Bass Assassin 6

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This next story is a story of two...

The basin where I have been finding these bottles is not ten miles as the crow flies from the furthest point north that William Clark made it to on the Pacific coast in 1805. The area at the time was a kind of Indian metropolis of sorts’, lots of villages, lots of trade, abundant year-round food sources…this was before disease wiped out entire bands and left villages empty. The actual basin wasn’t a village but rather, as locals tell it, (and by locals I mean descendants of the original Chinooks), this spot was a meeting place between four villages for trade, gossip, meetings and the like. It has a year-round fresh water source, is sheltered from waves and can be accessed by canoe or on foot. When the area was settled this spot remained popular as a gathering, picnic and, from what I have heard, barter spot. I have found trade beads here; in fact I have found the EXACT type of very distinct beads that have been excavated from Lewis and Clark’s “Fort Clatsop”. I have also heard stories that a blacksmith would set up his forge on the beach and practice his trade. I believe this to be true too as I have found handmade copper blacksmithing tools here. Like this soldering iron…

Anyway since the history of this piece of beach seems to be social….some of the bottles I find seem to have a “recreational” function.

I went back to the basin a few weeks after my fifth bottle pretty much assuming my luck had run out. Sure enough I found my usual pocketful of agates, bullets, coins, marbles etc...but no bottles. So I got back into my pattern of long all day beach walks and started in on scouting for other stuff...found some floats, some this, some that. The weather had moved into spring and there was a lot of glorious 15 minutes of sun mixed with miserable 15 minutes of rain and hail on and off for a month or two. This was also when the tsunami stuff from Japan was starting to show up along with a lot of "not Japanese but still east Asian" stuff that rode the tide with it. (But this is a different story). Anyway over the (probably) next two months I pulled right out of the clay...not a foot or two from where my son found the very first "Beggs" bottle, these two old wine bottles. Notice the rolled in the mold necks, no seam, lack of embossing and the really, really deep punts. I gotta wonder where they came from and what exactly was in them.

Attachments

• IMGP6515.JPG
    IMGP6515.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC01647.JPG
    DSC01647.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC01646.JPG
    DSC01646.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC02088.JPG
    DSC02088.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC02090.JPG
    DSC02090.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC01649.JPG
    DSC01649.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 127

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not one but 2 !!!! Amazing!!! This "spot" has to be a black hole where goodies keep falling from the past. The story just gets better and better.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey unclemac,

This is a beach I'd love to walk. Please take your camera one day... I'd love to see floats, tsunami debris, you know, the gamut...

The latest two are both wine styles, probably made in a turn moulds, accounting for the lack of seams. The high shouldered one is a Bordeaux style, and the one with the sloping shoulders is a Burgundy shape.

From the Department of Arcane Bottle Morphology; the knob at the center of the kickup base, is called a Mamelon.

"Mamelon - The following description of a mamelon is from Jones & Sullivan (1989): "A rounded eminence, a small circular protrusion found on the basal surface, usually at the tip of the pushup. These may be a type of vent mark...On champagne bottles the mamelon is large and protuberant." Click mamelon base for a picture of a early 20th century wine bottle that shows a mamelon in the center of the base. As noted, it is thought by some that the mamelon acted as an early form of air venting which facilitated the exit of the hot gases around the expanding bottle and allowed for a quicker and better "fit" of the hot glass to the sides of the mold (Boow 1991). The line between a mamelon and an embossed dot in the middle of an indented base (a common bottle base feature) is vague, although a mamelon would be more protrusive than a typical embossed dot, though both are formed the same way (by molding); mamelons are uncommonly encountered on free-blown and dip-molded bottles (Jones 1986)." Bottle Glossary Page

winetonicbase.jpg
Bottle Morphology

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I can do that ...I must have a photo or two of the beach. Mamelon...who knew....

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unclemac, you keep mentioning finding coins at the "magic spot." May i ask if you could list some of them.? Very interested in hearing the types and years on those as well. ...if its not too much trouble. Those last 2 bottles are pretty sweet

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
nothing very interesting, lots of wheat backs, a mercury or two, Indian head from 1887, nickels and some quarters all in all about 4 $ or so mostly in pennies all VERY salt water worn and patinated. Some so thin they are like paper almost. I pick them up as curiosities ...did find one from France once...all in the same spot 100 yards south of my bottle spot but in the same basin.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is... Too quiet. I don't think there will be any digging until this weekend. Unfortunately i will not be one of the diggers... Been a gloomy day today. Went out on a twenty minute drive south of town to try to get permission from a farmer to use a metal detector in his corn field until he gets it re-planted. Spent another hour tracking him down ad he was out on 1 of the 4 tractors being used. After waiting for an opportunity to ask each driver if they were the owner, then eliminating 2 of them, i finally found him. Then i politely made small talk with him and explained what i was asking for, He quickly turned me down. Its been a long day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread