Bass Assassin 13

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Now I have told you about my middle son “good luck boy” but I have only hinted at his amazing powers. I have 3 sons but they are spaced pretty evenly over about 30 years. As each one was growing up I would spend their years from ages about 5 to 13 or so traveling around the world (but especially the west). It was always just me and him (one at a time) until the first one got too old to want to go and the younger one was begging to go. The oldest one is a “Jonah”. And that’s not to insult him…it is just plain fact. Every time we went ANYWHERE we ran into unforeseen problems. It got to be such a cliché that when we would start on a road trip we would wait for it to happen so we could relax in knowing the rest of the trip would be smooth.

But “good luck boy”….now that is another story. When he was about 7 or so I put him in the car on a Friday night after work and pointed the car south…with no destination in mind. We would do that kind of thing all the time…often driving 5 hours ONE WAY for a burger at our favorite joint and then turning around and heading home. Well we drove for about seven hours or so to a place called Umpqua Dunes in Oregon. We found a cheap roadside motel and spent the night. In the morning we got up and decided to poke around the dunes. Now if you have never been to the Oregon dunes you should know it is a mini Sahara desert of sorts of huge sand dunes right on the Pacific coast. Most people go there to play on the dunes but don’t make it to the actual beach because walking more than a mile up and down steep dunes of loose sand that slides with every step is pretty dam much not fun. But my son wanted to and since by then I had learned to follow his hunches, we did so.

Wow…all I can say is wow! When we got to the actual thin strip of beach we found bottles EVERY WHERE! We were loading up our pockets and that got ridiculous, I tried taking off my coat and making a bundle but that didn’t work….(remember we still have to go BACK a mile plus over difficult terrain)… Finally, in keeping with “good luck boy’s” good luck, we found one of those big plastic 5 gallon buckets that they sell laundry detergent in and loaded it up. We loaded it, our pockets and our free hands….and we still had to leave bottles on the beach! But at least the ones we left behind were unremarkable, unmarked and very common. Here are a few of the kinds we found, they were all about the same age it seems, all cork tops, with the corks inside. I always wondered if they came from some newly washed out dump. I wonder what washed up the day after we left, or the day before we got there.

Attachments

• DSC03481.JPG
    DSC03481.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC03482.JPG
    DSC03482.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC03483.JPG
    DSC03483.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC03485.JPG
    DSC03485.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC03498.JPG
    DSC03498.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC03497.JPG
    DSC03497.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 106

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! Could I perhaps rent your son out for a few weeks :)

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
you ain't heard nothing yet. ....for example, one time we were at the beach with a couple I knew, looking for arrowheads. We were sniffing around a likely spot when my friends wife ...who had heard stories of his luck...said "do you have your lucky arrowhead finders on?"...he reached down, at her feet, dug THIS out of the sand and said, "yes I do."

Attachments

• DSC01429.JPG
    DSC01429.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 109

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
KWS470.jpg

Hey unclemac,

Thanks for another lucky beach boy story. Does the Varwig & Son have internal threads by chance?

"H. Varwig & Son listed from 1878-1915.

Herman Varwig was owner of a saloon ca. 1869-1873, then went into the bakery business, then returned to the liquor business with a liquor store in 1878. In 1888 his son joined the business and they became H. Varwig & Son.

The 1901 and 1903 directories shows that the company is owned by Louis and Sophia Varwig, with Herman F Varwig as book-keeper, and a Thomas P Varwig as "Travel Agent."

In 1904 and 1905, the company consists of Louis, Minnie, and Thomas P Varwig. The directory also lists a Jennie Varwig and a May Varwig, both as widows of Herman F Varwig.

They remained at their store on Front Street until Prohibition hit OR in 1915. They registered the "Vim" brand (R: 1905) and must have been distributors of the "R. Bond" brand, registered by Milis & Johnson Co. of Cincinnati, OH in 1876." pre-Pro Shot Glass: "Vim Pure Rye H Varwig & Son [enamel]"

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice looking company logo on your bottle. Looks like the whole family was able to work and prosper under the family name. Do you still visit the sand dunes beach? Thanks for another great bottle story

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:

Hey unclemac,

Thanks for another lucky beach boy story. Does the Varwig & Son have internal threads by chance?

...no, I don't believe it does...now just how does that affect the date I wonder?

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Thats a nice looking company logo on your bottle. Looks like the whole family was able to work and prosper under the family name. Do you still visit the sand dunes beach? Thanks for another great bottle story

...I did go back a couple of times...found nothing....

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unclemac said:
...sad thing is, he can't find a decent job anywhere.....

I'm really sorry to hear that man. I work in the oilfield and I just now got this good job. I'd been searching for about a month and a half. Tell him to keep his head up. He will find one.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
talk about boom and bust!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread