ( 1916 ) AS THE PATENT DATE WITH A 4 ON THE BOTTOM . LUCKILY THE ONE I FOUND DOSN’T HAVE ANY CONDITION PROBLEMS…ITS ACTUALLY “MINT “ EXCEPT FOR LOT’S OF BUBBLES . I HAD REMEMBERED READING THIS ARTICLE ON TREASURENET SEVERAL YEARS AGO, AND REFERRED BACK TO IT TODAY TO MAKE THIS POST ….SMALL WORLD …isn’t it ? iamkevyn

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY…SPEAK OF THE DEVIL . I FOUND THIS SAME COKE BOTTLE IN NEW HAMPSHIRE Same CROOKED LETTERING AND LOGO AND IT INDEED HAS ( 1916 ) AS THE PATENT DATE WITH A 4 ON THE BOTTOM . LUCKILY THE ONE I FOUND DOSN’T HAVE ANY CONDITION PROBLEMS…ITS ACTUALLY “MINT “ EXCEPT FOR LOT’S OF BUBBLES . I HAD REMEMBERED READING THIS ARTICLE ON TREASURENET SEVERAL YEARS AGO, AND REFERRED BACK TO IT TODAY TO MAKE THIS POST ….SMALL WORLD …isn’t it ? iamkevyn

Cool. You mentioning lots of bubble makes me wonder if it might be hand blown. There are a few out there. Let's see some pictures!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread