Please help, need bottle ID.

Plum Wash

Aug 1, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1585.jpg IMG_2324.jpg IMG_0377.jpg IMG_6659.jpg IMG_4357.jpg While out MDing today I uncovered these bottles next to my initial target which turned out to be

an old iron pot. I have to admit I do not know a thing about bottles but they are really nice and I

would rather dig these than an old rusty pot. Thank you in advance for any info that you may have.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell from your pics but find the mold seam and tell us if it runs all the way up through the lip. If it does it is from the 20th century. If not then it could be significantly older.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first pic looks 100% identical to one that I have.

OP
OP
P

Plum Wash

Aug 1, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell from your pics but find the mold seam and tell us if it runs all the way up through the lip. If it does it is from the 20th century. If not then it could be significantly older.

The mold seam does NOT run all the way up. And there appears to be some bubbles in the glass. Sorry for the pics the light was messing with me.

OP
OP
P

Plum Wash

Aug 1, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first pic looks 100% identical to one that I have.

I also found some broken bottles that where light purple in color. were you able to identify the first one ?

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
...I have to admit I do not know a thing about bottles but they are really nice and

would rather dig these than an old rusty pot...

Hello Plum Wash,

Welcome to TNet & the joys of bottle digging. I quite agree,

You've got a couple druggist bottles that appear to be from the last 2 decades of the 19th century, or there abouts. The diggers call them "Slicks" because they are unembossed. I've frequently found old bottles thrown out in raggedy old pots & buckets.

That spot is the right age for glass, and where you find 2...

Here's a great site about old glass bottles: Historic Bottle Website - Homepage

labeledgroup.jpg

Last edited:

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plum Wash said:
I also found some broken bottles that where light purple in color. were you able to identify the first one ?

Sorry I don't know what mine is either. Most likely it had a paper label that is long gone. Mine is older also. If those are your first bottle finds then you are pretty lucky. No real value but not everyone finds 19th century glass their first time

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the reason they look crude is because they were blown in a mold and then the lip was applied by hand. That is why the mold seam stops where it does.

OP
OP
P

Plum Wash

Aug 1, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Surf. I know there is more out there. It was getting dark and the bottles were deep.

I will have to get back soon as the California dirt becomes like concrete not long after a good rain.

Will definitely check out that website. Thanks for all your help and Happy Hunting.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also as far as your shards go, if they have any embossing on them surf or one of the other experienced members may be able to ID it. I am still very much an amateur in the bottle world. Hopefully these finds will get you to looking for old dumps or privies. Digging old bottles is every bit as much fun as detecting.

OP
OP
P

Plum Wash

Aug 1, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I don't know what mine is either. Most likely it had a paper label that is long gone. Mine is older also. If those are your first bottle finds then you are pretty lucky. No real value but not everyone finds 19th century glass their first time

It was all by accident that I found those bottles, You never know what your MD will lead you too. I now have a new favorite hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread