OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome. A good number of bottle collectors will not keep stuff that is ABM but I think they still made some pretty cool bottles that way. I love that really deep blue color. I have a small poison bottle that matches the color of that Vicks bottle.

Yeah my neighbor has some really cool bottles that he has found back there. One of them was one of the cobalt blue bottles, but his looks like an actually medicine bottle kind of like a flask shape. There is also a civil war camp site for the infantry about a mile from my site as well. I have never bottle hunted before but after finding that and given the age of the site im at I will keep my eyes open for sure. May be a new hobby for me.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. That civil war camp site could very well have some relics left in it if you have a metal detector and permission. I haven't got to touch anything from a war. That would be very cool.

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. That civil war camp site could very well have some relics left in it if you have a metal detector and permission. I haven't got to touch anything from a war. That would be very cool.

The civil war site is a city park. A very tiny city park too lol. There were supposedly thousands of soldiers camped there. They built a bunch of houses all around the tiny park and those people probably do not care about what they are sitting on top of. I contacted the guy in charge of the city parks and he told me that I can move pinestraw, but no digging lol. I said ok and went to the old mill park and "moved some pine straw" for a few minutes yesterday.:thumbsup:

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang that is unfortunate. It's sad how much history gets covered up every day to be lost for the next few hundred years at least. I've heard that trains used to stop an dump there trash in certain areas. Maybe you can find one of them. Also certain railroad spikes will actually have a 2 digit year stamped on the head. I think those are pretty collectible. Just be very careful around the railroad. Those guys don't play around with people. I'm not talking about being hit or anything. I've just heard of people being prosecuted for picking up spikes along the line.

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang that is unfortunate. It's sad how much history gets covered up every day to be lost for the next few hundred years at least. I've heard that trains used to stop an dump there trash in certain areas. Maybe you can find one of them. Also certain railroad spikes will actually have a 2 digit year stamped on the head. I think those are pretty collectible. Just be very careful around the railroad. Those guys don't play around with people. I'm not talking about being hit or anything. I've just heard of people being prosecuted for picking up spikes along the line.

These tracks have been abandoned for YEARS. If you watch the tracks on google earth they actually lead to nowhere. I have dug plenty of spikes and pieces of the track but have never cleaned them up.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh awesome. I didn't realize it was abandoned. In that case I would do the same. If you are in to the rustic look, you can make some cool coat hangers with those spikes.

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh awesome. I didn't realize it was abandoned. In that case I would do the same. If you are in to the rustic look, you can make some cool coat hangers with those spikes.

I will have to look that up. Never heard of that lol I never bring that stuff home and they have been kind of a nuisance just cause I ALWAYS dig them up.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have way more than I come across. I just made one for my garage. I don't know if you recycle metal for money but I know for sure taking them there is a no no abandoned or not lol. I just took a load of junk in the other day and there was a sheriff there watching a video of someone dumping a bunch of those flat plates off the tracks. They were just gonna let him show back up and then the cops would be on the way. Sucks for him. Anyway, not trying to tell you what to do or anything. You probably already know anyway. I hope you find a lot more cool stuff. Be sure to post it for us if you don't mind. HH

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have way more than I come across. I just made one for my garage. I don't know if you recycle metal for money but I know for sure taking them there is a no no abandoned or not lol. I just took a load of junk in the other day and there was a sheriff there watching a video of someone dumping a bunch of those flat plates off the tracks. They were just gonna let him show back up and then the cops would be on the way. Sucks for him. Anyway, not trying to tell you what to do or anything. You probably already know anyway. I hope you find a lot more cool stuff. Be sure to post it for us if you don't mind. HH

Oh I will and that is why I dont even bother with them, but if I could make something cool out of them I might get a few.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing that is certain about this site is that I dig A LOT of mason jar lids with the white glass in the lids and I have also been digging some pieces of china plates. Really pretty designs. One piece I dug says made in germany.

Hey mreese,

This is where I start paying close attention to the ground. Probing as I go, maybe digging a test hole or three. There's stuff there , I can smell it. 8-)

I'd make sure of where I was, though. Carrying shovels and clam rakes into the park, might not be the ticket.

I did get to dig at an urban park that was having a massive sewer project pass through it. The land had previously been a 1900- to 1940ish dump. This park was, and still is a dump.

I think more than a handful of urban parks were former dumps. Balboa comes first to mind.

balboa-park-landfill-0011.JPG

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey mreese,

This is where I start paying close attention to the ground. Probing as I go, maybe digging a test hole or three. There's stuff there , I can smell it. 8-)

I'd make sure of where I was, though. Carrying shovels and clam rakes into the park, might not be the ticket.

I did get to dig at an urban park that was having a massive sewer project pass through it. The land had previously been a 1900- to 1940ish dump. This park was, and still is a dump.

I think more than a handful of urban parks were former dumps. Balboa comes first to mind.

balboa-park-landfill-0011.JPG

I don't think this land was part of the current park though. I think it may have had something to do with the mill. There doesn't seem to be a lot of trashy finds and the stump of the old chimneys tells me something lol I haven't been able to hit it real hard, but hopefully I can find some time to do some quality digging real soon. I might start digging up that discriminated metal that is EVERYWHERE to see if I can produce some good signals from underneath. One thing is sure, I have not found one single pull tab, can, or any normal everyday find that you could consider trash. It is all stuff that I wouldnt consider modern or that I recognize.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig every signal and eliminate the trash

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions