Bass Assassin 7

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This next installment is a story of threes. The “Beggs” bottle wasn’t exactly the first bottle I found at my site…but it was the first in my long and recent string. Years ago I was taking care of my cousins kids for a few weeks and I took them camping at my beach. This pack of wild animals was from a town outside of Chicago and I would drive them around the west in the summers to help minimize the crushing boredom that is called “the Midwest”. I mean to say….the highest point in their town, if not their county, was the landfill and all you can do as a kid at midnight in August is pray for death as you lay in your bed being suffocated by the heat and humidity. So out of the goodness of my heart I would take them in and lead them on adventures.

Like I said this was years ago, when the basin wasn’t quite as eroded and the clay not so exposed. In those days it was not uncommon to pick up an arrowhead at this spot and we were hunting around for just that…when one of them brings me this umbrella ink bottle with a chip out of the top…right from the spot that would later become THE spot where my 100 year old bottles are coming out of. It is a pretty neat looking one too…notice the writing that is INSIDE the bottle…I just can’t really make out what it says, backwards I think it is. Then another kid brings me this ink blotter on top of it all.

After that the next bottle I found after the two wine bottles was in fact ANOTHER ink.
It is the little square-ish one with the orange hue. Don’t really know too much about that one but would love some guesses. I found it a good 50 feet to the south of my spot but still in the basin. It still has its cork inside it too.

The third one is marked “Thomas Inks” on the bottom with the number “18”. Now this one has a better story. My cousins kids are all growed up now and having kids of their own and their father (my cousin) has kept coming out to visit me every few years. (Always with a different lady friend who thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread). He loves the beach too and I take him down with me whenever he comes out. So there we are walking the basin and I am telling them the story of me finding all those bottles one at a time over in that spot over there (me pointing it to them). His current girlfriend walks over to the spot I am pointing to…bends over and says “like this?”…and hands me the ink…and that makes three.

Attachments

• DSC03308.JPG
    DSC03308.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC03315.JPG
    DSC03315.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 174
  • DSC03356.JPG
    DSC03356.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC03312.JPG
    DSC03312.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC03307.JPG
    DSC03307.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 125

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
763333d1363917327-bass-assassin-7-dsc03315.jpg

Hello unclemac,

Thanks for another great tale of hide & seek on your magical beach. That's a wonderful trio of inks, each with it's own memory. I'm seeing that as the ghost of an old label on the umbrella, but can't make it out. It's up to you. "Your mission, shall you decide to accept it..."

The little amber guy, I would call a semi cabin ink, looks 1870ish to me.

I like the blotter alot. Is it mahogany? Who, other than you, finds those, is what I wanna know. This is a first for me. Well done.

Levi Thomas was a prodigious ink producer, in a variety of bottles, including paper.

"The company was founded sometime in the 1860s by Dr. Levi H. Thomas, a homeopathic physician in Waterbury, VT., where he began his ink business in a nearby barn. He moved to Reading, MI. in 1872, then to Chicago, IL. in 1879. The company used an assortment of ink and bulk ink bottles beginning in the 1860s into at least the mid to late 1910s as machine-made bottles have been observed by the author (Covill 1971; Faulkner 2009; empirical observations)." Household Bottles

thomaslabeled.jpg

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I'm seeing that as the ghost of an old label on the umbrella, but can't make it out. It's up to you. "Your mission, shall you decide to accept it..."

I was hoping YOU would do that!!!!!

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I like the blotter alot. Is it mahogany?

I am thinking it looks more like oak to me...

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. What can i say. Finding the blotter is unbelievable. I agree with surf, I would love to see some pictures of this magical place. The thomas bottle is really neat. All are great finds. Thanks for the story, again!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
DSC01510.jpg

A Thomas and a little burst top night lamp.

x.jpg

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
I found one of those burst tops in the outback in New South Wales.....talk about a hunters paradise!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread